Nursing Home Insulin Killer Sentenced

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

Former New South Wales nursing home employee Garry Steven Davis has been sentenced to 40 years in jail for murdering two residents and attempting to murder a third.

In September, the 29-year-old was found guilty of injecting residents with insulin at the SummitCare nursing home in Wallsend over a two-day period in October, 2013.

I hope he gets a really bad time in prison for the next 40 years.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...arry-davis-jailed-for-40-years-murder/8115392

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So do I. To do something like that, he deserves to suffer for every one of those 40 years.

Good grief!! Did you notice what his barrister said: "Mr Watson also argued the offences were mid-range in terms of objective seriousness, as the victims were elderly and vulnerable due to their health." :eek: That bl**dy barrister ought to be joining him in clink :mad:

"mid-range" indeed (hurrumph !) "victims were elderly and vulnerable due to their health" yes they were! and should have been protected and cared for even more, on those grounds alone. I'm fuming.

I'm also reminded that we had Harold Shipman, a GP here in UK who thought he was God, and that it was ok to bump off the old 'uns.

How on earth do we protect vulnerable people from those who abuse their power? I don't think there's an easy answer.

Reactions: Struma
D

Deleted member 308541

The barrister was not to fussy who he represented that's for sure.

I remember that Shipman feller.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
If Davis gets Diabetes whilst in prison will he be given insulin.?:sour:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
We had a male nurse in Oregon, USA about 25 years ago who did the same thing-giving lethal injections to older patients-sometimes overdosing insulin and not feeding diabetic patients, and giving too much morphine to some with cancer. It turned out he was not actually trying to kill them-just to make his workload lighter for that shift. He lost his nursing license and was sentenced to manslaughter instead of murder, because he did not intend to kill them. I thought that was an injustice-if he did not know he was giving lethal doses then he should not have had the license in the first place-it was murder not an accident when some of them died after he gave them higher than prescribed doses of their medications-I also wondered how he got away with using more medication than he should have because pain killers are tightly controlled in the hospital.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a male nurse in Oregon, USA about 25 years ago who did the same thing-giving lethal injections to older patients-sometimes overdosing insulin and not feeding diabetic patients, and giving too much morphine to some with cancer. It turned out he was not actually trying to kill them-just to make his workload lighter for that shift. He lost his nursing license and was sentenced to manslaughter instead of murder, because he did not intend to kill them. I thought that was an injustice-if he did not know he was giving lethal doses then he should not have had the license in the first place-it was murder not an accident when some of them died after he gave them higher than prescribed doses of their medications-

Agree. How did he maintain his practicing licence/registration until then? He clearly wasn't competent. It's bizarre how some people seem to get away with the most unbelievable defence tactics

[/QUOTE]I also wondered how he got away with using more medication than he should have because pain killers are tightly controlled in the hospital.[/QUOTE]

Obviously not as tightly controlled as they should have been, at that hospital - hope they were suitably castigated for failure to properly monitor or check drugs controls.

Standards overall are so much more lax now than they used to be (actually, in all walks of life, if you think about it). The excuse is too often staff or money shortages, or both - it's wearing more than a bit thin in my book.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
realy bad when some one who has trained to look after people when they are sick and eldderly turns bad

Reactions: SWUSA_
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a male nurse in Oregon, USA about 25 years ago who did the same thing-giving lethal injections to older patients-sometimes overdosing insulin and not feeding diabetic patients, and giving too much morphine to some with cancer. It turned out he was not actually trying to kill them-just to make his workload lighter for that shift. He lost his nursing license and was sentenced to manslaughter instead of murder, because he did not intend to kill them. I thought that was an injustice-if he did not know he was giving lethal doses then he should not have had the license in the first place-it was murder not an accident when some of them died after he gave them higher than prescribed doses of their medications-I also wondered how he got away with using more medication than he should have because pain killers are tightly controlled in the hospital.
I would think you are giving us the version after the lawyer had garbled it. You must admit it's imaginative to claim that someone innocently killed some people just to lighten his workload. It's not a logical defence (English spelling) since he must have noticed they weren't asking to go to the toilet so much.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

As a nurse he would know full well of the consequences of his actions, a despicable act :mad:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I would think you are giving us the version after the lawyer had garbled it. You must admit it's imaginative to claim that someone innocently killed some people just to lighten his workload. It's not a logical defence (English spelling) since he must have noticed they weren't asking to go to the toilet so much.
Although you would think that law is based on logic it actually isn't-ours is based on legal precedent and intent.