Personal independence payment

chelseacee13

Well after 6 months of waiting, went to my appointment today!
Not just for diabetes though!
Also
OCD &chronic anxiety
Nerve damage in legs and arms
Social phobia & general anxiety lol
Anyone else get pip? If so what for and where you accepted after assessment or have to go to appeal?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: Hartnell6

Adele99

I've never claimed PIP but as far as I'm aware it's awarded based on your mobility and care needs, not on what conditions or illnesses you're diagnosed with. Which makes sense as not everyone is affected in the same way or has the same level or severity of a condition. So it would be hard to suggest just because someone else with The same condition was awarded it then everyone else will be to if you understand what I mean.

From what I've read the assessments done by Capita seem to be fairly comprehensively done and give fair results. Now you've been assessed unfortunately you'll probably just have to wait until you get your decision , and I think it can be a few weeks before that happens and longer if the DWP ask for any further clarification on the assessment.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never claimed PIP but as far as I'm aware it's awarded based on your mobility and care needs, not on what conditions or illnesses you're diagnosed with. Which makes sense as not everyone is affected in the same way or has the same level or severity of a condition. So it would be hard to suggest just because someone else with The same condition was awarded it then everyone else will be to if you understand what I mean.

From what I've read the assessments done by Capita seem to be fairly comprehensively done and give fair results. Now you've been assessed unfortunately you'll probably just have to wait until you get your decision , and I think it can be a few weeks before that happens and longer if the DWP ask for any further clarification on the assessment.
My partner finally got pip and altogether it took almost a year, she had the appointment in September and capita never sent the report to dwp until April

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My grown up daughter now has PIP, as she has finally been diagnosed with Autism after many years of problems:( but at least now, someone has taken notice and she will hopefully get the right support and treatment.

Adele99

My partner finally got pip and altogether it took almost a year, she had the appointment in September and capita never sent the report to dwp until April

That certainly took Capita an awful long time to send that report then. Often the long delays seem to be in getting the assessment appointment arranged, but once that stage is reached it's anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks for the DWP to process and make a decision. Unless the DWP decision maker asks for clarification and then it's a case of ping pong between the 2.

Glad you got there eventually .

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was all down to capita not dwp, it took them months to write the report as it had to be written by 2 medical personnel

jess2222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
type 2 diabetes
Also
OCD &chronic anxiety
Anyone else get pip? If so what for and where you accepted after assessment or have to go to appeal?

hi iv just won appeal.type 2 and nurophathy in legs and feet,pluss i have eptopnic heart beats,plus anxiety.i suppose you similar to myself where the nerve pain interfears with you sleep making you drowsy aswell of a day with tablets.hope this helps,be poilite but strong and stand your ground if you go to appeal.good look

Symbacat666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i eventually got pip in october last year it took nearly 9 months in total but is a god send, i have been able to get a powerchair on the mobility scheme which has finally given me some independance back. it takes some time to get there but be patient. type 1

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently on DLA, high rate mobility and high rate care, awarded indefinitely. But I've just read that I live in one of the next areas to be changed over to PIP and will probably have an assessment later in the year. I've heard they've made it much stricter and that people who rely on it to help them live as near normal a life as possible are being turned down.
I got a power wheelchair with my DLA and have an adapted van to carry the chair (ex-ambulance converted into a camper with wheelchair lift in the back), neither of which I could have afforded without the DLA. I'm sick to death of this government and its persecution of sick and disabled people, it's really not our fault!
Having said all that I might get through with no problem, but so many people don't :(

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
at the moment i get middle rate care of DLA awarded indefinatly but i do know eventually that i will be assessed for PIP and doubt very much that i will get it

joey62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
swearing.smoking.
I recieve D.L.A at the moment high for mobility.middle care component.this is due for renewing in October.I was diagnosed with a severe life changing auto immune disease,it is a cruel disease i take a variety of medication including morphine.i have had fourteen months of chemotherapy just to suppress my immune system to nearly no protection against infection or against bacteria,the total amount of medication i take daily before diagnosis of diabetes is at least 30 different ones.do i reapply to pip now or wait till renewal date.

N

NicolaB70

I recieve D.L.A at the moment high for mobility.middle care component.this is due for renewing in October.I was diagnosed with a severe life changing auto immune disease,it is a cruel disease i take a variety of medication including morphine.i have had fourteen months of chemotherapy just to suppress my immune system to nearly no protection against infection or against bacteria,the total amount of medication i take daily before diagnosis of diabetes is at least 30 different ones.do i reapply to pip now or wait till renewal date.

I also receive the middle rate for care and the higher rate for mobility DLA, both indefinitely.
This morning I've received my proof of entitlement letter from DWP and it does say to claim that PIP if there are any changes in your health or if your DLA is due to end or be reviewed, then you may be asked to make a claim for PIP. Everyone in claim of DLA will not be contacted until 2015 or later.
I'm personally just going to wait until I hear from them regarding the change and keep my fingers crossed that I will get the PIP as I currently have a motability car and that is my lifeline for getting out and about. Everyone's circumstances are different, you have to do what's right for you

Reactions: 2 people

Innes17832

Also
OCD &chronic anxiety

Yea mate they think all diabetics just jag insulin and our life is peachy...no bad eyes no pain in legs and my fav no hypo awareness. ....nothing about diabetic burn out..av been living with this for 40 years and now money stopped. And going for appeals

Reactions: Polly1974

bentley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had my assessment for change from DLA to PIP and was refused, applied for reconsideration, I got help from CAB and had letter yesterday still refusing I now have to decide wether to go to tribunal. It is not just diabetes I have long term mental health issues and take a large amount of medication including three antidepressants. Do I go to tribunal or just give up?

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
60% of tribunal appeals are won. That's 60% of people who bother to appeal. If everyone appealed the figure would be much higher.
If you believe you have genuine medical issues that affect your day to day living, then get advice from CAB or similar & appeal.
Don't forget that you only have 28 days to lodge an appeal.

Reactions: oopsupside

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Had my assessment for change from DLA to PIP and was refused, applied for reconsideration, I got help from CAB and had letter yesterday still refusing I now have to decide wether to go to tribunal. It is not just diabetes I have long term mental health issues and take a large amount of medication including three antidepressants. Do I go to tribunal or just give up?
No - try and appeal - my nephew had to do this (he is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic) and he lost his first claim because his mental health nurse helped(?) him fill in his forms. He had to go before judges in court to get it reinstated but he got it and got his money backdated.

A friend of mine took nearly a year to get hers - from application to final decision. They do backdate the payment though to give them their due.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
The tribunal is not as daunting as some people imagine.
One judge, one doctor & one dissibilty advisor. The tribunal is quite informal with no members of the public there.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I would say go for it.
Though in saying that, I was on dla and had to apply for pip
I did this on 3 occasions, went onto 3 tribunial and was still refused pip
If you Don, t try, you will never know the outcome

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you do decide to appeal then choose to attend the tribunal in person rather than have it decided on the papers (it's an option on the appeal form you fill in). I don't have the figures to hand but appeals where you come to the Tribunal are much much more successful.

The Tribunal panel can ask you questions about things that are not covered in the papers. Sending medical evidence from doctors that treat you is usually a good idea rather than just relying on the assessment that is done but some doctors may charge for the letter.

The Tribunal basically make the decision again based on the date of the original decision from the DWP.