Type 2 Operation Coming Up - What to Ask at Pre-Op?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in hospital recently and found breakfast was fine normally eggs sometimes with bacon, lunchtime there was always the option of a salad again fine, dinner was OKish, normally I managed to get may and green vegetables. There was a patients fridge from which nothing was taken. My husband brought in unsweetened soya milk, lots of nuts, and a salad with lots of avocado and olive oil in everyday, all fine my main problem was losing weight 2 kgs in 6 days which I don't need to lose. If you are nice to the staff they will give you suitable low carb foods they have leftover!
Good luck!
By contrast, last time I was in an NHS hospital the food was vile. Just before lunch-time I was told I could go home. The nurses arriving with the heated trolley smelling strongly of re-heated carbs + cheap fat were so kind, they encouraged me to stay for lunch before leaving. I hadn't the heart to tell them why that was out of the question.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The food was awful during my recent stays in hospital.:hungover: The breakfast list was just cereals, toast or porridge, but the nurse told me that if I wrote on the next days request that I'd like eggs I could get boiled or scrambled .. the scrambled were excellent!
I mostly just picked through the best that was on offer and filled up on nuts.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ringi, have you found a stockist for UHT cream? It seems to be generally unobtainable except on the internet.
Does cash and carry's not do it? In boxes of individual portions, caterers friendly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In my experience they do diabetics first, at theatre, so you can get discharged asap too. (Hopefully)
I'm never hungry after a minor op. Just want to be home and in bed.
Just follow when ill rules. Drink plenty of water and test.
Don't get court out, still take a hypo remedy. You never know.

Nuts for emergency hunger and home?

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your GP supportive of low carb diets - would he give you a letter for the hospital saying you have special (low carb) dietary needs.

My husband recently had an overnight stay at the Royal Berks in Reading after a day op had some unexpected complications. I asked him about the food having read some of the horror stories on the forum, and he said it was fine and he was given a reasonable menu choice, so reckoned someone could manage to eat low carb meals. :wideyed:

Best of luck anywyay!

Robbity

Reactions: Rachox

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox,
When I was in hospital the most irritating thing was the HCA wanting to test my blood glucose at silly times. There was no rhyme or reason to the timing, just someone somewhere had decreed that it should be tested 4 times a day at random times. What bothered me most was that she went from patient to patient with the meter and test strips, never washing hands or wiping the meter between patients. I refused to allow her and got my own testing kit brought in. Of course, labelled 'non-compliant' thereafter.

As for hospital food, it was carb heavy, but you already have been given some excellent suggestions as to alternatives. I found it useful for whoever was visiting to bring in individual meal size container of salad, meat, hard boiled egg, cheese or yogurt. Kept some small pots of nuts, and individually wrapped mini cheeses for if I felt hungry. I seldom did. Anaesthetic is a good appetite suppressant for me, as is having to eat in bed.
As you are going to, hopefully, be in just one night, possibly you will only need something light the evening of the surgery, (perhaps, depending on time of op you will be sleepy and not needing to eat until following day), then breakfast and lunch the day after.
Can a visitor bring those to you?

Do remember to drink plenty to keep hydrated post surgery, and don't worry if you need a day or two without your usual low carb management regime. You have done so well since diagnosis, a couple of days should not do any harm to that management.

Best of luck with it, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Rachox and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One day in-patient in my experience is.....
Report to ward 7-8am on morning of op. Pre-meds (maybe) and signature with stats taken. Asked to get In gown too and sometimes bed.
Taken in first or second for op then..... woken and brought back to ward.
Sleep, sleep sleep. Water, water water and maybe rough night sleep due to lights, noise and not your own bed. (blood pressure and temperature checked regularly and bgs)
Morning may eat breakfast if well. (Wont be discharged unless diabetic meds taken and an attempt at a breakfast eaten).
Consultant/surgeon or similiar discharged on morning round or over phone to head nurse if stats are good and no reliant drug needed thereafter/no findings in op need relying and no onward immediate care other than painkillers.
Home and rest.

This is how it will go for you too @Rachox !
With your excellent control lately I cannot see why not.

Stats and good diabetes control (remember they prefer a little higher than 5mmol/l to start op)
Never a problem for me as adrenaline is pumping as a bit scared of op. Which it absolutely normal. So I'm normally in 7s.
On insulin I get told not to take novarapid before op.
I always do as I'm told as if I ignore insulin instuctions I could die on table or very similiar. Notes saying no insulin active but if anyway ignores safety instructions then a fool.
You cannot take gambles with insulin and ops!

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just arrived at the hospital. The first thing I see at the entrance is a café called the Eatwell Restaurant! :nailbiting::joyful:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Keep us updated as your day progresses.
I couple of yrs ago since my last minor op.

Things may be even better now! ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just arrived at the hospital. The first thing I see at the entrance is a café called the Eatwell Restaurant! :nailbiting::joyful:
My bariatric eating education for pre-op is 'well living'. I needed a seperate dietician as well. Luckily got more advice. She uses carbs and cals book. :) :) :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I’ve seen the nurse. She asked if I was on any special diet, she didn’t bat an eyelid when I said low carb for my Diabetes. She just said scrambled egg for breakfast then!
Now waiting for consultant, blood test, OT and possible X-rays.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All done! Home in time for my low carb lunch, the ‘Eatwell Restaurant’ didn’t look promising for lunch! :banghead:
The nurse was funny, she measured my height and weight, looked at my details on the screen, double checked who I was, then said ok I don’t have to give you the BMI talk this time! :joyful:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Boom Boom!!
All cafes should be called carb overdose.
Most hospital cafes are full of pastries, cakes, crisps and sauce filled sandwiches.
Although Sunderland not as bad as Hastings one. Surprisingly.

Many moods ago Sunderland staff restaurant used to be sugar free dessert for diabetics. Semolina/rice pudding it was blur! All sugar free.

I'd love to see a low carb restaurant. Anywhere.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news. @Rachox .Early escape! Time off for good behaviour.

Now don't worry if blood glucose is a bit erratic for a few days. Though you could possibly find all is well, as you have had such good management for a while. Feet up and enjoy the recovery.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news. @Rachox .Early escape! Time off for good behaviour.

Now don't worry if blood glucose is a bit erratic for a few days. Though you could possibly find all is well, as you have had such good management for a while. Feet up and enjoy the recovery.
This was just the pre op assessment, the real thing is next month!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This was just the pre op assessment, the real thing is next month!
Oh flip! Sorry.
I thought you had been processed very quickly.

Note to self Pay Attention Pipp!
Hangs head in shame. Mitigating circumstance in pain after hospital treatment myself today. Going to log off before I make more mistakes.