Nuts

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walnuts and Almonds are very good for people who have diabetes, I have been told that we should not eat Brazil nuts and not to eat roasted or salted nuts.

why shouldn´t we et brazil nuts ? I have heard that too many brazil nuts are not good because of some toxin from a fungus type, but it is okay to eat some ... I love brazil nut because there is hardly any carbs in them.... macadamia-nuts are very very low in carbs too, but rather expensive and I find their taste a litlle uninteresting

I usually buy my nuts at bulk powder in UK... but at the moment they dont have many to order...
but found this very fine web-shop in UK where the nuts are rather cheap I think if bought in large amounts..
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/nuts.html
do any of you know it this is a reliable shop ?

Last edited:

sonia2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a newbie with type 2 I am confused about whether eating nuts as a snack is a good or bad idea! Health booklet says no, diabetic cookbooks and online say yes. Help please.
I am a newbie too, (diagnosed T2 eleven months ago), so welcome to the forum. I have found it enormously helpful over the past ten months. I eat nuts as snacks but in small quantities, e.g. 1 oz. and avoid cashews as they appear to have more carbs. My A1c has dropped to 37 after following a LCHF diet and taking Glucophage. I do have a highish cholesterol for which I take a low dose statin, but my cholesterol ratios were actually getting better just on the LCHF diet before starting the statin. I think nuts are very nutritious and good for you in moderation. Best of luck to you.