PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease)

StephenM

After managing to escape the side effects of diabetes for over 45 years I started getting cramps if I walked any distance or climbed a flight of stairs. Anyway after going around the houses for over a year I was referred to a vascular surgeon who diagnosed me with PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease). The ultrasound scan has shown problems in both legs and I am now booked for a CT scan before they decide on any treatment.. I have been advised not to take my insulin that morning and to take nothing by mouth as they inject a “contrast dye” which may cause nausea. Has anybody experience of this?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stephen

I recently had a CT scan of my aorta with contrast dye, but they didn't advise me not to eat or take my insulin. The only effect I got was a kind of hot flush for a few seconds but no nausea. Maybe it can affect people in different ways.

Hope it goes well for you :thumbup:

Robert

StephenM

robert72 said:
Hi Stephen

I recently had a CT scan of my aorta with contrast dye, but they didn't advise me not to eat or take my insulin. The only effect I got was a kind of hot flush for a few seconds but no nausea. Maybe it can affect people in different ways.

Hope it goes well for you :thumbup:

Robert

Thanks for the response Robert. I will cross my fingers that my experience is limited to a hot flush as well. Nausea/vomiting are always tricky with Type I but much easier since the advent og BG meters. The old urine tests were not that clever!

Regards,

Stephen

StephenM

Hi, I had the CT scan the other day. The only side effect I noticed was the very hot flush when they injected the contrast before the second scan. For a few seconds I wondered when I was going to stop getting hotter. Before I when in my BG was 7.3 and it had risen to 10.1 when I checked about 30 minutes later. I think the rise was more a result of delaying breakfast, and perhaps the hot flush creating an adrenalin rush, than anything in the contrast. When I went to the canteen/restaurant to get breakfast I noticed that most of the staff were tucking into a traditional breakfast so did the same I felt in need of a treat! :D Will update after I have seen the surgeon again!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stephen

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad for you.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.

StephenM

I have now seen the consultant to discuss the results. He has put me on the waiting list for a multiple angioplasty/stents to the right leg. I have to have a further scan on the left (where I have less symptoms) as the issues are more complex and could involve having a fairly complex bypass in the behind the knee area where the main artery splits into three. At least things are starting to happen. :)