Old vs new insulin

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi

Has anyone else found that when you replace an insulin cartridge it seems to work better than the old one? One Novorapid cartridge probably lasts me about 10 days and I'm sure by that time it doesn't work as well as when I start a new one.

Has anyone else experienced this?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't noticed this. Have you checked for small air bubbles near the plunger that might build up over the 10 days?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unless the heat has affected the insulin I can't say I've noticed any difference tbh, the insulin pen I keep in my bedside drawer to take on waking probably lasts well up to and beyond 28 days.

Whenever I do get a run of bg readings that are high for no apparent reason then the first thing I do is to change the cartridge, doesn't happen too often thankfully!

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
A new research review shows no clear advantages for new long-acting insulin drugs compared with older insulin treatments for type 2 diabetes.

The reviewers included Karl Horvath, MD, of the internal medicine department at Austria's University of Graz.

They reviewed eight studies with a combined total of nearly 2,300 adults taking insulin therapy for type 2 diabetes.

The studies were published in medical journals between 2001 and 2006. They lasted for about six months to one year and took place in Europe, North America, South America, and Africa.

Each study was designed differently. Together, they compared an older insulin treatment called NPH to two newer, long-acting insulin treatments: Levemir (insulin detemir) and Lantus (insulin glargine).