Offended by official, mandatory training material...

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I'm 45 and have just been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I am fed up of people assuming I developed this because I am fat, lazy and eat **** and that it was my own fault for not looking after myself! I am a little overweight, but not obese by any standard, and that has only been in the last couple of years. I eat a balanced diet with plenty of whole grains and very little added sugar, and I'm quite active. I hate telling anyone about my diabetes because of this. Even type 1 diabetics seem to have this attitude, that they have 'proper' diabetes, but type 2 is self-inflicted!!! Sorry about the rant but it really gets my back up!

SNAP - Exactly what happened in my case 5 years ago. It makes me so angry that I religiously followed the 5-a-day type dietary recommendations and ate what was apparently a "healthy" diet then get blamed for being fat and lazy cos it gave me diabetes. The highest my BMI has ever been is slightly over 27 and I'm a very tall guy anyway who wears 34" waist jeans. My advice is use the anger against the disease rather than against other people who are only reciting what the media says.

Good luck

Reactions: MarkE

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To be fair, there actually isn't such a thing as pre-diabetes. Up to an including an HbA1c of 47 a person is non-diabetic. Pre-diabetes isn't a condition. It is when a person's glucose is approaching diabetes and they are deemed to be at risk. There is no official diagnosis because it isn't an illness, just a risk of becoming diabetic in the future.

What do you consider to be a "normal" fasting glucose for non-diabetics? I can't actually see where diabetes.co.uk has stated this. That column is blank, as is the one for T2. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

It's in the next table.

It also goes on to state

'The NICE guidelines regard a fasting plasma glucose result of 5.5 mmol/l as putting someone at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, particularly when accompanied by other risk factors for type 2 diabetes'

which doesn't agree with the tables normal limit of below 6.1, or the pre diabetic range of 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/l

Dark Horse

It's in the next table.

It also goes on to state

'The NICE guidelines regard a fasting plasma glucose result of 5.5 mmol/l as putting someone at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, particularly when accompanied by other risk factors for type 2 diabetes'

which doesn't agree with the tables normal limit of below 6.1, or the pre diabetic range of 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/l
Diabetes UK say this:-

“Prediabetes isn’t actually a clinical term which is recognised by the World Health Organization. In fact, the American Diabetes Association has set the level for prediabetes at a blood glucose measurement of HbA1C 5.7% (39mmol/mol) but it is the only organisation which uses this criteria. In the UK there is no defined criteria for prediabetes or borderline diabetes.

“So why do some clinicians still use it? Well we know that sometimes it can be useful when explaining your individual risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. It emphasises how serious it is to have high blood glucose levels. Between 5% and 10% of people with prediabetes go on to develop Type 2 diabetes each year.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Prediabetes-whats-it-all-about/
As prediabetes isn't a defined clinical term, different people/organisations will have different cut-offs. I agree that the diabetes.co.uk page you referenced, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html , is confusing because it quotes the NICE value without putting it in context.