overactive bladder

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
For a few years now i have suffered an overactive bladder at night, quite often going 5 times during the night, which is then causing me to feel tired due to lack of sleep. However now things have changed again and its affecting me during the day as well. I did read on a site that this can be can be caused by diabetes. But as i had the night time problem for quite a while b4 being dx T2. im not sure if its related. Im now going to the loo approx every 2 hours during the day aswell, and the amount coming out far exceeds the amount going in. I also have a terrible problem with a bloating belly as the day goes on. I have been keeping a check on the amount im drinking (which is not excessive ) and the amount im urinating so i can tell the GP the results if i need to go.

I just wondered if others suffered with this and if its something that needs to be looked into or if its just an unfortunate side effect that ill have to live with

Thanx Daffy

Grazer

Hi, this is a common side effect of high blood sugar, and is caused by the kidneys trying to flush ecess sugar away. You may well have experienced this before diagnosis, but you were probably diabetic quite a while before diagnosis like most of us. Do you still have fairly high BGs? If you get that down, the problem might go. If not, go back to the doctor in case it's something else.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daffy

I've spent all my life having a weak bladder, something I think I inherited from my mother.
Go somewhere new. First priority - establish whereabouts of nearest loo.
I've also known that getting up in the night to spend a penny (or two) is a classic sign of diabetes.
This NEVER showed till after I was diagnosed- last November. Now I have to be careful how much I drink of an evening to avoid at least one trip, if not two.
And I would guess that I go more often during the day, something that requires me to be more 'creative' if I'm out and about.
Stopping my coffee would help, but you wouldn't want to get in my way, trying to make me :evil:

Guess I don't know if controlling blood sugar helps in this regard. It sure would help :oops:

Geoff

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you are on a low GI diet, that may be something to do with the bloating. If I were you, I'd lower my carbs, whether they are low Gi or not. This should bring your BG down and help with the bloating.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
My Mum's doctor put her on a patch that calms her bladder down - maybe you could ask about that?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have irritable bladder syndrome so I know how annoying and uncomfortable this is.

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnoea? Nocturia (increased night time urination) is a classic symptom of both SA and Diabetes, which often coexist. If you have SA, then getting it under control is very important for managing diabetes and preventing stroke and heart disease. In some ways, SA is more dangerous than diabetes. However most doctors are more aware about diabetes.

I agree with the others, you should rule out diabetes-related causes first, as they are the most likely, but also rule out other conditions such as gynaecological - PCOs, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, hormone imbalance, bladder - irritable bladder syndrome, other functional or structural problems - gastro - IBS, constipation, coeliac disease, gluten sensitivity, the list goes on...

Apologies if you're not female - I couldn't tell from your post and signature but guessed that Daffy is a woman's name ;-) Men with nocturia are even more likely to have SA, because men tend to have fewer other bladder problems than women. If any men are reading this, another condition to look for is prostate problems.

Have you had blood tests in the last 6-12 months to screen for kidney, liver, thyroid, cardiovascular issues, and is your blood pressure ok?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daffy, you really need to see your gp about this problem, rather than keep a diary of your fluid intake you should keep a diary of the amount of urine you pass (and frequency) which would be more useful to your gp.

I had to undergo a few tests a few years back for a similar problem but mine was put down to a over-active bladder, I eliminated caffeine, fizzy drinks, acidic foods from my diet and found a remarkable improvement in my condition, you can buy decaff tea and coffee which tastes just as good as the caffeinated products.

Best to get a check-up but hope all is well!

DaveD

I was advised by my nutritionist to take Turmeric (spice) to help with inflammation in joints and muscles. I take 1tsp three times daily mixed in a little yogurt. One amazing side effect was that whereas I was accustomed to passing water 4-5 times a night I now sleep through without needing to urinate. I find there is a lot on the Net re turmeric and bladder/prostate. Well worth a try.
Dave

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DaveD said:
I was advised by my nutritionist to take Turmeric (spice) to help with inflammation in joints and muscles. I take 1tsp three times daily mixed in a little yogurt. One amazing side effect was that whereas I was accustomed to passing water 4-5 times a night I now sleep through without needing to urinate. I find there is a lot on the Net re turmeric and bladder/prostate. Well worth a try.
Dave

Wasn't Turmeric recently in the news for helping to lower bg levels?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Your GP should refer you to a Urologist as well as doing the standard bloods. The Urologist may do a Cystoscopy to look inside your bladder.

Many years ago i was peeing 4-5 times a night and eventually every half an hour during the day. I broke down in tears as it was my 3rd time back to my GP in 2 wks and Iinsisted it wasn't Cystitis. I was right. I had an ulcer in my bladder (they call it Hunners ulcer).

So I had treatment and fine for years then the peeing at night restarted. I cut back coffee etc but no improvement. Back to the Urologist and voila he tested my pee for glucose (standard test) and the rest is history. He did a Cystoscopy anyway because of my history and my ulcers gone! Oh and an ultrasound showed I had an Endometriosis cyst on my left ovary which was later removed.

So there you go. It may Diabetes or it may not be.