Perception of diabetes in the media

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

My name is Will and I’m currently studying Product Design at Nottingham Trent University. I’m doing a personal design project in which I am looking at empowering people living with Type 2 diabetes.

I am currently in the research phase so I am trying to understand what it’s like living with Type 2 diabetes in the long-term. I am particularly interested in how people feel the media portray diabetes and how friends, family and strangers perceive it. I would like to understand the highs and lows in the everyday life living with Type 2 diabetes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will keep the forum updated with my progress.

Thanks!
For the sake of the research I just sat through most of the film again, the one where Kiefer Sutherland injects Professor Logan with insulin. It's on Netflix, named Touch and it is Season 1 Episode 7.

M

mist

For the sake of the research I just sat through most of the film again, the one where Kiefer Sutherland injects Professor Logan with insulin. It's on Netflix, named Touch and it is Season 1 Episode 7.

Kiefer Sutherland can do anything though! He's his fathers son! :joyful:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi All
Could we please stick to replies concerning the original thread topic

'Perception of diabetes in the media'

thank you

Reactions: zand
M

ME_Valentijn

A major misconception is that it's all basically Type 2. Articles will frequently be discussing Type 2, but simply refer to it as "Diabetes", and say things which are completely inapplicable to Type 1. But many journalists are in that field because things like biology didn't really pan out for them in school, so it's very rare for one to understand anything medical. Naturally the message they pass along contains a fair bit of gibberish as a result.

Another misconception is that Type 2 is usually, or only, caused by sitting around and over-eating. I'm forced to do the sitting around due to being disabled by a chronic illness, but the only advice I've gotten from nutritionists, both before and after developing diabetes, is that I should be eating more bread. And there's plenty of people who were skinny and active when developing Type 2. Does being overweight contribute to Type 2? Quite possibly. Does it cause Type 2? Definitely not, or the skinny/active cases simply would not happen.

My final peeve would be the misconception that Type 2 isn't chronic or serious. It's often being presented as something caused by being overweight, and presumably cured by losing a little weight and going for walks. But the reality is that even previously overweight Type 2s still can't eat a normal diet, or even stop meds sometimes, even though they've lost all the extra weight and are running marathons now.

Reactions: Alison Campbell