Personal independence payment

Charliiiiiday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 16 years old. I have type 1 diabetes that is well controlled and I don't have any other disabilities. My parents received money from DLA (disability living allowance) until I was 16 years old and then it stopped. They told me to apply for PIP and I received a letter saying that I don't qualify for it. Does anyone know if I should receive PIP or do you know of anything else that I should get. It is harder to live with diabetes, I was diagnosed at 13 years old and it changed my life now I have to control my blood sugar level and count carbohydrates every meal.

C

catherinecherub

If you are controlling your diabetes well, have full mobility and do not require any help then it is highly unlikely that you will be entitled to anything.

I can understand that you find it quite laborious to control your blood sugars but that is what diabetics have to do and it is hard, especially for someone so young.

Reactions: 7 people

Charliiiiiday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are controlling your diabetes well, have full mobility and do not require any help then it is highly unlikely that you will be entitled to anything.

I can understand that you find it quite laborious to control your blood sugars but that is what diabetics have to do and it is hard, especially for someone so young.
Thanks for letting me know

Reactions: 2 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The conditions for getting DLA as a child [under 16 years] and adult [over 16 years] are different, so it has always been relatively normal for people with type 1 diabetes to stop getting DLA when they turn 16 years. With the changeover for people aged 16 to 60 years, from DLA to PIP, there's the added complication of different conditions for getting PIP. I guess most people with T1D would score some points for using essential medical equipment [blood glucose meters], but not enough points to get Care Standard Rate.

Reactions: 2 people