Off CGM...

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very glad to hear you are back in the game, Eng. x

Its a game I'm not enjoying atm Spiker I've gotta be honest. Busy life is requireing carbs to be eaten (resteraunts bearly can do GF) and bloods are seemingly sky high a lot (thats teens for me these days!) But Hba1c is getting to 'green' which i do like. What do people think of the Iwatch also? whos putting bets on how long before we can connect the CGM? :p how awesome will that be!!!

Hows the foot doing these days?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah yes that whole "life" thing. Sure does get in the way of stringent glycemic control. I feel for you Eng. Hang in there - you know you are doing the right thing. It's just bloody hard at times.

The pesky foot has turned on its owner again so I'm feeding it antibiotics and it seems to have calmed down. The CGM went from mental to perfect within two hours of popping a clarithymycin.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Its a game I'm not enjoying atm Spiker I've gotta be honest. Busy life is requireing carbs to be eaten (resteraunts bearly can do GF) and bloods are seemingly sky high a lot (thats teens for me these days!) But Hba1c is getting to 'green' which i do like. What do people think of the Iwatch also? whos putting bets on how long before we can connect the CGM? :p how awesome will that be!!!

Hows the foot doing these days?

Saw the iWatch the other day on TV but seeing yr msg has reminded me of cgm in the cloud and the Pebble smartwatch

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
****. I just got SENSOR ERROR #1 too. Starting my 3rd session. Luckily did not need a restart, it resolved itself. But the graph is looking very patchy and variable.

The 2nd session too had some serious disconnects between meter and CGM. I put that down to not enough calibration on my part.

I wonder if there is a bad batch of G4 sensors going round?

Shame as I finally seem to have mastered the art of getting the bloody things to stay stuck on for more than a week!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And the Libre looks incredible.

Davies says no fingerstick calibration which seems to conflict with other sources. But if that is true... incredible!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And the Libre looks incredible.

Davies says no fingerstick calibration which seems to conflict with other sources. But if that is true... incredible!

Abbott advertises no need to calibrate too

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I think im most interested to see if we can extend the sensor over the 14 days like we do with dex? I will def look into getting one as a bg/keto meter would save carrying two machines in my work bag at least.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
****. I just got SENSOR ERROR #1 too. Starting my 3rd session. Luckily did not need a restart, it resolved itself. But the graph is looking very patchy and variable.

The 2nd session too had some serious disconnects between meter and CGM. I put that down to not enough calibration on my part.

I wonder if there is a bad batch of G4 sensors going round?

Shame as I finally seem to have mastered the art of getting the bloody things to stay stuck on for more than a week!
If you have error 1 then it's due to a big difference in the finger poke and sensor reading. I've had 2 sensors do that to me and after only being inserted for 24 hours. Both were replaced by Animas.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have error 1 then it's due to a big difference in the finger poke and sensor reading. I've had 2 sensors do that to me and after only being inserted for 24 hours. Both were replaced by Animas.

I had this problem with my current sensor, very erratic with errors for the first 30 hours or so. I was on the verge of taking it out but decided to leave it until after dinner. The next reading though seemed pretty good so stuck with it. I'm now on day 6 and it seems fine. Just don't ask me to explain it...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm, seems like there is some kind of disturbance in the Force, as if a million sensors cried out in agony and perished....

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky, all my sensors so far were good, no errors. But I'm only on my second box...

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I recentley transfered to a London hospital (charing cross) for my type 1 diabetes and i am seriously considering getting a CGM as i have lost all my awareness of hypos
and my hubby had to pack up work due to my hypos being so erratic. tried a insulin pump back in 2010 and had a bad time with it and
could not get along with it, I feel that a CGM will help me and my hubby can then go back to work and i could possibly do a part time job as well.
I have had 3 diabetic consultants tell me that i have a tight control of my sugar levels and they can't work out why my sugars keep dropping.
My insulin ratio was 0.8 to 10g carbs and consultant told me to reduce it to 0.7 to 10g carbs which i done about a month ago but hypos are still
happening so may have to reduce to 0.6 to 10g carbs i feel that this is a very small amount of insulin i have had type 1 now for over 30 years it seems my body is sensitive to insulin. Hospital mentioned about another insulin pump but i am not 100 per cent about having a pump i don't feel comfortable
with this. But from what i have read a CGM would help and be a lot better. As far as i am aware the hospital fund CGM's . Does anyone have any advise on the procedure to getting a CGM?

tracey167

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If the sensor is similar to the navigator then it will be extendable. I could extend on Navigator, BUT the glue sticking was dreadful...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually on its 3rd session this sensor has been pretty flawless, tracking the fingerprick readings within a few % despite me being very lax with my calibrations.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Tracey167 hospital funding for a full time CGM is rare. However paying for a CGM privately is a lot cheaper than your husband having to quit work!

Also if you take the hospital up on the offer of a pump you can use that as a CGM receiver and save £1200 odd in start up costs (make sure it is a CGM enabled pump).

I would strongly recommend the Dexcom G4 CGM sensor and the Animus Vibe pump as a receiver. If you really don't want a pump, shell out for the standalone Dexcom receiver.

If your hospital will fund a CGM, bite their arm off.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need to find out if your CCG funds CGM's. Hospitals will give them, and they will write letters to the CCG appealing their decision when (if) they turn you down. Just trying to make it clear that it is CCG's that fund. Bucks did fund CGM's. Northants don't. So although I go to a hospital in Bucks and they are more than willing to give CGM's -my CCG because of living just 25 miles away will not fund it, despite appeals.