Type 2 Operation Coming Up - What to Ask at Pre-Op?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you really want to freak them out take in some bags of pork scratchings all call them your "health food"..
That’s another good one! I love pork scratchings!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What to ask at pre-op?

OK, so there may be a standard order set for patients with T2DM. Ask about this at your pre-op appointment. If they do use a standard order set, ask what orders they include.

Blood Glucose testing: For example, there may be a standard requirement for blood glucose (BG) testing (such as fasting and every 4 hours), along with standard treatment orders for BG's above and below certain pre-determined parameters. So you may receive insulin if your BG goes above a certain level, and likewise, you may be given a snack (some crackers) if it goes below a certain level.

Diet: Also be sure to ask about the diet order. Do they order a 'consistent carbohydrate' diet for patients with T2DM? If so, it will in all likelihood contain way more carbs than you are used to eating. Ask for the number of carbohydrates per meal (and don't be surprised if it is along the lines of 60gm/65gm/60gm for the 3 main meals of the day:banghead:).

In general, standard hospital T2DM order sets do not take the needs of those of us who follow a sensible LCHF approach to managing our illness into account. Definitely bring your low carb stash along with you, and eat what you know you can eat from your tray!

Also, have the fridge stocked with food you can eat for when you get home as you may be off your feet for a while! Good luck with everything!:)
Thank you yes I’ll ask what are the standard things they’ll do.
As far as food at home is concerned, I’m cooking double quantities each time I cook currently and freezing individual portions of low carb stuff, so my adult kids who will be home from Uni can cook for themselves and then just zap my ‘ready meals’ in the microwave for me!

Last edited:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of good advice above. A bit early since it's not until next month, but best wishes with it all. Since you will be less mobile for a while we will probably get more of your delightful company on this forum, both when you are in hospital and for a while afterwards!:)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also I guess with your last HbA1c of 36 you are technically not diabetic any more...or would certainly not be diagnosed as such...just a thought..
I was told I needed the op about a week after my type 2 diagnosis and was worried about healing if my blood sugars were still ‘diabetic’, so I am relieved somewhat that I’ve managed to get control :happy:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of good advice above. A bit early since it's not until next month, but best wishes with it all. Since you will be less mobile for a while we will probably get more of your delightful company on this forum, both when you are in hospital and for a while afterwards!:)
Thank you for your good wishes and indeed I’ll be feet up on the sofa for two weeks with my iPad in hand!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes Lidl rolls! Just remove the filling from NHS sarnies and put it in a Lidl roll, brilliant idea!
Congratulations on your amazing A1c journey! For results like that, I'd be happy to put up with a few rather inadequate low carb picnics in hospital.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Olives in brime in a jar.
Nugs
Tinned Fish you can eat cold
Tinned cooked meat and veg, and eat cold if needed.
Tinned soap (some are low carb) can be have cold if needed
Prepacked salad
Cheese will keep a few days out of a fridge.
Coolbag with food frozen in it will keep for at least 1 day, before it gets above fridge temp.
Small butter packs you can use on one go to put in coffee and UHT cream.

Most wards have a microwave for the nurces to heat their food up in.

Two eggs, maybe some cheese, and a bit of milk in a mug, then microwave for 2 minutes gives a reasonble result.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nugs
Prepacked salad
Coolbag with food frozen in it will keep for at least 1 day, before it gets above fridge temp.

Two eggs, maybe some cheese, and a bit of milk in a mug, then microwave for 2 minutes gives a reasonble result.
Oh tinned stuff, what a fab idea! I’ll pass on the olives though, can’t stand them! :hungover:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nugs
Prepacked salad

Ringi, have you found a stockist for UHT cream? It seems to be generally unobtainable except on the internet.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect catering shops will sell you a box of 500 UHT creams, as B&Bs use it. Otherwise find a 'cafe' that use it, and take a few more then you need.

Also just thought of pickle gherkin and cabbage both that I often have for lunch with some strong blue cheese. (The blue cheese is even nicer if it has been out of a fridge for a few days....)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect catering shops will sell you a box of 500 UHT creams, as B&Bs use it. Otherwise find a 'cafe' that use it, and take a few more then you need.

Also just thought of pickle gherkin and cabbage both that I often have for lunch with some strong blue cheese. (The blue cheese is even nicer if it has been out of a fridge for a few days....)
I’ve found individual pots of UHT single cream on Amazon :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect someone is buying a big box of them and making a VERY nice markup on them.....

(Shame they are more like single cream then double cream.)

leahkian

Hi when i was type 1 i did not like the hospital food and the nurses said they could give me a voucher for the canteen which was a god send. The hospitals try to get children ops done first and then diabetics with type 1 first. When i had my transplant there was a fridge that only the people on the ward could use as long as you put your name on it and you could use the kitchen as you wished as long as you left it tidy. I have seen a lot of salad bars in the hospitals now which is a good thing and if you ask the staff they will go and get you what you want. I all ways take tuna, fruit, jelly and water when i go in now so i know i have some thing to eat if the menu is not to my taste. I remember it must have been 15 years ago my mam brought my sunday dinner in to the envy of my bed buddies but i don't think you are allowed to bring things like that in now. Hope everything goes well and try not to get to stressed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi when i was type 1 i did not like the hospital food and the nurses said they could give me a voucher for the canteen which was a god send. The hospitals try to get children ops done first and then diabetics with type 1 first. When i had my transplant there was a fridge that only the people on the ward could use as long as you put your name on it and you could use the kitchen as you wished as long as you left it tidy. I have seen a lot of salad bars in the hospitals now which is a good thing and if you ask the staff they will go and get you what you want. I all ways take tuna, fruit, jelly and water when i go in now so i know i have some thing to eat if the menu is not to my taste. I remember it must have been 15 years ago my mam brought my sunday dinner in to the envy of my bed buddies but i don't think you are allowed to bring things like that in now. Hope everything goes well and try not to get to stressed.
Tuna, berries and SF jellies! Good shout! :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Do cafés usually have UHT cream mini pots? I live a sheltered life. I'll have to do a recce in Starbucks.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More like cheap down market cafes you find on moterways etc. Starbucks will be fresh cream.
I can see that motorway cafés wouldn't notice my making off with handfuls of mini pots, but as I am car-less ...

Jo123

I was in hospital recently and found breakfast was fine normally eggs sometimes with bacon, lunchtime there was always the option of a salad again fine, dinner was OKish, normally I managed to get meat and green vegetables. There was a patients fridge from which nothing was taken. My husband brought in unsweetened soya milk, lots of nuts, and a salad with lots of avocado and olive oil in everyday, all fine my main problem was losing weight 2 kgs in 6 days which I don't need to lose. If you are nice to the staff they will give you suitable low carb foods if they have leftover!
Good luck!

Last edited: