Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The blood test results in 6 months time will be VERY intesting as they will show if you have defeated your Type2 in a way that allows you to live a normal life.

Yes I will need another in a few weeks as this one overlaps non diet / and post diet. I know I must have made inroads to a decent long range test but I suspect the way in which they get the result will mean I am somewhat higher than I will be after 3 months from the start of the diet.
My original test was scheduled for end of October/November but my DN brought it forward. I will ask that I am given another at the end of October.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I find remarkable is that your BG levels have stayed so low throughout - forgive me if you've mentioned this before but did you go for a low-carb option for your soups? Because if not then it's tremendous you've been able to keep sub 7 even while eating carbs.

Reactions: Peerless67

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This happens with most (maybe all) people who were writen up in "newcastle" research papers. It seems that while losing weight fast, our body can cope with more carbs. I don't like the high carbs but the research clearly show they are not an issuie on a newcastle type diat.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday marked 3 weeks of consecutive sub 7s days, I have been a little stressed the last few days as I have been dealing with problems here at home. Have also been a little anxious about the looming end of the eight weeks. Yesterday I had soup for both my lunch and evening meal and I was surprised to see my fasting BG this morning was lower than my last yesterday, and its my lowest fasting BG since September 9th.
It has not all been bad though, 27th is our wedding anniversary and my wife got her citizenship yesterday so a couple of things to celebrate in a few days. And of course I see my DN on the 27th too for my blood test results.

Week 8 Day 53:

Fasting BG 4.5

I know what you mean - I'm planning for after the end of ND already. I think I will carry on with low carbing and skipping breakfast on week days (I'm not missing it) then maybe slowly increase my calories by 100 cals a day for the first week, 200 cals a day for the second week, etc until I get to the point where I'm comfortably maintaining - and maybe incorporate the odd day or two of fasting until dinner. I will definitely need to keep an eye on calories otherwise I'll be back to where I started.

Reactions: Pipp and Peerless67

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This happens with most (maybe all) people who were writen up in "newcastle" research papers. It seems that while losing weight fast, our body can cope with more carbs. I don't like the high carbs but the research clearly show they are not an issuie on a newcastle type diat.

I disagree - I'm in my seventh week of ND and I can't definitely tolerate carbs. We are all different.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that the newcastle research only included people who have had Type2 for a limited number of years, hence the research results are unlikely to match everyone on this side. I would expect anyone with "true type2" who have had it for a shot time would remove the fat from their liver very quickly and hence cope with the carbs, as their insulin production will not have dropped that much below normal levels.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Remember that the newcastle research only included people who have had Type2 for a limited number of years, hence the research results are unlikely to match everyone on this side. I would expect anyone with "true type2" who have had it for a shot time would remove the fat from their liver very quickly and hence cope with the carbs, as their insulin production will not have dropped that much below normal levels.

But when I was diagnosed as T2 last year they said that they can't tell HOW long before diagnoses a person has been diabetic as by the time they come to get tests done they are feeling pretty ****** for a while (depending on how soon the person does go to the doctor with symptoms)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's the same with everyone in his study, I think he excluded anyone who had been diagnosed more than 8 years ago.

Reactions: thepolly

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What I find remarkable is that your BG levels have stayed so low throughout - forgive me if you've mentioned this before but did you go for a low-carb option for your soups? Because if not then it's tremendous you've been able to keep sub 7 even while eating carbs.

The soups are no "added" sugar and 25% less salt.

Carbs:
Chicken 19.6g per can
Tomato 20.2g per can
Vegetable 28.6g per can

I have only been using the Chicken soup since the end of week 1, I sometimes have it for lunch and evening meal as I did today so approx 40g carbs. The soups with the added sugar are quite a bit higher.
I have attempted to keep my carbs low, but mostly to stay in ketosis so as to achieve the rapid weight loss.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know what you mean - I'm planning for after the end of ND already. I think I will carry on with low carbing and skipping breakfast on week days (I'm not missing it) then maybe slowly increase my calories by 100 cals a day for the first week, 200 cals a day for the second week, etc until I get to the point where I'm comfortably maintaining - and maybe incorporate the odd day or two of fasting until dinner. I will definitely need to keep an eye on calories otherwise I'll be back to where I started.

Hi @Chook Breakfast I will never struggle with as I never eat it. I would like to have some milk or creamer with my coffee though. I shall watch the calories without being overly strict and will try carbs in moderation, if I start getting elevated BG readings then I will just have to reduce my carbs.
I am still thinking about do a keto diet plan for the next 4 weeks but with an increase in calories as I don't want to lose anymore weight but will be happy to burn a bit more fat.
Right now I have zero clothes that fit me. After the initial weight loss I went and got some trousers with a 34 inch waist I have moved my belt buckle in 3 notches and I think I am a comfortable 32 inches now.

