Pasta

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
This is like asking how long is a piece of string, but could I eat pasta after a 45 minute moderate intensity cardio session without my BG going mad?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Post a photo of the piece of string and one of us will measure it for you!
I don't think anyone can really answer this. The only way to tell is test-eat-test-and test again.
Exercise does help with sugar take up, but I don't think you can exactly trade various degrees of effort against particular foods.
Looking forward to hearing other comments.
Sally

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As Sally says above the only way to know for sure is try it.. Personally I would doubt you can although if the pasta is cooked then reheated it might be better.
My main question would be why though? The point of pasta is to get a nice sauce to your mouth on some tasteless floury stuff.. Cut out the pasta and just eat the sauce...

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't .... but we are all different. As said above, you will have to test.
If I eat anything with a few more carbs than is normal for me, I usually exercise after the meal.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat small amounts of reheated pasta with little affect on my BS.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This is like asking how long is a piece of string, but could I eat pasta after a 45 minute moderate intensity cardio session without my BG going mad?

Jeff, to be honest, I have never had a blood glucose party with pasta, but what did used to happen to me was the rise would be slow, but sustained. My next day fasting level would also be a little higher than my usual range.

As pasta was never a favourite, aside from the odd Mac 'n' Cheese, it was simple enough to forego. I've never gone back to it, and these days if MrB fancies said mac 'n' cheese, one half of the dish is pasta and the other cauli for me.

As others have suggested, if you fancy it, you have to try it, but and it is a bigger but, p[lease do keep testing until any rise you experience comes back to your starting point. That's more likely to be the full picture then.

Hotpepper20000

As Sally says above the only way to know for sure is try it.. Personally I would doubt you can although if the pasta is cooked then reheated it might be better.
My main question would be why though? The point of pasta is to get a nice sauce to your mouth on some tasteless floury stuff.. Cut out the pasta and just eat the sauce...
I agree. I was really missing pasta in the beginning and then realized it wasn't the pasta but all the yummy sauces.
So now I make the sauces and spirlize courgettes. Microwave it for 40 secounds and dump the sauce on and YUM!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I found I was always a lot less insulin resistant after exercise.
The only way is to try it.

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right, report back.
17.30 to 18.15 moderate cardio with sweat
18.45 BG 5.7 (no food after cardio)
19.30ish to 20.45ish supper (linguine al dente in a sublime calamari, cream and peri peri sauce washed down with 2-3 glasses of a delicious Syrah)
Glucophage pill
22.20ish BG 8.2

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The metformin won't have made a lot of difference.
And I'm afraid that's still a bit high after nearly three hours, especially with the alcohol in the mix, as that suppresses BG in it's own right.
Not awful, but high.
I would look at spiralized courgette personally.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like this question. :)

My goal from the beginning on the low carb diet has been eat a variety of foods with animal and plant based proteins and fats with lots of vegetables and the occasional treat. It's been a bit of a challenge because I don't take medication or inject insulin, but I've learned quite a few tricks along the way :)

At a recent gluten-free support meeting, the speaker was a gluten-free bakery owner who uses non-GMO, ancient grains and non-GMO healthy fats and oils. For our sampling pleasure, she brought pizza and cookies. Yikes. I hadn't had a slice of pizza for 2 years.

I had one slice and half a cookie.

At the end of the meeting I immediately checked my glucose level, and yes it was high, so I headed out to a local "big box" store that's open until 10 p.m. Walked around and around the store for 22 minutes thinking that would do the trick. (And likely drove security batty, which I find a bit amusing...)

Not so lucky. Glucose level had increased. Decided to monitor every 15 minutes. It gradually dropped.

After preparing for bed, I checked one more time. It had popped back up a bit again... Not good.

So I layered up and went for another 20 minute walk in the cold and rain. Checked glucose level again. It was now normal, thankfully. I could go to bed.

The problem with highly refined grains in breads and pastas, also potatoes, is they require a long walk to knock down and sometimes absorption of the "sugars" are sustained over a period of hours.

Would I do this again? Probably, but not for a long while. Was it worth it? Yes, but glad I only had one slice.

My only suggestion would to eat very low carb that day in preparation for the pasta, then plan a long walk afterward. :)

Last edited: