omg just started having porridge and blood sugars rocketed

Lauraann

Dislikes
chavs !!
Usually have weetabix but have been advised to have plain porridge instead, blood sugars 9.2 on waking and 2 hours after breakfast are now 16.4, never been this high ever, any advice please as thought porridge is the best breakfast to have if diabetic

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: omg just started having porridge and blood sugars rocket

Laura, you have just found out that porridge is not good for you!

Some can get away with eating it and some can't, I can't eat it either because my levels go into double figures !

Best advice is to try something else and keep testing until you find suitable foods for you.

zhaith

Sadly porridge like most cereals is high carb something like 60g per 100g off the top of my head which is going to spike your level I had the same with a bowl of oatibix 5.4 before 14.1 after, so whilst they don't work for me they may others everyone is different I'm afraid it is going to be trial error to find what foods work for you.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Lauraann

Dislikes
chavs !!

doh , thought was being really good eating it, to be honest it hasn't really filled me up either, wonder if I should go back to weetabix or try shredded wheat, does this cause spikes or does anyone know what other breakfast may be ok, atkins do a low carb muesli I might try that, this is all sooooo confusing :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Lauraann,

As Sue said earlier some find that they can handle porridge without any huge spikes and others don't, only by testing do we find out which works for us.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Lauraann said:
doh , thought was being really good eating it, to be honest it hasn't really filled me up either, wonder if I should go back to weetabix or try shredded wheat, does this cause spikes or does anyone know what other breakfast may be ok, atkins do a low carb muesli I might try that, this is all sooooo confusing :?

Most of the cereals I have tried have not been good for MY Bg levels. Hence I looked for alternatives which didn't spike me or raise levels over a longer period.Things that fit in with MY likes and dislikes.

As Nigel and others say, trial and error to find what affect things have on YOU.........

Minky

Oh bother. Been having porridge for breakfast this last year, thinking I was being healthy. Newly diagnosed with diabetes today via fasting blood test. Apparently a level of 9 is not good news. DH already has Type 2 diabetes controlled with tablets. What do we do for breakfast now? :roll:

zhaith

I normally have something with egg, ie egg and a couple of rashers of bacon, scrambled egg or omelette of some variet basically as it very quick and I have to be out the house weekdays by 7am. I have discovered I can eat a slice of burgen soya and linseed bread without spiking, I'm trying to eat around 50-80 Carbs a day ATM although this kfc in my hands is blown that out the water now for today oh joy to work late and eat cr*p :(

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.

hi
i have tried weetabix and the same happend to me .The thing being not many people realise the milk contains (cose) < sorry eyesight is dodgy at the mo my levels arent good . :D

Lauraann

Dislikes
chavs !!

zhaith said:
I normally have something with egg, ie egg and a couple of rashers of bacon, scrambled egg or omelette of some variet basically as it very quick and I have to be out the house weekdays by 7am. I have discovered I can eat a slice of burgen soya and linseed bread without spiking, I'm trying to eat around 50-80 Carbs a day ATM although this kfc in my hands is blown that out the water now for today oh joy to work late and eat cr*p :(

kfc tut tut, but seriously we all need a treat now and then surely :D

jaykay

If you have a look around the forum, there were a couple of threads a few months ago with breakfast ideas. One of the best bits of advice I got was to stop thinking, breakfast, lunch and dinner and start thinking 3 meals-it stops you getting hung up on 'breakfast foods'. I tend to have yoghurt, granola and fruit most mornings and eggs for weekend treats.

• Winner

Cowboyjim

Hope it was not your DN who told you it is OK to eat porridge....

Breakfasts are a pain but important.

Toast? Nah. Cornflakes? Nah.... Frosties? YMBJ!

Banana? OMG nooooooooo!

Muesli...? Depends... read the label and be shocked then make your own...

Eggy weggy? OK, now we are cooking..... if we have the time...

Mushroom omlette perhaps? But every day? Boring!

Maybe some kind soul could lost a typical week and how it affects them so we can weed out some timewasting and dead ends...?

Basically, I wonder how many people have the time to have a proper brekkie... being DM just makes it worse.

I sometimes have half a wholegrain bread sarnie with plenty of cheese, meat n salad... eggs, fruit... make some fruit n yog the night before to save time...

Other problems...

Grapefruit? Not if you are on statins.
Bacon? Careful of that cholesterol and blood pressure...

Infamous quote from a DM mate: "I have sometimes felt so fed up the only thing I wanted to eat was my gun! Only joking... I do not own a gun... yet!"
8)

Cowboyjim

Just thought of something else...

Quantities are important too... the less in the lower the BG... usually.
How much did you eat?

What was in the porridge?
It can be a triple whammy - the carbs in the oatmeal, lactose in the milk and any sugar/honey/syrup etc to taste...
Experimentation might help.

Could be 'fun' finding out what works for you with your meter. 8)

Cowboyjim

Greek youghurt and blue/rasp/black/strawberries might suit you better.

Reactions: KeredG

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have a small portion of porridge, I have about 20g, add flaxseed and make with water instead of milk. When made stir in some nuts. That's how I eat it and it doesn't spike me quite as high as just neat porridge.
It's all trial and error.
HTH
Angie

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL

Ummmmmm got to watch the egg intake too, egg yolk = high in cholesterol *sigh* more to scratch off the list of foods meant to be ok to eat.... Got that news from the dietitian...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Eiche said:
Ummmmmm got to watch the egg intake too, egg yolk = high in cholesterol *sigh* more to scratch off the list of foods meant to be ok to eat.... Got that news from the dietitian...

Eggs are fine to eat unless you have a certain medical condition and your gp has advised you not to eat them, take a read of the following government advice:

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/health ... ndpulsesq/

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Most of your cholesterol is made by your liver. That's how statins work - they interfere with cholesterol production in the liver. Only a relatively small percentage comes direct from food intake - and don't ask me for figures/references just now, though I can probably find them in a day or so if anyone wants to know. Phoenix will probably know? :D

I've had two eggs for breakfast almost every day for the last 6 months, as a variety of omelettes. I can also cope with a very small portion of Lizi's Granola. I haven't tried Burgen bread, but I find I can also manage just one slice of a multi-grain loaf from the supermarket beginning with T :wink: , made into a sandwich with cheese and/or ham and some salad.

One thing that is amazingly nice for breakfast is cold chicken salad - and that can easily be prepped overnight and left, covered, in the fridge. Just add mayo!

I've even been known to eat cold pork with cold ratatouille. No accounting for taste :shock:

Re the eggs and cholesterol - I'm due for my next range of blood tests next week. If my cholesterol levels have shot up, I'll cover myself with sackcloth and ashes and repent my evil ways - or maybe not :wink:

Viv :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

viviennem said:
Only a relatively small percentage comes direct from food intake - and don't ask me for figures/references just now, though I can probably find them in a day or so if anyone wants to know. Phoenix will probably know?

I believe the figure to be 20%.

Nigel

Lauraann

Dislikes
chavs !!

Cowboyjim said:
Hope it was not your DN who told you it is OK to eat porridge....

Breakfasts are a pain but important.

Toast? Nah. Cornflakes? Nah.... Frosties? YMBJ!

Banana? OMG nooooooooo!

Muesli...? Depends... read the label and be shocked then make your own...

Eggy weggy? OK, now we are cooking..... if we have the time...

Mushroom omlette perhaps? But every day? Boring!

Maybe some kind soul could lost a typical week and how it affects them so we can weed out some timewasting and dead ends...?

Basically, I wonder how many people have the time to have a proper brekkie... being DM just makes it worse.

I sometimes have half a wholegrain bread sarnie with plenty of cheese, meat n salad... eggs, fruit... make some fruit n yog the night before to save time...

Other problems...

Grapefruit? Not if you are on statins.
Bacon? Careful of that cholesterol and blood pressure...

Infamous quote from a DM mate: "I have sometimes felt so fed up the only thing I wanted to eat was my gun! Only joking... I do not own a gun... yet!"
8)

yes I was advised to do this by my detician, it was plain scots oats with skim milk and nothing else, feel so peed off might just start eating coco pops !!!!!!