1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pen users - do you forget?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by dizzydonkeys, Jun 23, 2017.

1. dizzydonkeys

dizzydonkeys Type 1 · Newbie

Anyone a pen user that forgets their doses? Common with the older generation, and probably for those newly diagnosed as its not yet 'normal'. I am looking for a few case studies to trial a product and answer a few generic questions for me. Any volunteers appareciated. Thanks

2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Insulchek and timesulin do pen reminders -- is this the sort of thing you are referring to ??

https://timesulin.com/

3. dizzydonkeys

dizzydonkeys Type 1 · Newbie

No not quite as complex as those.
    See attached (hopefully) is patented etc but been shelved due to old age, said would research with view to goi g to market.

Attached Files:

4. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I really can't see anybody using that box thing. Novopens come with a built in digital display which tells you the size and time since your last dose.

5. Old_Dave

Old_Dave Type 2 · Active Member

I use Timesulin to keep track of my NovaRapid and stop me overdosing or double dosing. The slow release is just based around mealtimes i.e. Breakfast / Dinner

6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

If I had more room in my prescription cupboard I'd use at home but not practical for my handbag.
    Housebound might benefit thou if no little hands to interfer.

7. Old_Dave

Old_Dave Type 2 · Active Member

My Novapens don't have any digital display at all - just the dosage dial however Timesulin gives me the time since I last injected and my meter can tell me the last dosage and all the others before it.

8. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Active Member

Sorry not to be supportive but whilst I'm thinking that I need a reminder system (I currently have nothing) this wouldn't work for me. When I'm working or out and about this would be of no use....

10. fletchweb

fletchweb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dosage isn't a problem but I did forget to give my final shot about a month or so ago - completely missed my Basal shot - figured it out in the morning when I found my pen still in my pants pocket (This marks twice in my life where I have forgotten to give my shot) once I gave the wrong insulin - accidentally injecting fast acting instead of my Basal - realized just after I did it and had to eat a night time big meal to prevent going in to hypo.
    But that's been about it - over the years I've been living with diabetes. Not bad I guess...

11. Monkey201

Monkey201 Type 2 · Member

Happy to volunteer ... 46 yo female stage 2 diabetic on insulin past 2-3 years, use Humapen with no auto-reminder. Also have ME, so have set up my own reminder system using once (was twice) same time of day (morning) with a daily manual tick off amount/date paper slip kept inside case. Have only missed about 3 doses since started using my pen.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook