Omg

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
Well, so here's my story; booked a ticket to the US after a break up, leaving my flat and leaving my job. Then got diagnosed with diabetes. The doctors and nurses were amazing but didn't know what type I had, got me ready to get to the US, took some more blood tests to see if it was type 1 or 2, I was feeling very positive as I needed an excuse to change my lifestyle...I came back to Ireland to see my parents and jet off to travel through America tomorrow TOMORROW.
I miss a phone call, and on my voicemail is a message from the diabetic clinic (at 5pm today) I have type 1 and have to start insulin, please see a doctor immediately. So I rush down to the doctors and get the last appointment, thank goodness. Oh gosh he says, we look at each other, well I can't send you off to America like this...
Can't quite believe it, I mean hey ho, better to deal with it here than there, but no family history of it, I don't know anyone with it...feeling weird. Just thought I would put it out there, as a start.
Love and wonderings
Finnula
X

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club @FinnulaC sorry it came at such at bad time for you, see if your travel insurance will cover the holiday cancellation. Depending on how long a trip it is it might not need to be a cancellation, just a delay. Keep in close touch with your DSN as you get used to the insulin dosages you need.

Get hold of a copy of the book think like a pancreas, it's a good guide on what you need to know to manage type 1.

Reactions: azure and FinnulaC

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
Thank you so much! Will look for it now. Seeing the diabetic nurse in Ireland tomorrow, as I don't have a job or anything so can take my time with it here and recuperate at my parents.
Xx

Reactions: fudge993

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, so here's my story; booked a ticket to the US after a break up, leaving my flat and leaving my job. Then got diagnosed with diabetes. The doctors and nurses were amazing but didn't know what type I had, got me ready to get to the US, took some more blood tests to see if it was type 1 or 2, I was feeling very positive as I needed an excuse to change my lifestyle...I came back to Ireland to see my parents and jet off to travel through America tomorrow TOMORROW.
I miss a phone call, and on my voicemail is a message from the diabetic clinic (at 5pm today) I have type 1 and have to start insulin, please see a doctor immediately. So I rush down to the doctors and get the last appointment, thank goodness. Oh gosh he says, we look at each other, well I can't send you off to America like this...
Can't quite believe it, I mean hey ho, better to deal with it here than there, but no family history of it, I don't know anyone with it...feeling weird. Just thought I would put it out there, as a start.
Love and wonderings
Finnula
X
I understand as I'm type 2 and my sister is type 1 and as a type 1 she leads a normal active life and has been a great source of information for me. Proper diet, leave the rubbish food alone it becomes second nature to make good food choices but it starts by reading labels after labels on food packs. Get on and enjoy life. PS My Parents don't have diabetes but we kids do

Reactions: FinnulaC

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @FinnulaC :)

You might want to,change your info so that you're clearly showing as a Type 1 :)

I second the recommendation of Think Like A Pancreas - it's a great book.

I don't think there's any good time to get Type 1, but yours came at a rubbishy time. i suppose at least it was spotted before you went.

Don't panic. It might all seem overwhelming now, but I promise things will get easier :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Plenty time for US. Most important now is to get sorted..

I used to jaunt off to Canada constantly in my younger days.. you will doit too.

My 1st trip was 4 weeks after diagnosis (30+ years ago), no internet, no books, just very strict and good info (at the time)... from a Consultant.

when you are settled after hols etc you need to get registered at a hospital with a diabetes consultant. Ideally this would be now as they are good and experienced with starting T1's etc on insulin.
However, if its not possible now, dont worry. Just long term wise they can offer a wider choice of help....

You'll be fine. Honest... glad you registered here. Thats your first positive with T1!!!

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
Welcome @FinnulaC :)

You might want to,change your info so that you're clearly showing as a Type 1 :)

I second the recommendation of Think Like A Pancreas - it's a great book.

I don't think there's any good time to get Type 1, but yours came at a rubbishy time. i suppose at least it was spotted before you went.

Don't panic. It might all seem overwhelming now, but I promise things will get easier :)

Thank you so much...in have updated info.!
Feeling the
Will get that book!

Reactions: azure

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
Plenty time for US. Most important now is to get sorted..

I used to jaunt off to Canada constantly in my younger days.. you will doit too.

My 1st trip was 4 weeks after diagnosis (30+ years ago), no internet, no books, just very strict and good info (at the time)... from a Consultant.

when you are settled after hols etc you need to get registered at a hospital with a diabetes consultant. Ideally this would be now as they are good and experienced with starting T1's etc on insulin.
However, if its not possible now, dont worry. Just long term wise they can offer a wider choice of help....

You'll be fine. Honest... glad you registered here. Thats your first positive with T1!!!

Thank you SO much, really good to hear...I have a diabetic team in London, so will work with them when I'm back in September, and here in Ireland I luckily have a doctor also, so he set me up to see the nurse tomorrow.
It's all a bit daunting atm, but feeling positive and looking forward to understanding this...X

Reactions: donnellysdogs

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
I understand as I'm type 2 and my sister is type 1 and as a type 1 she leads a normal active life and has been a great source of information for me. Proper diet, leave the rubbish food alone it becomes second nature to make good food choices but it starts by reading labels after labels on food packs. Get on and enjoy life. PS My Parents don't have diabetes but we kids do

Thank you...good to know...glad I fond this community