Phinney and Volek start new online health practise

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, it was a sincere question. I'm self taught, though I come from a family educated in science and mathematics. Dad was trained in chemistry, mother in biology. Grandparents, both sides, and uncles were all engineers.

I've spent the last 2 years, anywhere from 10 to 40 hours a week reading and learning about diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, and autoimmune disease because I've been hit hard with ALL of these conditions. So for me this isn't "fun and games". It's hard to have a conversation with you because you reject everything presented to you.

No, I read it, then question the glaring holes in the logic.
Simply blindly accepting the parts you find support your own conclusions, and glossing over the errors, doesn't work for me.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alzheimer's seemed to be more related to the insulin resistance, which causes the high insulin level, and treatment by GLP antagonists may be a viable option. So restoring the pathway, and letting the brain use the insulin, rather than simply turning it off.
However that still doesn't explain why we haven't seen a massive unexplained flood of all diabetes systems over the last 4 decades.

Douglas, we are seeing "a massive unexplained flood" of insulin driven disease now, it's cardiovascular disease and dementia. If you didn't listen to all of Jeffry Gerber's presentation, I really encourage you too. I've actually had to listen to it a couple of times to relate what he's saying to the information in his slideshow.

What's been bugging me for some time now is how is it that forum members here are having significant diabetes complications shortly after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes? I thought diabetic complications took decades to develop. Nutritional deficiencies? Elevated insulin levels? I think it's both.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I read it, then question the glaring holes in the logic.
Simply blindly accepting the parts you find support your own conclusions, and glossing over the errors, doesn't work for me.

Douglas, nothing I'm presenting to you is what I want to be true. Unlike you, I have a 35 year history of disregulated glucose levels that have really wreaked my body. That said, thanks to eating a very healthy diet, walking, tightly controlling my glucose levels, taking a lot of thoughtfully chosen, quality nutritional supplements, and identifying and not eating foods that trigger more autoimmune attacks on healthy tissue, I'm a lot healthier now.

Douglas, do you still test your glucose levels? How do they range? Do you have any health issues, or diabetic complications?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, we are seeing "a massive unexplained flood" of insulin driven disease now, it's cardiovascular disease and dementia. If you didn't listen to all of Jeffry Gerber's presentation, I really encourage you too. I've actually had to listen to it a couple of times to relate what he's saying to the information in his slideshow.

What's been bugging me for some time now is how is it that forum members here are having significant diabetes complications shortly after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes? I thought diabetic complications took decades to develop. Nutritional deficiencies? Elevated insulin levels? I think it's both.

Yes, I thought you would say that.
That would make sense if it was a relatively new problem.
The issue is he said exactly the same thing 43 years ago.
So, why didn't it have the same effect in that generation?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, nothing I'm presenting to you is what I want to be true. Unlike you, I have a 35 year history of disregulated glucose levels that have really wreaked my body. That said, thanks to eating a very healthy diet, walking, tightly controlling my glucose levels, taking a lot of thoughtfully chosen, quality nutritional supplements, and identifying and not eating foods that trigger more autoimmune attacks on healthy tissue, I'm a lot healthier now.

Douglas, do you still test your glucose levels? How do they range? Do you have any health issues, or diabetic complications?

I still test, although very infrequently.
My levels are in the normal range generally, by the normal definition.
I don't have any health issues, I pass my scuba medical, I exercise at the gym, I'm active, I have normal blood and urine results across the board. I don't have any complications.
The only concession I make to being a diabetic is maintaining my weight, by not over eating.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Douglas, I'm a confused by your comment. Note that at least 5 of the leading causes of death are diabetes driven - (heart, vascular, dementia, diabetes, and kidney)...

"In 2014, the 10 leading causes of death were, in rank order: Diseases of heart; Malignant neoplasms; Chronic lower respiratory diseases; Accidents (unintentional injuries); Cerebrovascular diseases; Alzheimer’s disease; Diabetes mellitus; Influenza and pneumonia; Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis; and Intentional self-harm (suicide). They accounted for 74% of all deaths occurring in the United States." https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_05.pdf

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Douglas, it's good that you're so physically active. As for having glucose levels within the normal range, which you consider to be up to 200 mg/dl, that's good. Hopefully, you're only having glucose spikes infrequently and not after most of your meals. I'm fine with testing less often when my glucose levels are below 140 mg/dl most of the time, but as soon as they start climbing, I resume frequent testing.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really feel that it is time that diabetes.co.uk was divided up - the pro low carbers and the anti low carbers. Those who are trying to learn how to do low carb, practical hints and trips, motivational success stories, and there are hundreds or thousands of them about, must surely be confused and dismayed by all of this in-fighting. I probably post less than I otherwise would because of personal vitriolic attacks by a few individuals on this forum. Those who fully support and advocate the 'traditional management' of diabetes and especially T2 diabetes maybe should consider finding a comfortable home in diabetes.org.uk. rather than spending their lives being argumentative and difficult with other people who are trying to give genuine honest advice, based on experience, to new-comers and those eager to learn about the huge benefits of LCHF.

