1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

OK so my codefree meter has arrived. Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by gardengnome42, Nov 1, 2017.

1. gardengnome42

gardengnome42 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I feel apprehensive at the thought of using it but I bought it in order to identify which foods cause problems. When do I test and what should I be looking for?

Although I know my HbA1c has been hovering around 41/42 for at least five years it suddenly rose to 43 last week and I was told to make an appointment with the nurse. What is likely to be the procedure - other than being given the NHS mantra and told to follow the eatwell plate [as if!]. My Total cholesterol was 6.7 which I think is high although the ratio was 2.6 which I think is fine? The Qrisk has risen to 17.7% so I will likely be offered a statin? [Don't want one]

No history of heart disease in the family although grandmother had Type 2 and complications. she still lived to 90 though ;).

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

This is the general idea of testing out foods:

Test immediately before you eat
    Test again 2 hours after first bite
    Look at the difference between the before and after levels, which need to be under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less.
    Keep a detailed food diary including portion sizes
    Record your levels near the food
    Also record other things that may affect the levels (exercise, stress etc)
    Keep doing this and look for patterns, such as a particular portion of food is not a good choice.
    Play around with portion sizes of carbs until you find the size that causes least problems.

Being organised and consistent is a good plan. Random testing tells you nothing.

Give it a go, and come back to us with some results.

Do make sure you wash your hands with soap and water, rinse thoroughly and dry carefully before testing.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A couple of extra tips. I find it less painful to prick the sides of my fingertips also change fingers regularly. Another thing don’t necessarily rule out a particular food or meal eaten at one time of day because your readings are too high. I find I can tolerate more carbs at dinner than I can at breakfast or lunch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a Codefree. The steps are easy enough, if you have any trouble please ask and remember to prick the side of your finger rather than the tip. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Just to be awkward, I test on the tips of my fingers. It hurts me less and I can't get any blood out of the sides! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes I have to squeeze like billy-o but other times I bleed like a stuck pig! Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. I've come to the conclusion that my big toe would be better, if only I could reach it :dead:

7. Bluetit1802

LOL. I am the same. Sometimes I feel I am squeezing the life out of my finger, and other times the blob appears quickly. Of course, squeezing isn't good - we end up with interstitial fluid mixed in with the blood, not to mention a lot of bruises!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wash hands in hot water for best blood flow.
    Adjust lancet device for lowest number consistent with getting enough blood, start with 3.
    Dip tip of test strip in the blood, it will suck up the correct amount.

9. gardengnome42

gardengnome42 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

OK thanks guys. there will be plenty of stress just doing it at first ! A bit like the way I feel when I throw the cuff round my arm to take my BP - stressful.

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

You will get used to it. It may take a few days though!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook