Omnipod or Metronic Minimed 640g

joanne75

Hi

I had my DSN appointment today and I can thankfully get a pump will be a bit of a waiting list but I have a choice of the two above, please can someone give me some pro's and con's of either pump. I really like the idea of the Omnipod wireless and I currently have one on at the moment just to see how if feels. I do a lot of swimming so this seemed like a sensible choice, if any one has any views please share, thank you

Reactions: himtoo and glavesr

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used an omnipod and a 640.

I would prefer the omnipod because it's a patch pump and tubeless and more convenient/comfortable to wear. You don't have to take it off to swim/shower and you don't have to be able to get at it to bolus.

Omnipod has automated cannula insertion and set seems like much less of a faff - I seem to end up with endless bits of set change detritus when changing 640.

The 640 does have smaller insulin increments than omnipod. 0.025 v 0.050. You can bolus without having to access the pump on the 640 using the link, but you can't access the bolus calculator that way. 640 does have the smart guard technology of semi closed loop pumping - if you have the Medtronic cgm in and it predicts a low it will suspend insulin delivery to prevent hypos.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm a Omnipod Pump user and have been for just over 2 years now (the member @himtoo also uses the Omnipod), to date I really can't fault it and would recommend the pump to anyone who was interested in it.

Reactions: himtoo

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I had my DSN appointment today and I can thankfully get a pump will be a bit of a waiting list but I have a choice of the two above, please can someone give me some pro's and con's of either pump. I really like the idea of the Omnipod wireless and I currently have one on at the moment just to see how if feels. I do a lot of swimming so this seemed like a sensible choice, if any one has any views please share, thank you

omipod

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
O thanks, DSN told me to take it off for showering. Although to be fair I'm not entirely sure where I could hang it in the shower! :)

Lol. Yes. That would be tricky. It was one of the selling points for me. Alongside the Smartguard, I could swim with it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @joanne75
I have only used the omnipod -- and I do love it

I would try the omnipod first and if you don't get on with it - ask to change to the 640G