Personal experiences after delivery - updated 24/12

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I can't believe I'm saying this already but in just 10 days time I'm scheduled for an induction at 37 weeks and am beyond excited!

I was wondering what everyone's experiences have been after delivery? How long did you have to stay in hospital? What checks do they do on you/baby?

I've had an incredibly normal, problem free pregnancy with the consultant even questioning this week whether I'm actually diabetic!

I would obviously love to be out of hospital as quickly after the birth as possible so that we can celebrate Christmas at home but want to see how realistic that is going to be based on everything happening according to plan without complications...

Thanks in advance xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It was nearly 7 years ago I had my son but I will try my best to recall the day in question for you in hopes it helps :)..
I was induced at 38 weeks , scan prior showed no distress everything healthy , and baby at a good weight so not too big:) I went to the hosp , was kept waiting for a hours but it was mad busy at the hosp ,at the end of that day I was told I would need to be transferred via ambulance tomorrow to be induced at a hospital 30-40 miles away with a special care unit as the ward was just too busy to induce me etc even tbough I'd been kept waiting all day promised for something to be started , I was told when I came in naturally I was already 2cm dilated (was news to me I couldn't feel a thing to be honest ) so that was good news , so early the next morning I was transferred to Winchester hospital where I was brought into a public labour ward with woman in labour etc was given lunch and a run through on what was going to happen (at this point was panicked as my oh was yet to arrive 45 mins away ... I was then taken to a private room when a pessary /gel was inserted .. As soon as doc took his hand out I could feel active contractions which makes sense as I was already 2cm gone naturally , they continued periodically (prob hourly or so) whilst I was taken back to the public labour ward , waiting for my oh to arrive at this point I did feel scared to be alone (we were told I wouldn't be induced until later afternoon at which point my oh had to gather my hosp bag car seat etc to bring it etc but I was induced much earlier than expected hence being alone ) as the afternoon went on with some checks from nurses by the time my oh got there I was in agony with fairly regular contractions ... Still manageable though Inbetween , after I'd been to toilet I was in real shone at which point they still wouldn't bring me to a private room as I was 3-4 cm dilated ...after some moaning and pacing Contractions then got much closer becoming back to back with no breaks Inbetween (which generally happens with induction ) at that pint I was the loudest on the ward and taken into a private room thankgod ! At this point I was now 5-6 cm dilated which was v quick !! They manually broke my waters at this point , I had gas and air which made me sick in labour ,then had an epidural , it made no difference to me though (works for some but not others) ...also at this point I wasn't even considering my blood sugars as I was on a sliding scale so just had to trust the doctors here ... My main concern was the back to back contractions here ...my body was becoming exhausted at this point and was almost time to push ... Baby was fine as he was being monitored too , docs panicked and brought me down for emergency c sec ... I was pretty drowsy at this point though...in the end the nurse insisted she thought I was capable of a vagibal birth myself ...so for the last stretch I had another epidural and a pethidine injection which took all the pain away entirely I was also told at this point my sugars were a tad low hence my struggle so had more Iv glucose and had to eat biccues in active labour ! Still it did the trick I was fine baby was fine ... I'm greatful I had the epidural and pethidine as I was cut but felt nothing nor did I whilst pushing which was a relieve ! He was born at 7.04 pm after being induced at 6 am that day ...(Iv tried to cut a long story a bit short but I felt like my labour was v quick ) he was born at 7lb 3oz :) blood sugars completely stable at birth and the hours after , mine however were very low which was in my control after , all in all my exp of sliding scale was good and I felt in good hands , no major complication in delivery and no big waiting for labour after my induction :) I'm pregnant with my second and I'm confident with being induced again ...I just hope I don't have to be transferred again that was really my annoyance as I was alone for the start of my induction ...apart from that was very happy and had a healthy baby boy at a good weight :)
Sorry of Iv rambled and not been much help here my memory is hazey too
Goodluck it's going to be amazing xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh and I was kept in for 3-4 days I think just to be careful as he had jaundice and my sugars were crazy and were high risk ..docs just worry but I could of managed them at home fine I know X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exciting news @Ellie_Wilko !

I stayed in varying lengths of time with my 3 children, but a couple of days would probably be the minimum as they like to make sure baby's blood sugar is ok (and that you're ok too). Don't worry if it looks like they're fussing about baby's blood sugar. They like to make sure it's ok and they'll test lots and encourage you to,feed them as soon as you can to help their blood sugar stabilise now they're outside the uterus.

However, I'd pack extra stuff just in case you need to stay a bit longer just for your peace of mind. It's not relaxing to be scrabbling around for clean clothes, etc : D

Birth is unpredictable so no one can say for sure how long you'll be in, but if you and baby are fine, then I'd say two days was a reasonable estimate. Even if your baby needed a little,extra monitoring, then it would probably only be a few days extra, and even if you needed a section, then again that would only add a few days to,your stay so you could recover.

My tips are prepare mentally (childbirth is a lot about your mental attitude), know what's happening with the induction process and ask questions, keep active if possible, test your BS lots, relax and know this is what your body is made to do - and pack plenty of Lucozade and snacks! The post-delivery hypos can be sudden and you'll probably find you need lots of extra 'top ups' for breastfeeding too. That's very normal.

Keep us updated - and sending you my best wishes for a smooth induction and a stress-free delivery. XX

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ellie_Wilko what date would that make your induction? I have mine booked for 11am on Sunday 18th December so I'm guessing we're close! Although my consultant is still deciding on whether to go down the c-section route. How exciting. Obviously I can't give advice or information as I haven't had it yet but good luck and enjoy your little bundle when he/she arrives!:D

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Ellie_Wilko what date would that make your induction? I have mine booked for 11am on Sunday 18th December so I'm guessing we're close! Although my consultant is still deciding on whether to go down the c-section route. How exciting. Obviously I can't give advice or information as I haven't had it yet but good luck and enjoy your little bundle when he/she arrives!:D

I've got to call at 7.30am on the 19th to make sure there's a bed free and if so then go in then, if not it will be at some point that day!

How come there considering doing a c section straight away?

Good luck to you and let's hope it's as stress free as possible for us both xx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got to call at 7.30am on the 19th to make sure there's a bed free and if so then go in then, if not it will be at some point that day!

How come there considering doing a c section straight away?

Good luck to you and let's hope it's as stress free as possible for us both xx
Exciting! Hopefully there will be a bed for you.
They are only considering c-section because of the babies size and I am quite petite.
Good luck to you too, I hope the induction works quickly and safely for you x

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So after a very long week of every step of the induction failing, Tommy James was born via emergency c section on 22nd December at 37+3 weighing 6lb 6oz!

Bloods were ever so slightly low after birth but after having a small amount of pre-harvested colostrum picked up and then had 3 good readings and everything has since been fine.

We got to come home this afternoon just in time for Christmas

2cdb7acf98696920b27519f4e94ee212.jpg

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Ellie_Wilko ! He's a cutie! I hope you're recovering ok.

Have a wonderful Christmas with Tommy James xxx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's beautiful, congratulations and enjoy your first Christmas with your new little family xx

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Congratulations! What a gorgeous baby !