PCOS

gem10

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm still baffling them, they cannot diagnose me yet as either 1 or 2 or diabetes at all !! Had more blood tests done today and wont find out for 6-8 weeks also possible scan on pancreas! All ketones now normal and blood sugars all roughly the same although after eating the same breakast 2 days in a row yet the 2nd day only 1 slice of brown bread my sugars where higher than the day before when I had 2 slices !! Im findng it all very bizarre, feel great in myself !

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Guys
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm still baffling them, they cannot diagnose me yet as either 1 or 2 or diabetes at all !! Had more blood tests done today and wont find out for 6-8 weeks also possible scan on pancreas! All ketones now normal and blood sugars all roughly the same although after eating the same breakast 2 days in a row yet the 2nd day only 1 slice of brown bread my sugars where higher than the day before when I had 2 slices !! Im findng it all very bizarre, feel great in myself !
You could be type 1 with insulin resistance. Some early diagnosed type 1s have a pancreas which misfires til the beta cells have been killed off, in full. Therefore your insulin is effective on carb counting but aggravating your pcos and insulin resistance. Weight loss is not normally associated with pcos.
Pcos can resolve itself with weight loss and metformin tablets. I wouldnt say causing weight loss thou.
Exercise and metformin resolved my infertility due to pcos. I was totally unaware of low carbing then. I just had smaller portions and more veg based.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guys

At least you're having more tests. It's possible they're doing a GAD test to look for antibodies (a sign of Type 1). Getting a definite answer would be helpful - and reassuring, I'd think.

If your pancreas isn't functioning properly, it can be quite erratic in its production of insulin, which might explain your test results after your breakfast.

Also, so many things can affect blood sugar, so I'm afraid it's never an exact science. Test often and concentrate on staying in range as much as you can.

I'm glad you're feeling well in yourself :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome @gem10 - that's a long wait to find out your test results. Did they do the GAD test and the c-peptide test? I've had both of those done 3 times since I was diagnosed back in 1998. I also have PCOS and I was diagnosed with both PCOS and type 2 diabetes on the same day... I was 25. I probably had been living with PCOS for many years though without knowing. I possibly had diabetes longer too as the only reason I went to the doc at the time was because I had a UTI.... other than that I didn't go to the docs much (definitely not as much as I do these days).

In regard to ketones I know when they found ketones in my urine at hospital they didn't like it, so I gather they don't like ketones in your urine if you're diabetic.

I wish you the best and I hope they find out sooner than later about what you have. :)

gem10

Ah thank you for your post, sorry I've not replied sooner! My bloods are being sent off to Oxford to be analysed (not sure why) . I personally think the ketones are because of my weight loss and I believe my weight loss is down to the tablets (vitamns Inositol and Choline) which I was taking for my PCOS. (they are meant to help people with PCOS loose the weight) I had blood tests done at the end of August and they were all fine its only since taking these tablets and by going for a routine bladder check that any of this has come about. i have felt totally fine in myself and still do !! personally think my body couldn't cope as I lost weight too quickly.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know that's a very long wait but it will be worth it if they can do plenty of tests and give you some more information.

Whatever the result, it sounds like you're having really thorough investigations :) I think they do MODY testing in Oxford so if they're looking for that too (a genetic form of diabetes) then that can only be a good thing.