Only for LCHF?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all .I don't wish to be rude or upset anyone but is this forum only for those following a Low Carb High Fat diet ? I just wondered if others doing diets such as The Mediterranean Diet also used these forums ? Having read this link from the Diet Doctor site I was quite impressed to see that that diet showed good Glycemic control for those with Diabetes ? http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

I have had good results with Low Carb but the weight isn't moving anymore since adding fat so I was looking at alternatives :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you click on Forums you will see that there's different sections that members can post in, some do LCHF on the forum and others choose other options in managing their diabetes.

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, as @noblehead said, there are many different approaches , but the low carb way works for many :)

I'm glad it's helped you, presumably with glycemic control ? If your weight is sticking though, perhaps you could try low carb and moderate fat instead ? We are all different, and experience weight loss on differing amounts of fat . Low fat is not really the answer alongside low carb as many low fat products are quite high in carbs ( added sugar :rolleyes: )

As always, it's what works for each of us individually that matters :)

Signy

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Susie. When you cut carbs, you end up with a calorie deficit. If this is replaced with fat and protein, within your calorie limit, you should lose weight. You don't have to go mad with fats on LCHF.

I can only talk about what works for me.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have a wander around the forums but it seemed very heavily weighted to the low carb high fat lifestyle .That's why i asked @noblehead :)
I'm think I'm going to have to make my own eating plan up as I'm just not doing the butter and cream anymore but I will check the carbs in those things @Heathenlass and count them in :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have a wander around the forums but it seemed very heavily weighted to the low carb high fat lifestyle .That's why i asked @noblehead :)
I'm think I'm going to have to make my own eating plan up as I'm just not doing the butter and cream anymore but I will check the carbs in those things @Heathenlass and count them in :)

That's sensible :) All Hail the inventor of the Low Carb Mediterranean Diet - I present ....@Susiespearish! :D

I love your avatar, BTW !

Signy

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't.
LCHF didn't work for me.
Low GI, and portion control, as per my previous posts, is my diet of choice.
I have good results, good BS, good HbA1c, coming off the meds, and it fits into my lifestyle.
But i also exercise heavily, so that's part of my success.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Susie. As you say the best thing is to develop your own plan that suits you and your body. I use low carb but woldnt say my diet is particularly high fat. I do eat cheese and enjoy olives but dont use cream at all. I do find though that using myfitnesspal helps me to monitor food and sometimes helps me make te best choices.:)

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Susiespearish I don't want to make an issue but your link, the result came to the LC winning weight loss and lipids over the other two

The mean weight loss was 2.9 kg for the low-fat group, 4.4 kg for the Mediterranean-diet group, and 4.7 kg for the low-carbohydrate group

Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets may be effective alternatives to low-fat diets. The more favorable effects on lipids (with the low-carbohydrate diet) and on glycemic control (with the Mediterranean diet) suggest that personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions.

edit, there is a typo, the LC also out performed on glycemic
Among the participants with diabetes, the proportion of glycated hemoglobin at 24 months decreased by 0.4±1.3% in the low-fat group, 0.5±1.1% in the Mediterranean-diet group, and 0.9±0.8% in the low-carbohydrate group. The changes were significant (P<0.05) only in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.45 for the comparison among groups).

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Certainly low carb is popular among the members, I think to some extent we all eat below the RDA of carbs so in effect do low-carb, whether that's eating 30, 50, 100, 150 or 200g of carbs a day, but I do think your doing the best thing by finding your own way at low-carbing as we all have different tastes.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes thats how I read it too as per Jacks post

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I made up my own.
Paleo
Gluten free
Low GI
Low GL
LC
Atkins
Low calorie

Whatever was there, I made a short-list of all the common points, and with the help of my NHS dietician, and a BS meter, turned it around.
The only thing I watch now is the amount of calories, and my meter.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Susie. When you cut carbs, you end up with a calorie deficit. If this is replaced with fat and protein, within your calorie limit, you should lose weight. You don't have to go mad with fats on LCHF.

I can only talk about what works for me.

I shall do that Avocado but i don't want to become Ketogenic .

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diet is Mediterranean (ish) but I'm not T2.
You might like to read the 4 year follow up to the study you were quoting in your first post.
The Med diet did best for weight loss over 6 years (though none of the results were outstanding ) The graphs show comparisons for the other factors though they didn't report on glucose measures.which were better with the Med diet in the first 2 years.
What is often not mentioned about that particular study is that the low carb group was advised to ; choose vegetarian sources of fat and protein and to avoid trans fat.' so it wasn't a meat heavy diet.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1204792

You wouldn't though be the first to adopt a low carb Med diet.
Here is a blog written by a US doctor who advocates this type of diet.http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/low-carb-mediterranean-diet/

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@douglas99 Well it seems to have worked out well for you !! Thats an impressive loss :) That's what I'm trying to do ...balance the obvious loss of starchy foods but without using high fat alternatives .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Susiespearish I don't want to make an issue but your link, the result came to the LC winning weight loss and lipids over the other two

The mean weight loss was 2.9 kg for the low-fat group, 4.4 kg for the Mediterranean-diet group, and 4.7 kg for the low-carbohydrate group

Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets may be effective alternatives to low-fat diets. The more favorable effects on lipids (with the low-carbohydrate diet) and on glycemic control (with the Mediterranean diet) suggest that personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions.

Couldn't agree more.
'personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions'
Look at studies, read the meta analysis, but remember you're a person, not a statistic.
Find what works for you.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@douglas99 Well it seems to have worked out well for you !! Thats an impressive loss :) That's what I'm trying to do ...balance the obvious loss of starchy foods but without using high fat alternatives .

Everything to me is a balance. Or a juggling act.
But I wouldn't say the year was the easiest, but it also gave me the control I needed, so I wouldn't change if I was given another chance.
I've come out better, but I ate to my meter at all times, just a lot less than I used to.
It's also a diet for life, so it's not going back on, because I'm just not eating as much as I used to.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes interesting reading @phoenix .I was suprised to see though that the Med diet came out on top for weight loss 6 years on

(Quote)
During this follow-up period, participants had regained 2.7 kg of weight lost in the low-fat group, 1.4 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 4.1 kg in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.004 for all comparisons).

For the entire 6-year period, the total weight loss was 0.6 kg in the low-fat group, 3.1 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 1.7 kg in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.01 for all comparisons) Not very much weight loss with any of them as you stated .

I do accept though this was a very small study and as you said ,heavily weighted against meat .

I'm liking the sound of a low carb version of the med .The last thing I need or want is another fad diet but with all the information I've been reading I think a lifestyle change that can last is the way forward for me.:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
we know what works for you, 3 types of oral medication and a modified diet

True
But if we are p***ing up the wall, I'm on 1/3 the metformin you are, I'm on a half dose of sitagliptin, to be reduced to 0 shortly, and a half dose of Atoravastatin, and my HbA1c is better then yours.
I'm happy where I am.

edit - a modified diet, on this website, it's being used as an insult?????:confused:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That makes interesting reading @phoenix .I was suprised to see though that the Med diet came out on top for weight loss 6 years on

(Quote)
During this follow-up period, participants had regained 2.7 kg of weight lost in the low-fat group, 1.4 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 4.1 kg in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.004 for all comparisons).

For the entire 6-year period, the total weight loss was 0.6 kg in the low-fat group, 3.1 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 1.7 kg in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.01 for all comparisons)

I do accept though this was a very small study and as you said ,heavily weighted against meat .

I'm liking the sound of a low carb version of the med .The last thing I need or want is another fad diet but with all the information I've been reading I think a lifestyle change that can last is the way forward for me.:)

If you stick to that, it's a good diet, and it'll improve your life enormously.