Ow! Ow! Little pr!(k, my b¥m!

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my first meter. The Tee2 as recommended on here. Took a while to set it up, work it all out, do a control test etc. Then deep breath and click!

YOW! I know I have a low pain threshold now, but this is ridiculous. OH nearly dropped his tea when I yelped! Meter needs a big warning label: Stabbing fingers hurts! A lot! How am I going to do this multiple times a day?

And then it said 10! (2 hours after dinner) Adding insult to injury. :/

Does it hurt less if I stab elsewhere?

Oh god, just shoot me now.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can change how deep the lancet goes by twisting the end of the stabber thngy where there are different depth numbers . Find the one that gets just enough blood so the process doesn't hurt too much

Reactions: EliseC65_

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my first meter. The Tee2 as recommended on here. Took a while to set it up, work it all out, do a control test etc. Then deep breath and click!

YOW! I know I have a low pain threshold now, but this is ridiculous. OH nearly dropped his tea when I yelped! Meter needs a big warning label: Stabbing fingers hurts! A lot! How am I going to do this multiple times a day?

Hi,

Where on your fingers are you pricking? What setting do you have the pricking device adjusted to?

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Set a low penetration setting if you can and make sure it's on the side of the fingertip, less nerves there apparently.

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Where on your fingers are you pricking? What setting do you have the pricking device adjusted to?
Middle of my middle finger tip set on 3. Just followed the instructions in the booklet.
Since having chemo a few years ago my pain threshold is so low, for some reason.

Just had a thought as well, as I’m not supposed to have blood taken from mastectomy arm, should I be pricking fingers on that side?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I dont use that meter but most lancet applicators have numbers for depth. I only use 1.5 on mine. 1 is lowest and 5 is maximum.
Like you say numerous uses can hurt.
Tip: use a fresh lancet everytime to save blunt lancet hurting you more!
I appreciate your self funding but maybe once used to pricking you could eke lances out more then.
Hope you have less painful testing next time.

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
side of finger tip is best. i also find that if i squeeze that finger a little while jabbing then can get away with lower setting. finger tip hurts me. also different fingers on different days. you can also get thinner lances

( i also have the tee2 + am still a beginner with this stuff )

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
I've got a tee2 as well, it gets easier with the finger pricking. Try siting the pricker at the side of your fingertip.
I was ever so scared about finger pricking, I am getting used to it.
Ask a health care professional about whether you can use your mastectomy side.
Take care

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may help @EliseC65_ - although not testing, I've donated blood for years and I used to find the side of fingertip prick beforehand worse than the donation, but now press a thumbnail into a fingertip, hard, and it really helps. Distraction pain? Apologies if this has entered 'grandmother sucking eggs' territory for those experienced members, or it's a useless suggestion for frequent testing, but it also works wonders for dental injections (I am a wuss....!).

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Never in the middle of the finger ... and alternate between all fingers

Reactions: Eternal summer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Middle of my middle finger tip set on 3. Just followed the instructions in the booklet.
Since having chemo a few years ago my pain threshold is so low, for some reason.

Just had a thought as well, as I’m not supposed to have blood taken from mastectomy arm, should I be pricking fingers on that side?

Hi again! 3 is a "middle of the road" setting on my device. (For some reason mine maxes on "5.5")
Try the sides of fingers? This may help?

With regards to taking blood from the mastectomy arm. I'm sorry, on that score I realy wouldn't know.. Were you given specific reasons?
Maybe worth getting some clarity from your HCPs regarding small puncture wounds & chemo..?

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't get any blood out of the sides of my fingers even on highest settings. The meter that I was given by dr had such a useless finger pricker that it just used to bounce all sting and no blood. The code free one is much better.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think you shouldn't have anything done on that arm not blood pressure fingerpricks or blood tests because all of them could potentially cause lymphoedema. It's a few years since I worked with breast cancer patients but it's been standard advice for many years. It sucks doesn't it. Take care.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Side of finger as skin is thinner. Heat hand under hot tap or in basin as this increases blood flow to cool the skin. Pressing the stabber hard against the skin tends to anesthetise the nerves before the prick.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Thailand I am told you can also take blood from the fleshy part of your palm just below the thumb,I would confirm this with your doctor or nurse. Nowadays the amount of blood needed is less than it used to be because of the sensitivity of the strips so the needle can be used on a lower setting. although they come as a set you can buy and use another type of finger pricker which may use finer needles and be less painful....It does get easier with time...good luck
PS I have not tried under the thumb pricking myself will have a go and see if results differ will post results

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have two meters. The lancet pen that comes with the Glucomen one is pants. Even on 5, I often can't draw enough blood and it takes a couple of attempts.
The one that comes with the SD Code free is much better, but I sometimes forget this and go too deep so that when I squeeze, a thin but substantial jet of blood will squirting out, covering either me, the furniture, the carpet or a colleague.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im sorry but your going to ge some ouchies no matter what you do. look on the bright side it means your nerves are ok. im getting some wonderful calluses developing on my main 2 fingers. there are some none invasive tech being developed but its very expensive at the moment.

Robkww

I always shut my eyes and clench my teeth in anticipation of what is to come and do a bit of a jig post insertion - works every time.