Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hoping to remain sub 7 BGs today which will complete a full week of sub 7s.

Week 6 Day 38:

Fasting BG 4.3

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi Mbaker, not completely sure what you mean by a full blood count but my DN moved my blood test forward from the beginning of November to the 14th of September (my long range test). I have the form right here and it states to fast. Tests required Haemoglobin A1c level, blood lipids level, blood liver function profile, blood thyroid stimulating hormone, blood urea and electrolytes, blood.
So allowing a few days for the result of those back I will see my DN sometime in the final week of the 8 weeks part of the diet, which ends on the 26th September. From memory my last 2 long range tests were 120 and 102 respectively although I really need to get a print out of all those results to confirm 100%
I am not to sure what to expect for the long range test it would be great if it was low but I expect because of the way the test works the one three months later will probably be a better indicator ?
Hi @Peerless67 I would imagine the term "full blood count" is verbatim medical terminology used by Doctors to take measurements which not only encompass the results that go hand in hand with the HbA1c, but goes much further. Below is a exert from my full test. I requested this as I wanted to check that my version of LCHF was not making me deficient (my haemoglobin in yellow was the only reading out by 1 (easily fixed by either more red meat or spinach)):

upload_2017-9-7_18-7-6.png

I think your surgery might entertain not just the full count but also fasting insulin - if you got these it will really give you a complete picture as to the impact you have had on your diabetes markers. You might say that the additional cost is minute compared to the knowledge that the practice would gain, which could help others.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mbaker Your lab ref range for estimated haemoglobin is different from mine, yet measurements the same. Mine says 115 to 165 g/l. That seems a big discrepancy. I appreciate labs differ in these standards, but usually not by that much!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mbaker Your lab ref range for estimated haemoglobin is different from mine, yet measurements the same. Mine says 115 to 165 g/l. That seems a big discrepancy. I appreciate labs differ in these standards, but usually not by that much!
Hi @Bluetit1802 on the funny side - i'll take your labs as then everything would be in range, a bit vain. On the not so funny side I have been actively eating more spinach (which I don't mind), but I do mind that on my fish nights I have snuck in some additional red meat squares. Although I like meat, I know for me fish digestion is easier, so it would be annoying if this was not required. I did a little research and it looks like the ranges might be different for females and males.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802 on the funny side - i'll take your labs as then everything would be in range, a bit vain. On the not so funny side I have been actively eating more spinach (which I don't mind), but I do mind that on my fish nights I have snuck in some additional red meat squares. Although I like meat, I know for me fish digestion is easier, so it would be annoying if this was not required. I did a little research and it looks like the ranges might be different for females and males.

Yes, that could be the reason. Your WBC and neutrophils were also low. Did you have a virus at the time, or are you naturally low?

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have my annual eye test today, my BG after my evening meal yesterday was 6.3 and my fasting BG this morning was 5.2 not quite sure what to make of that I have been in the 4s this past couple of weeks.
I managed to remain sub 7 yesterday so I managed to complete another goal which was to remain sub 7 for both Pre and Post meal BG for a full week.
Looking back through my records the last time I exceeded a fasting BG of 5 was 22nd August.

Week 6 day 39:

Fasting BG 5.2

Reactions: Goonergal and Chook

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mbaker I will ask about the blood test when I see my DN sometime after the 14th. I am not sure that I will understand the results but maybe I can google them.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, that could be the reason. Your WBC and neutrophils were also low. Did you have a virus at the time, or are you naturally low?
I haven't felt ill for over 2 years, so I will find out on my next test, as I feel very well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an amazing achievement in the last 40 days - just over two weeks to go...

Reactions: Peerless67

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Peerless, you are doing amazingly well.
As you know, I have been following you since I started the ND a week after you did.
You are doing better than most in terms of BG stats and no meds!
You have always had a plan which has worked.
Don't beat yourself up over the eggs and going over, you probably been under a few times, it's all about balanced diet.
Getting rid of the visceral fat is key and you are doing everything you can to achieve this.