No matter what I choose to do I shall keep this thread up to date over the course of the next 10 months or I shall start another.
I know you, Marathonmona and Muzzer are going to crack this too, you have all done awesome.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The soups are no "added" sugar and 25% less salt.

Carbs:
Chicken 19.6g per can
Tomato 20.2g per can
Vegetable 28.6g per can

I have only been using the Chicken soup since the end of week 1, I sometimes have it for lunch and evening meal as I did today so approx 40g carbs. The soups with the added sugar are quite a bit higher.
I have attempted to keep my carbs low, but mostly to stay in ketosis so as to achieve the rapid weight loss.
This looks as I thought, as although low calorie, it looks mid carb to me.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that by the time of diagnosis most people have lost around 50% of their beta cells? There's a rather steep jump in blood glucose levels right before you get to the 'irreversible' diagnosis, I think. Either way it seemed in the original study that Prof Taylor was quite surprised that normal function could be resumed - and it definitely makes sense that the more beta cell function you have left, the easier it is to kickstart normal insulin reactions again.

I wonder if that could be established with testing? If they tested for beta cell function as part of DIRECT at the start of the study the results might shed some light on that.

Reactions: Freema

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that by the time of diagnosis most people have lost around 50% of their beta cells? There's a rather steep jump in blood glucose levels right before you get to the 'irreversible' diagnosis, I think. Either way it seemed in the original study that Prof Taylor was quite surprised that normal function could be resumed - and it definitely makes sense that the more beta cell function you have left, the easier it is to kickstart normal insulin reactions again.

I wonder if that could be established with testing? If they tested for beta cell function as part of DIRECT at the start of the study the results might shed some light on that.
I'm currently reading Fung's Complete Guide to Fasting in which he seems to say that all type 2 is reversible. Am only halfway through it all the moment though and haven't yet got to the bit which talks about who shouldn't fast. It does make complete sense though

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently reading Fung's Complete Guide to Fasting in which he seems to say that all type 2 is reversible. Am only halfway through it all the moment though and haven't yet got to the bit which talks about who shouldn't fast. It does make complete sense though

I know that Dr Fung is very popular around here and that he has helped a lot of people on the forum. However I'm not sure if he's done any clinical trials around his theories yet, which I guess is why the ND is held up as a more 'legitimate' response to T2D than intermittent fasting. I find all of these things are hugely dependent on what is meant by the word 'reversible'. To me that sounds like a return to normal insulin response rather than just having well-controlled blood sugars, but I don't know how Dr Fung uses the terminology

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hectic stressful day with a lesson on BG and stress. My wife was taken into hospital today, it was more than a little stressful. I had been to busy to take a blood test as I was seeing to my wife all morning, once my wife had left in the ambulance I was going to make my way to the hospital in the car. After they had left the house, expecting to be at the hospital all day, I decided I should have my soup as it was getting on for 12. I took my fasting BG as I had not eaten or even been able to finish my coffee, I was shocked to see a reading of 8.1, it was much lower than that before I went to bed. I then had my soup and made my way to the hospital.

Anyhow when I got home I tested before my evening meal and was at 5.3 and 2 hours after 6.3 I am a little gutted as that 8.1 has broken my run of over 3 weeks sub 7, I would not have felt so bad if I would have had something to eat but I never even got to finish my coffee. Wife is fine and all back to "normal" what ever that may be.

Week 8 Day 55:

Fasting BG 8.1 :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that Dr Fung is very popular around here and that he has helped a lot of people on the forum. However I'm not sure if he's done any clinical trials around his theories yet, which I guess is why the ND is held up as a more 'legitimate' response to T2D than intermittent fasting. I find all of these things are hugely dependent on what is meant by the word 'reversible'. To me that sounds like a return to normal insulin response rather than just having well-controlled blood sugars, but I don't know how Dr Fung uses the terminology
I think that Dr Fung's success is counted in the number of his patients who have been successful who probably number significantly more than the ND trials which have involved so far 40 people.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't think it has to be either ND or fasting - I think both approaches are weapons are in our armoury in our fight against T2 as is low carbing or zero carbing.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Officially the final day of the 8 weeks, however I think I will carry on until the end of the week. I have an appointment with my DN on Wednesday for my blood results.

At one point I thought I had lost a day since my diary is dated until the 26th, but then I remembered as a joke I called it the Heinz diet and so it rant for (57) days, 8 weeks being only 56. Probably only us oldies will get that.

My weight remains the same at 71.8 KG however I ate later than normal yesterday because of all the drama that was going on here. I will leave my full stats until Wednesday since I will have my long range test result then.

Week 8 Day 56:

Fasting BG 6.2

Reactions: Goonergal

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello peerless. Just read your thread from the beginning. So very impressed.

I think stress can significantly increase bgl , and so may have something to do with your higher numbers.

I hope that your wife is feeling better today.