Pen or Pump?

LiamC93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello guys!

Ive had type 1 for about 4months now and have been using a pen to inject my insulin. Ive noticed the pump may be less of a hassle than the pen. Just wanted an opinion from you guys who've done both. What are the pro's and con's? May consider jumping to the pump if the opportunity arrises.

Thanks guys,
Liam. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @LiamC93 Knowing what I do about how the NHS operates, it's not easy to get access to a pump, generally you need to of attended a DAFNE course and will be experiencing issues in regards to your self management, such as running a consistently high HbA1c despite demonstrating that you trying hard to mange your condition, the basic rule is that pumps are not given to everyone simply due to cost. I personally would of never of switched to a pump however I was struggling with keeping a good HbA1c having been diagnosed 4 years, my DSN could see the level of effort I was putting in so I was given the option of a pump as it had affected my quality of life. Gaining access to a pump meant greater vigilance and weekly dialogue with my DSN to make adjustments, it took a good 3 months before I could really see benefits and within that period I still had doubts that a pump was the right way forward. If you think that your control would benefit a pump then it is a good idea but it requires input and effort so not the easy option it may seem.

D

Deleted Account

Basically, a pump has more configuration options which gives you more control especially concerning the rate of basal.
As a result, a pump requires more work. For example, you have to carb count more accurately.

If you find you need to change your basal dose at different times of the day, a pump is the way to go. For example, if you experience the dawn phenomenon or exercise regularly.

Reactions: himtoo

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pumps are becoming more available to more people now but generally you would only be given one if your were struggling to achieve the target HbA1c despite best efforts on MDI with proven dose adjustment skills......

Or if you were super sensitive to insulin and were having hypos constantly which effected your quality of life

Or the Dawn Phenomenon...

At 4 months its unlikely you would be funded for one however you should definitely start the structured education process as soon as you can and try for a pump when your ready...