On medication for 7 years - now 'normal'?

Tobymence

Hi,
I have been on medication for the past 7 years as my GP in the UK said I was 'borderline' and could become diabetic.
I have been taking Glucophage 500mg Prolonged Release Tablets - Metformin Hydrochloride. They are slow release tablets that I take before I go to bed.
I moved to Spain earlier this year and my medication just ran out so I went to a Spanish doctor to get some more. I have just had the results of my blood test. The doctor here says that I am 'normal' and do not require medication.

I am now really confused - is it possible that I am 'cured'? Or have I taken tablets all these years for no reason? I wondered if anyone here has ever heard of anything similar...

Thank you,

Toby

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ask for your actual HbA1c results
Yes it is possible sometimes to put diabetes type 2 into remission, especially if caught early.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Toby,

There are many cases of type 2 diabetics who become and remain unmedicated. Invariably it seems that this is achieved by restricting the amount of carbohydrates in the diet.
So it's not that they have been 'cured', it's more a case of the removal of the principal cause of abnormal blood sugars.
Has your diet changed much since you moved to Spain (lucky beggar!)?

All the best,

fergus