Painful Injections

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been injecting Byetta for the last couple of days but everytime I inject it is really painful and not at all like when my DSN sat me down, talked me through it and did Dummy runs, those times it didn't hurt at all, in fact my finger pricker normally hurts more! But I can feel the needle going in my tummy, and because it hurts I tense up which probably makes it worse. It also hurts when I remove the needle as well. :cry:

Am I doing something wrong or will it just take time to find the right spots? Mum suggested putting an ice cube on the area I was going to use to numb it slightly or seeing if we could buy some sort of numbing cream at the chemist!

I can probably phone my DSN and ask if I am doing something wrong but thought I would ask you guys first. I just feel like such a baby and a failure because I can't seem to get it right, yet it seemed okay when I was with the DSN.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Fiona,
My son Andrew has had to move injection sites from tummy to legs, (on 3 a day) and was doing all in his tummy. Had to move to legs which he always finds painful. Today i bought a numbing cream from the chemist called Elma 5g cost £3. Its simular to the "magic" cream they use at the hospital give it a try it may work for you. Tonight Andrew injected his Lantus after using the cream but didn't find a big difference, but then Lantus is an insulin that unfortunately always stings, hopefully it will work with his morning insumane.
Give it a try and let me know how you get on
Suzi x

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah and Suzie

Thanks for the advice given! Really appreciated it.

I did pop to the Chemist to get some Elma cream and I have changed my sites to nearer the hip bone and I'm not sure if the cream worked or changing the site but this mornings jab and this evenings jab hasn't hurt at all which is brilliant as I was stressing myself out about it all day and then getting worked up before injecting cos I knew it was going to hurt!

I haven't attempted the thighs yet as there isn't much flab there and I think its really going to hurt there! Will be brave and try one day but just not yet! :)