1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Oats so simple

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by darrenjallen, Nov 6, 2017.

1. darrenjallen

darrenjallen Prediabetes · Member

Is oats so simple ok for pre diabetes? I work nights and struggle on what to eat

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

If you have a meter this will tell you exactly what it does to your blood sugar levels. Everyone has a different reaction to the same foods. Your reaction will be personal to you. If you don't have a meter, then I strongly urge you to buy one.

Meanwhile, start checking the nutrition labels on your packaged foods and look for the Total Carbohydrate content (ignore the of which sugars) The higher the carb content the more likely it will be to give you a glucose spike, and how bad the spike will depend on the portion size you eat - plus whatever you eat with it of course!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You really need to try, test and see what they do to your blood glucose level. Some people can tolerate oats/porridge, I've tried several different kinds and they all elevate my BG more than I'd like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They *might* be OK, but they'll be pretty carby, so I would personally advise against. When I first got diagnosed, I started having a couple of spoons of quaker instant for breakfast, and they didn't exactly do any damage to my long term results, however, they were definitely spiking my blood glucose quite a lot- because I tended to keep it in the low 4 range, I would have the instant oats and it would put me up to 6 or 7, so I was sort of within acceptable levels. Still, once I saw what it was doing, I stopped eating oatmeal altogether.
    When I'm stuck at work, I eat things like boiled eggs, tinned meat, tinned fish, ham- stuff like that: it's very portable and easy to eat- I keep tins in my drawer for when I need them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are about 30 gm per pot in the original one - that is a lot of carbs in one go.
    I am diet controlled but was full on diabetic a year ago. Even after good control for six months I'd be wary of eating that as I'd rocket into double figures.
    Are you restricted in time or what/where you can eat?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. darrenjallen

Thanks guys. I'll stay away from then. I work four night shifts per week and finding it a bit hard to find a snack that gets me through the night and gives me energy.

7. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Read the labels. Should say how many grams of carbs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

You may not need to stay away from it completely - if you self test, but for the time being it is probably a wise plan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

I work shifts too. I usually have cooked chicken with either broccoli and a little gravy or salad and some dressing as my main meal. Snacks are nuts, dark chocolate, pork scratching, jelly or low carb protein bars with a coffee and cream. I keep a sports bag in the boot of the car full of options and just top it up every now and again.

• Like Like x 2
  10. darrenjallen

Thanks Mark. A good range of suggestions. I did not know we could hab e dark chocolate. Yummy:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The best quality dark chocolate can be lower in sugar then you expect, it is also very costly, hence eating only a little bit each day, that also reduces the carbs from it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jamesyao

jamesyao Type 2 · Newbie

If you love it so much, eat half then take a read on 30 minute, 60 minute and 2hr. If the spike is less than 0.5, you can add half at the next time till the spike is more than 0.5. I found the best and delicious snack is macadamia and hazelnut.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook