bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 7 day 43:

Fasting BG 5.1

Weight 72.1 KG on a full stomach (sorry I ate and drank before weighing)

Waist 32 inches

BMI 20.1

Ketostix still read 8 (second to last colour on chart)

From where I was 6 weeks ago the result so far is more than I could have hoped for. My weight has gone from 84 KG to under 72 KG. My BMI has gone from 24.3 to 20.1 and my BG from high teens and twenties to averaging 4.3 - 7.0 now.
I have now managed 11 consecutive days with BGs of under 7 and 21 days of 42 under 7 in total.

If you recall I started out this year at 104 KG with a BMI of 30.1 and a tight 36 inch waist. I lost 20 KG without trying solely through bad management of my diabetes. I had to go and buy trousers that fitted me and I squeezed into a 34 waist, I am now a 32 inch waist my body has not been in these ranges since I was in my late teens to early twenties.

My weight loss on this diet has been a shade over 12 KG (26.4 LBS) in just 6 weeks, I do however feel that I am now thin and the BMI chart I use agrees with me. However I don't want to mess up so far in so I am going to continue pretty much the same for the next 2 weeks but adding the odd bit of bacon or egg or cheese to my evening meal.

But other than the BG numbers I feel my greatest achievement is what I have NOT done, and that is I have NOT taken 387 tablets so far. To think I was being advised I will need to go onto insulin just over 6 weeks ago is incredible to me.
I have never looked forward to any medical appointments, I do not like being prodded, poked or stuck with needles but in two days time I have my blood test for my long range BG. I am looking forward to the result. I am not expecting miracles because of the way the test works, but I expect it will be much lower than my DN would expect. I shall also ask for one in 5 or 6 weeks time which will give a far more accurate picture of the preceding 3 months.

Even if this diet does not reverse diabetes the health benefits have been worth it, I have no gut, my eyesight has improved beyond belief I only require reading glasses now where I was switching between 6 or 7 pairs of glasses previously.
I had sores on my arms and scalp and thigh. They have almost completely gone. I have only had to get up in the night to use the bathroom maybe 3 times since I started the diet which means I have slept better than I have in a long time.
I just generally feel a lot more well than I have for a long time. I still have problems but they are unrelated to my diabetes and I can cope much easier with them without having to deal with the effects of the diabetes.

Lastly, if you have T2DM I would say speak to your Doctor or Diabetes Nurse and give it a shot, you can not lose anything except some weight and quite possibly rid yourself of the worst effects of diabetes. If it does not reverse it I can vouch it manages it beyond anything I thought possible.

Now praying for the fastest 2 weeks of my life :)
You are a complete star.. you have chosen a very hard path and have stuck to it so very well..Hats off and much success in the future too.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Peerless, that's all fantastic, don't think you could hope for more, congratulations and well done, you have gone through all this with military precision.

You deserve these results and recognition. And I wish you all the luck in the world with the last two weeks and forthcoming longe range test(s).

Reactions: Peerless67

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I'm looking forward to your HBA1C, it will show an improvement, mine did when I initially did the blood sugar diet and yours is so much stricter than that. The best bit is that you are feeling so much better. That''s the important bit :D

RMC1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 7 day 44:

Fasting BG 5.5
Hi I have been reading your updates and am feeling completely inspired by what you are doing. Thank you! I was diagnosed T2 in June and have been low carbing with metformin which has brought me down to around 7 but I really want to do the Newcastle diet and see if I can get lower and lose the pills.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi I have been reading your updates and am feeling completely inspired by what you are doing. Thank you! I was diagnosed T2 in June and have been low carbing with metformin which has brought me down to around 7 but I really want to do the Newcastle diet and see if I can get lower and lose the pills.

Go for it! It can't hurt to try. This is my third attempt and its going better for me this time. The key to success, I think, is careful planning. Are you thinking of doing shakes and soups or the real food version?

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you. I would say don't delay, the metformin should not cause any issues as some people continue to take them for other benefits. I would just say let your Dr or DN know what you are doing.

RMC1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Go for it! It can't hurt to try. This is my third attempt and its going better for me this time. The key to success, I think, is careful planning. Are you thinking of doing shakes and soups or the real food version?

I read the protocol for the latest Newcastle trial which said 800 calories of Cambridge plan soups or shakes. That will suit me because there's less to think about. My only issue is I have a big holiday planned in early November, but I'm thinking of starting anyway and seeing where I get to. I'll take the advice about letting the DN know, thanks. Did you stop taking any meds? Thanks

RMC1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I would say don't delay, the metformin should not cause any issues as some people continue to take them for other benefits. I would just say let your Dr or DN know what you are doing.

Thanks Peerless, I will let the DN know, I'm having my 3 month check next week so will have a good basis to measure from.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read the protocol for the latest Newcastle trial which said 800 calories of Cambridge plan soups or shakes. That will suit me because there's less to think about. My only issue is I have a big holiday planned in early November, but I'm thinking of starting anyway and seeing where I get to. I'll take the advice about letting the DN know, thanks. Did you stop taking any meds? Thanks

Hi RMC1967, I stopped all my medication on the start of the diet August 1st. I was taking 9 tablets and was being pushed toward insulin injections. I have taken no T2 meds at all since then.

RMC1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi RMC1967, I stopped all my medication on the start of the diet August 1st. I was taking 9 tablets and was being pushed toward insulin injections. I have taken no T2 meds at all since then.

That's fantastic, so impressive. I'm not hugely confident my Dr will be supportive (standard NHS advice so far) but I have done lots of reading and trust my judgement and all the experience I can see on here.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
@RMC1967 I'd tell them what you are doing and then ask what they think dropping the metformin would do? I refused to take any drugs at all on my diagnosis and had a go at the blood sugar diet which is based on the ND. DN was quite impressed that my bg levels had gone down but my cholesterol had gone up so then they wanted me to take statins.... I refused, am quite interested in going properly on the ketogenic way of eating both for blood results and to lose weight, am pretty stubborn about not taking tablets, mostly due to what I've read which has been Peerless' (and other people I've read posts from) experience of more and more meds and finally wanting to inject insulin.

RMC1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@RMC1967 I'd tell them what you are doing and then ask what they think dropping the metformin would do? I refused to take any drugs at all on my diagnosis and had a go at the blood sugar diet which is based on the ND. DN was quite impressed that my bg levels had gone down but my cholesterol had gone up so then they wanted me to take statins.... I refused, am quite interested in going properly on the ketogenic way of eating both for blood results and to lose weight, am pretty stubborn about not taking tablets, mostly due to what I've read which has been Peerless' (and other people I've read posts from) experience of more and more meds and finally wanting to inject insulin.

Hi thepolly, and thanks for the encouragement. I completely agree, I watched one of the YouTube videos with Dr Fung and he said most T2s see that ongoing increase in meds. It was what really focused my mind actually.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 7 Day 45:

Fasting BG 5.7

I have been curious as to why my fasting BGs have been on the rise with no change in diet, so yesterday I skipped my veg evening meal and had chicken soup with broccoli, still had the rise in BG this morning.

Off now to the surgery for my blood test.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Week 7 Day 45:

Fasting BG 5.7

I have been curious as to why my fasting BGs have been on the rise with no change in diet, so yesterday I skipped my veg evening meal and had chicken soup with broccoli, still had the rise in BG this morning.

Off now to the surgery for my blood test.

That rise in the morning is probably dawn phenomenon - its something I've struggled with for the last two years. It really only started once I got my BGs under control. Different people have different ways of dealing with DP but the only way that works for me is to have a reasonable protein and fat breakfast. I still get the DP but the breakfast stops it going any higher.

I hope your blood test goes really well for you.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That rise in the morning is probably dawn phenomenon - its something I've struggled with for the last two years. It really only started once I got my BGs under control. Different people have different ways of dealing with DP but the only way that works for me is to have a reasonable protein and fat breakfast. I still get the DP but the breakfast stops it going any higher.

I hope your blood test goes really well for you.

I guess thats possible Chook but I went from low to mid 4s to mid 5s, I will only do soups again today so I can see if it changes. If not DP seems a reasonable assumption. I am stuck as far as eating in the morning goes as I just can not stomach food early in the day.

Right after my blood test I booked an appointment with my DN for the result, would you believe my appointment is for the 27th which is the day after the 8 weeks end and is my wedding anniversary. I may go out to eat that evening.

Reactions: TIANDB