Pancreatitis, then diabetes

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I'm 43 and live in London. I have been diabetic for about 3 months now. I was very ill with a severe case of acute pancreatitis last year, keeping me in hospital for nearly a month and off work for ages afterwards, followed by a couple of further milder episodes. Nobody knows what caused the pancreatitis - I've never been much of a drinker, and I didn't have gallstones, which are the usual suspects. Anyway, as a result, my pancreas is now only about half there, so I have diabetes and very poor enzyme production. I'm on 12 units of Levemir and about 17 of Novorapid a day, plus Creon tabs to help me digest fats. (If I don't take the Creon, you really don't want to be in the same room as me - terrible wind!)

My HbA1c is 7.4, which is too high, I know. My blood sugar readings during most of the day are fine, but then my blood sugar shoots up in the evening, even though I try to balance my insulin and carbs carefully.

My weight had been steady for about 6 months, but then about a week ago I had a bit of stomach pain and ever since I have been really hungry, stuffing my face and piling on the pounds. Maybe a trip to the Doc is in order as it seems a bit odd.

I am on a final written warning at work for "poor performance" and it looks as if I'm going to lose my job. My argument is that if you have been off sick for 5 months in a year it is a bit difficult to get everything done you were meant to do. Mind you, having been so ill, I now have a different outlook on life and I'd rather go home at 5.00pm and spend time with my wife and two young children than work late writing reports that will be forgotten in 3 months' time. I don't care about work quite as much as I used to, so maybe they have a point, but it is not a good time to be without a job.

What else? Oh, my wife had a mastectomy last September, my mother has dementia, and my father-in-law is in bed, slowly dying from Alzheimer's and I've lost loads of money on the stockmarket. But the odd thing is that I actually feel quite happy. Shouldn't I be depressed or something? Maybe I'm just weird? :wink:

Anyway, love to hear from people, especially anyone who has become diabetic through pancreatitis.

CalicoBec

Hi there :)

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are having a pretty bad time at the moment! I don't think it's weird that you feel quite happy, sometimes when life is bad you have to just take pleasure in the smaller things and not worry about the big stuff, and that in turn makes you feel happy...at least that is my theory lol

I think if your job did sack you then you'd win if u took them court, they can't sack you when you have been ill can they? I did get the sack for that once but as I found out, I was on my trial period and that means they can do what they like, but as far as I know if your not on a trial period then they can't sack you? Maybe talk to someone at the citizen's advice on that matey :)

sorry to hear about your troubles, but welcome to the forum and I hope you find some help here.

Becca

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Becca

Yes - things have been pretty bad recently, but life goes on. I'll see how things go on the job front, but will take some legal advice if all goes pear-shaped.

Katharine

What a lot of stress all at once. At least you didn't die of the pancreatitis.

I wonder if reducing the carb intake of your evening meal would help balance your blood sugars?

I am not familiar with the ins and outs of creon therapy. Can you digest protein okay? Do you have a problem with fats? (That is fats/not farts!)

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Still alive and kicking, thank goodness.

I'll try lower carbs and see what happens.

I must admit, I don't know a lot about the creon therapy either - except that it works. Cheese gives me big problems, but not sure whether it is the high protein or high fat that causes it.

Trinkwasser

When are you taking the Levemir? If in the morning it may be running out by evening, it is usually used as a split dose everywhere except in the UK. I'd discuss splitting the dose and probably adjusting the timing. It may be what's left of your pancreas is still producing some insulin but running out of steam later in the day.

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm taking the Levemir last thing at night, so I wouldn't be surprised if it runs out towards the end of the next day.