Petition to reduce VAT on low sugar foods

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I wont be signing the petition. Ice cream is considered a luxury, non-essential food so attracts standard rating. Oppo will know they have no chance. Smacks of a viral marketing campaign to me. Welcome to the forum OP.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a great idea, but one that will never in a million years be entertained by our government.

Lets look at the bedroom tax for example. The less fortunate got hammered for extra bedrooms in council housing which they were allocated. The government received nothing but negative press for this, and instead of abolishing it - they introduced mansion tax to balance the scales...

The route they chose to make things "even" for everybody, ultimately resulted in them being quids in. I'm afraid the same applies for removing or reducing tax on healthy foods... It's not an option the government will contemplate because they can make more money taxing the unhealthy stuff. Real shame.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just because it's a low sugar food doesn't mean it's not a luxury so I doubt it will happen -.there are hundreds of low/no sugar foods that are vat free - veg, meat etc etc. It's not about the content it's about being classed as a luxury or treat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Anything which makes living a low carb life gets my vote. That's putting my health first which normally knocks my pocket. Not everyone can afford the less harmful ice cream to my bgs. Yes, please no vat. ;)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Just seen it now and it certainly gets my support. I also agree with your point about the financial impact of eating a really healthy diet....it's tough for many people.