Obese with lada?

robinthebird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey was wondering if there where any heavy or obese people out there who where told one type and found out they have lada? Thanks

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm definitely "heavy" and my bodyweight classifies me as obese (I'm 5ft 10inches). Last year, I was at about 225lbs before I started losing about 40pounds and found out I had type 1. It's been nearly 1.5 years since I first showed signs of diabetes so I think some might consider that to be LADA.

Edit- I weigh about 205 lbs now.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think it would be unusual for someone overweight to be LADA rather than T2 but it's quite possible. I think @TorqPenderloin would agree that he's heavily into exercise and hence the weight may be muscle not fat!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, anyone can develop T1, young, old, slim or obese, so yes, it must be possible. It is just a bit more likely that it happens when younger.
A lot of medical professionals see an adult fat person and immediately pigeonhole them as T2, but mistakes are made.

Have you asked for the GAD and/or c-peptide tests that will confirm the diagnosis?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am overweight, but had high ketones when diagnosed. They initially said they didn't know but did tests straight away and high antibody count led to a T1 diagnosis. But on my DAFNE course there was an overweight person who had initially been diagnosed T2 and then rediagnosed T1 after having DKA.

robinthebird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed less than 2 yrs ago. I was always a bigger girl so they always kept testing me and 4 yrs ago I was in normal range. I have a few type 1s and 1.5 in the family but they just classified me as type 2 when a1c came back 7.2. I went to an endocrinologist and he said he would run some tests for lada but I didn't see any GAD. I found out I had vitamin b12 and d deficiency, gout, im leaking protein in urine and hypothyroidism. One of my cousins had type 1 and lupus and died from kidney failure.. A c-peptide was run but it was normal and he didn't say anything about about if I had lada or anything. (I think it was in normal because of the 2 glipizide a day I as taking.) He went down to one a day and put me on invokana and trajenta I see him again in 2 months....he might have avoided telling me for now since he had to tell me the other things and I have a severe phobia of needles. Plus my c-peptide wasn't low. Idk what I should do. Thanks...