I am staying on the ND for the full 8 weeks then I will be gradually introducing foods using a low carb diet and there is a 30-day low carb programme available on this site.
There is also a forum for low carbs.

I know we are supposed to bring things in gradually and this was mentioned by somebody the other week.
Apparently there is info available regarding this specific subject on the ND website.
I haven't looked yet as I have 3 weeks to go.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @Muzzer :)

Here's a link to the Newcastle Diet Protocol http://www.directclinicaltrial.org.uk/protocol/DiRECTProtocol.pdf (I hope I've done that right!!!)

On the Protocol (page 5) it talks about the initial diet taking 12 weeks - and then a food reintroduction phase for weeks 12 to 18 and then a weight loss maintenance phase for weeks 19 to 104.

@Peerless67 - You are doing great! I wish my FBG were as consistent wonderful as your's are.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your FBG is normal now isn't it. They say that the body likes to keep the BG at 4.9 so 5.1 is just a rounding error.
Can you think back to what it was like just 42 days ago. Amazing.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 7 day 43:

Fasting BG 5.1

Weight 72.1 KG on a full stomach (sorry I ate and drank before weighing)

Waist 32 inches

BMI 20.1

Ketostix still read 8 (second to last colour on chart)

From where I was 6 weeks ago the result so far is more than I could have hoped for. My weight has gone from 84 KG to under 72 KG. My BMI has gone from 24.3 to 20.1 and my BG from high teens and twenties to averaging 4.3 - 7.0 now.
I have now managed 11 consecutive days with BGs of under 7 and 21 days of 42 under 7 in total.

If you recall I started out this year at 104 KG with a BMI of 30.1 and a tight 36 inch waist. I lost 20 KG without trying solely through bad management of my diabetes. I had to go and buy trousers that fitted me and I squeezed into a 34 waist, I am now a 32 inch waist my body has not been in these ranges since I was in my late teens to early twenties.

My weight loss on this diet has been a shade over 12 KG (26.4 LBS) in just 6 weeks, I do however feel that I am now thin and the BMI chart I use agrees with me. However I don't want to mess up so far in so I am going to continue pretty much the same for the next 2 weeks but adding the odd bit of bacon or egg or cheese to my evening meal.

But other than the BG numbers I feel my greatest achievement is what I have NOT done, and that is I have NOT taken 387 tablets so far. To think I was being advised I will need to go onto insulin just over 6 weeks ago is incredible to me.
I have never looked forward to any medical appointments, I do not like being prodded, poked or stuck with needles but in two days time I have my blood test for my long range BG. I am looking forward to the result. I am not expecting miracles because of the way the test works, but I expect it will be much lower than my DN would expect. I shall also ask for one in 5 or 6 weeks time which will give a far more accurate picture of the preceding 3 months.

Even if this diet does not reverse diabetes the health benefits have been worth it, I have no gut, my eyesight has improved beyond belief I only require reading glasses now where I was switching between 6 or 7 pairs of glasses previously.
I had sores on my arms and scalp and thigh. They have almost completely gone. I have only had to get up in the night to use the bathroom maybe 3 times since I started the diet which means I have slept better than I have in a long time.
I just generally feel a lot more well than I have for a long time. I still have problems but they are unrelated to my diabetes and I can cope much easier with them without having to deal with the effects of the diabetes.

Lastly, if you have T2DM I would say speak to your Doctor or Diabetes Nurse and give it a shot, you can not lose anything except some weight and quite possibly rid yourself of the worst effects of diabetes. If it does not reverse it I can vouch it manages it beyond anything I thought possible.

Now praying for the fastest 2 weeks of my life :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That's a great update. Well done in not having to take those 387 tablets and a huge congratulations on getting in to a size 32 waist trousers.

Have you thought about your transition after the eight weeks?

My eyesight changed after a few months of low carbing and I can remember how strange that was. (I don't need glasses at all now.)