Patient Participation Group

Beebeelady

I am prediabetic, HBA1c 43 and BMI of 27. I have been invited to join a group, by my GP practice. I like the idea of the support but am dismayed that the approach is of the Healthy Plate type, i.e. Carbs are encouraged. Should I go and be a rebel, or should I not bother? I would appreciate opinions please. Has anyone else been in this position? Many thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on your personality.. if you are a naturally argumentative type ( most would say I am.. so not being nasty) then you may enjoy the cut and thrust and arguing your point but be prepared to be ignored. If you don't have that kind of personality then you may find it very disheartening to see what comes of trying to help. I have joined my local PPG but unfortunately couldn't attend the last meeting which would have been my first. I did however go to a local CCG meeting discussing Diabetes care in our area and was very disappointed in the level of understanding by not only the "civilians" who attended but also the Medics. They were not only quite ignorant of new scientific thought but also non receptive to any new ideas. So a disappointing experience overall although I haven't given up yet!.
If however you do go then I would suggest being very well prepared with some links to studies etc to give out otherwise you may be labelled as a "crank". Then again your practise may be open to new ideas - without going along I guess you'll never know.

Beebeelady

Depends on your personality.. if you are a naturally argumentative type ( most would say I am.. so not being nasty) then you may enjoy the cut and thrust and arguing your point but be prepared to be ignored. If you don't have that kind of personality then you may find it very disheartening to see what comes of trying to help. I have joined my local PPG but unfortunately couldn't attend the last meeting which would have been my first. I did however go to a local CCG meeting discussing Diabetes care in our area and was very disappointed in the level of understanding by not only the "civilians" who attended but also the Medics. They were not only quite ignorant of new scientific thought but also non receptive to any new ideas. So a disappointing experience overall although I haven't given up yet!.
If however you do go then I would suggest being very well prepared with some links to studies etc to give out otherwise you may be labelled as a "crank". Then again your practise may be open to new ideas - without going along I guess you'll never know.
Thank you for your reply. You make some very good points eg being prepared with links to support my views. The Eatwell plate is pretty much how I was eating for years only to develope some insulin resistance, so I do not want to go back to it. The last GP I saw was rude and dismissive, so I am reluctant to submit to similar treatment. I will give it all serious consideration, and your reply has helped, thank you very much.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was invited to join my GP's PPG a few years ago. I think the GPs were paid a bonus for setting them up. I found it was undemocratic, as the GP appointed a friend as chair, we were not given any indication of the remit, all members of group were selected by GP, so some members became rather full of their own importance. Some Wanted to sanction people for missed appointments by a 'three strikes and you are out' sort of approach. They were totally oblivious to the notion that there could be a valid reason (e.g mental health problems, dementia etc) for patients missing appointments, and did not want to consider that when I mentioned it. Another thing I mentioned was the PPG invited members were, apart from me, all male and beyond retirement age. Not a representative group at all. The reason given when I queried it was that 'people who are working during the day can't get here'. They were dumbfounded when I suggested evening and weekend meetings.

I believe more recently, where I live at least, the PPG s are feeding into the larger local Clinical Commissioning Group, which decides how NHS funding is spent. As funds have to be spread thinly, it can have a bias towards issues of those making the decisions.

All this leads me to conclude that being involved in a PPG, is important, but be prepared to be bogged down by people with an agenda of self importance, and be tough and resilient, and prepared to be shot down in flames if your ideas go against the majority.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am prediabetic, HBA1c 43 and BMI of 27. I have been invited to join a group, by my GP practice. I like the idea of the support but am dismayed that the approach is of the Healthy Plate type, i.e. Carbs are encouraged. Should I go and be a rebel, or should I not bother? I would appreciate opinions please. Has anyone else been in this position? Many thanks.

I am beginning to think people are talking at cross purposes here. The Patient Participation Group is one thing, but I wonder if @Beebeelady is referring to the fairly new pre-diabetic course, run to help pre-diabetics avoid full blown diabetes. Perhaps Beebee could explain what she means?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to a PPG once. Never again. A presenter came and told us all about the NHS reorganisation and it was unintelligible. Most of the members were ex NHS and nodded sagely but not one of them asked questions. A lady from down the village decided to leave early, stood up thanked the speaker and fell over the table, got up and left. I think she had remembered where she left the bottle.

I went there in the belief that the patients gave feedback and discussed their issues but it was an indoctrination session that no-one fully understood including the speaker. I never went to another one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I see. I read the title of the thread but the text body is talking about diet. I don't think we have a diabetes group or I would have been told.

It is a relatively new innovation that GP's can refer pre-diabetics to for advice on diet, weight loss, life style and what pre-diabetes means, intended to stop them progressing. It is a national thing, I believe recommended by NICE. Along the lines of the X-Pert and DESMOND courses for T2s.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am beginning to think people are talking at cross purposes here. The Patient Participation Group is one thing, but I wonder if @Beebeelady is referring to the fairly new pre-diabetic course, run to help pre-diabetics avoid full blown diabetes. Perhaps Beebee could explain what she means?
Thanks @bluetit, you could be right please can you clarify @Beebeelady

. I do remember one meeting, though, that discussed the escalating cost of diabetes to NHS, and HCPs from the surgery were making mutterings about people not following the diet advice. It was the same day that they had a MacMillan coffeee morning, with a variety of cakes on the table for patients and visitors to indulge. They didn't understand the irony, nor my offer of a donation not to eat any of the stuff.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Beebeelady

Thanks @bluetit, you could be right please can you clarify @Beebeelady

. I do remember one meeting, though, that discussed the escalating cost of diabetes to NHS, and HCPs from the surgery were making mutterings about people not following the diet advice. It was the same day that they had a MacMillan coffeee morning, with a variety of cakes on the table for patients and visitors to indulge. They didn't understand the irony, nor my offer of a donation not to eat any of the stuff.
There is confusion here. Bluetit is right, it is exactly as described, an education/support group for those with pre diabetes, to try to avert the onset of diabetes. My research shows that they advocate the eatwell plate style of eating. I try to avoid carbs, hence the problem. I am sorry that I did not explain myself better.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is confusion here. Bluetit is right, it is exactly as described, an education/support group for those with pre diabetes, to try to avert the onset of diabetes. My research shows that they advocate the eatwell plate style of eating. I try to avoid carbs, hence the problem. I am sorry that I did not explain myself better.
Thank you @Beebeelady.