Pesto Ideas

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Busy meal planning for the next few days and scouring the shelves I see Suma's vegan pesto siciliana only has 1.9g of carbs /100g . Looks like that'll be a staple from now on then.

So what to do with it? I suppose veggie noodles is the obvious one. Any other vegan ideas would be much appreciated :)

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not many ideas on the web - as you say with veggie noodles - how about a low carb pizza using the pesto rather than the tomato sauce, large mushrooms or peppers stuffed with cauli rice, veggie cheese and the pesto drizzled over the top when serving. Stirred into soup to finish it off - minestrone would be nice like this or a red pepper soup. Not sure as those arecjustvoff the top of my head and I'm not vegetarian so having to think out of the box

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Busy meal planning for the next few days and scouring the shelves I see Suma's vegan pesto siciliana only has 1.9g of carbs /100g . Looks like that'll be a staple from now on then.

So what to do with it? I suppose veggie noodles is the obvious one. Any other vegan ideas would be much appreciated :)

Good find :) We like the Sacla Free From Pesto which is vegan but higher carb. On their website they have this recipe which looks good http://www.sacla.co.uk/recipes/free-from/piemontese-peppers-with-pesto-free-from/

Another vote for courgetti in pesto sauce. Lovely topped with some sun dried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts or almond flakes.

Or on a Lidl roll. Split into 3 thin triangles, toast, spread on pesto then pile high with avocado, roasted Mediterranean veg, olives or whatever you fancy.

Mix pesto with soya yogurt or silken tofu to make a dip for raw veg. Or drizzle the dip/sauce over salad or veg.

Reactions: letstalk1

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby often does quorn chicken topped with pesto and backed with lemon which is lovely. Alternatively a large field mushroom with pesto filling, peppers cherry tomato and topped with mozzarella before oven baking also delicious

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Marinate firm tofu?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Pesto is great on almost anything. On a lettuce wrap, thinned for salad dressing, on fish, turkey, chicken, any veggie. No need to get fancy, just swipe it on anything!!! I love pesto.