OmniPod startup - high BG

cumbria-pumper

A question for OmniPodders out there: have you ever had a new pod that seems to take a while to start operating?

I put on a new pod yesterday evening and then overnight my BG steadily rose until at 4am I bolused a correction with another one at 7am. Now it's operating fine. I did not eat carbs.

I was careful to remove air bubbles (although it's hard to guarantee no air at all). Wondering if the pump priming wasn't good enough or if the site was somehow insulin resistant but only for the first few hours (which sounds extremely unlikely!)

Anyone had similar experience?

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! Sorry to hear about your bad experience using the Omnipod.

I've been an Omnipodder for over four years now. Sometimes the pods, due to them being small little things and closed off, are difficult to spot faults with.

Sometimes when putting a pod on, it doesn't always inject the cannula properly. Not to worry you though as like with yours, it can right itself as you move about and things to ensure the cannula is in your skin properly at the correct angle. Sometimes skin can get inside the cannula too without the PDM and pod picking up on a occlusion. It only takes a few skin cells to get stuck and the infusion to be less effective.

I must stress that this happens with an extremely small minority of pods. More often than not I've had it where, for some reason, the pods have started to leak despite the cannula still being properly in my skin!

I hope this is useful to you. I've loved life using the Omnipod. So much more freedom than injections or a wired pump.

Any more problems I'm happy to talk to you, either on this thread or private message :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been using omnipod for just over 2 years and the description you gave has described exactly what has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

my BG's are normally between 4.8 - 6.5 when I change a pod and I have experienced a slight rise over the first 3-4 hours even with no eating ( to between 8.0-9.6 ) , but it settles down within 5-6 hours

however on a couple of pod changes my bloods started rising relatively quickly and within 3 or 4 hours were touching between 14 - 18 , despite corrections-- on these occasions I just changed the pod and was soon back to mid single figures ( 5.0 - 7.0 )

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
perfect timing on this thread. I'm a pump user in Cambridgeshire at the mo, on the Roche Insight. I may be moving to the Kendal/KS area sometime soon. Do you know if that pump is supported?

Thanks
Dave

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, just called someone in the trust there, sounds like it's fairly straightforward. At least that's one thing off my mind.

Reactions: himtoo