Petition help

Amandamacd89

Type of diabetes
Carer
To whom this may concern,

I have created a petition on change.org campaigning for free/concessionary travel for carers that I would appreciate you getting behind and showing your support.

I was a Carer from a Young Age to a family member who suffered a long fight with Early Onset Dementia from the age of 48, Epilepsy, Diabetes and many other conditions. I am also part of my local carers centre and have met many carers of all ages that all have had a huge impact on their lives from Caring. This is why I feel so strongly about this issue and have heard how much this simple change would help so many.

The proposal is that the government take the initiative to offer free/ concessionary transport for carers to allow them to better care. This could be possible either through adapting the concession and companion card which currently allows the carer to travel with the cared for but not separately which in most cases is needed or through some form of add on to carers allowance for those in receipt of it. Though preferably carers wouldn't need to be in receipt of carers allowance as not every carer who could benefit from this travel are.

My petition has currently reached over 2200 signatures and is being backed by my local council's petition board (Renfrewshire Council), in lobbying the Scottish Government to provide free/concessionary transport for unpaid carers.

Some other supporters of my petition include; Cosla, The coalition of carers, Carers UK, ME Association, Enable Scotland and many MSP's.

Any support you show would be truly appreciated.

The link below directs you to my petition. I would truly appreciate your signature and if you could encourage others by sharing it on your social media pages.

https://www.change.org/p/concessionary-transport-for-all-carers-they-require-your-help

Kind regards
Amanda Macdonald

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Amandamacd89 ,

Welcome to the forum!

Carers are the unsung heroes..
I've been a "third party" carer for my elderly mum who was full time caring for my T2 dad with dementia..
I have the luxury of owning a car... (Actually it's a van.) Balancing it all with work to support my mum took some planning at the time before my dad passed away. (Luckily with an empathic employer.)

A carer doing it full time? Especially when undertaking the challenge as a family member knows the "bespoke" requirements of the patient more than any HCP.
Everything helps.... You guys have my support & utmost respect..!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Best wishes for your campaign @Amandamacd89.
Local councils should also provide free parking permits for carers in areas where there are parking charges.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Signed and shared - a very worthy petition, good luck.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. A million times yes. Signed and shared.

Also, I'm 99% certain you could get this into newsletters in every Local Authority when school goes back in September by writing to the following two orgs, both of whom work with parent carers - many of whom don't drive and struggle with getting their kids to school, short breaks, shops etc for exactly this reason. Many of us tried to get a provision for concessionary bus travel into the Care Act, but our effort was just too little too late in a complex bill that was working with so many agencies it was really struggling to see the wood for the trees.

Good for you for taking this up again - and good luck!

http://www.nnpcf.org.uk/ - The umbrella organisation that manages parent carer forums across the UK (151 LA's, 150 forums). It's a massive network and sends out regular newsletters to local forums who can have - in cities - upwards of 5k families on their contact lists. They're all volunteers, though, so won't go back to work until the first week of September.

https://www.cafamily.org.uk/ - National organisation that lobbies for the legal and social rights (including inclusion, community support and access) of families with disabled children, and your petition is right up their alley.

Reactions: Prem51