Peeing all the time - any advice?

benunited

Sorry if this has been asked before...

I've been T1 for 12 years. I'm male and 35 years old.

I know if I eat something which will make my BS rocket then I'll need to pee.

For example, if I indulge (very occasionally!) and have a pasta meal at night then chances are my sugars will be in double digits overnight and I'll have to get up to go to the toilet.

Over the last few months I've probably been as well behaved in terms of my diet and exercise as I've ever been, cutting right back on foods I shouldn't eat, only drinking water (and lots of it) and doing lots of running and sports.

At the same time it seems I'm needing to pee far more frequently. I don't know if it's the extra water I'm drinking, probably not.

Sometimes I'll need to pee just 10 minutes after the last time and I think 'my BS must be high', so I test and they're maybe between 6 and 8, so not really high at all.

And it also feels like I'm never emptying my bladder properly whenever I pee.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm wondering if it's a T1 thing or something else.

Thanks for any advice, which is always much appreciated.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are other causes for frequent peeing than diabetes and some of them are related to other autoimmune conditions. Then there are a lot of hormones anyway, not related necessarily to autoimmunity.

What you could start with is to keep a diary for drink and pee volumes for a couple of days and look at the results. Pee more than 2 litres per 24 hours is slightly too much.

But first you may want to check you don't have UTI.

If it doesn't sort itself, bring your list of in´s and out´s to you GP and take some extra salt.

Reactions: 2 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it feels like you haven't emptied your bladder it could be a urine infection, I would drop a urine sample at your docs and get it tested, so you can rule that one out.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well be a kidney/bladder infection that is causing your problem and best to see your gp if it continues, however as you say you drink 'lots' of water it stands to reason that you'll need to wee more than usual.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I am a type 1 diabetic who has the same problem,I would say I am up for a pee 6 or more times a night,I have the same problem during the day,as soon as I drink coffee or tea before I have to pee,then go for another pee 10 minutes later

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a hell of a bump. Almost 3 years.

How are your levels? That sounds like hyperglycemia if you're peeing all the time. Do you feel anything else?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a type 1 diabetic who has the same problem,I would say I am up for a pee 6 or more times a night,I have the same problem during the day,as soon as I drink coffee or tea before I have to pee,then go for another pee 10 minutes later

How is your blood sugar?