Reactions: Ultramum

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, I'm a confused by your comment. Note that at least 5 of the leading causes of death are diabetes driven - (heart, vascular, dementia, diabetes, and kidney)...

"In 2014, the 10 leading causes of death were, in rank order: Diseases of heart; Malignant neoplasms; Chronic lower respiratory diseases; Accidents (unintentional injuries); Cerebrovascular diseases; Alzheimer’s disease; Diabetes mellitus; Influenza and pneumonia; Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis; and Intentional self-harm (suicide). They accounted for 74% of all deaths occurring in the United States." https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_05.pdf

I would say the jury is out on the major causes, many believe cholesterol is a major contributor, and saturated fats.
Having said that, junk food is a major cause of health issues, and that is a fairly recent change to our diet as well.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies @AtkinsMo I do understand that these types of conversations are upsetting. One way to deal with it is to ignore posts by forum members that you don't like. Some people learn by arguing. I'm okay with that.

Reactions: Salvia and Ultramum

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Apologies @AtkinsMo I do understand that these types of conversations are upsetting. One way to deal with it is to ignore posts by forum members that you don't like. Some people learn by arguing. I'm okay with that.

Discussion seems a better word, but then again, we are off topic a bit.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the jury is out on the major causes, many believe cholesterol is a major contributor, and saturated fats.
Having said that, junk food is a major cause of health issues, and that is a fairly recent change to our diet as well.

Well, I agree, junk food is a major contributor to all chronic disease including diabetes, but I'd throw in the sedentary lifestyle too.

The bummer of it all is that now that I'm doing everything right healthwise, I'm not out of the woods yet. It's a part-time job to manage my blood glucose levels, [and I worry about having a heart attack].

I'm not convinced that cholesterol and saturated fat is a problem for otherwise healthy individuals, that's why I encourage everyone to regularly have lab work done to track their health markers. I'm planning on getting a calcium scan [of my heart] this year to give me a baseline measurement so I can check it again in 1 to 2 years.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, I agree, junk food is a major contributor to all chronic disease including diabetes, but I'd throw in the sedentary lifestyle too.

The bummer of it all is that now that I'm doing everything right healthwise, I'm not out of the woods yet. It's a part-time job to manage my blood glucose levels.

I'm not convinced that cholesterol and saturated fat is a problem for otherwise healthy individuals, that's why I encourage everyone to regularly have lab work done to track their health markers. I'm planning on getting a calcium scan this year to give me a baseline measurement so I can check it again in 1 to 2 years.

Definitely a sedentary lifestyle, I didn't move anywhere before I was diagnosed. Losing weight and becoming active probably had the most effect on my diabetes.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely a sedentary lifestyle, I didn't move anywhere before I was diagnosed. Losing weight and becoming active probably had the most effect on my diabetes.

I haven't moved any more than before my diagnosis...I simply ate less carbs and more heavenly fats...its definitely the diet that cause mine... :D

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I haven't moved any more than before my diagnosis...I simply ate less carbs and more heavenly fats...its definitely the diet that cause mine... :D

I reckon you could make a fortune from that then.
I've no idea what caused mine, I just got diagnosed as T2 one day.
But like I posted, after that I started testing, and I know what had the biggest effect reversing it for me after I had it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kokhongw I really like and enjoyed reading your blog post... https://myhba1c.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/turning-mountains-into-molehills/ I'm unable to accomplish what you've achieved without regular physical activity.

I'm curious. I have the same A1c as you. I have lots of questions...

Can you give me a general idea of how old you are?

What is a typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
How many carbs a day do you eat?
What are your fasting, pre-meal, and 2 hour post meal glucose levels?

How many hours do you fast between your last meal of the day and your next?

Do you have any other health conditions?

I had an A1c of 9.9% at time of re-diagnosis in 2015, similar to your A1c of 11%, but I had crossed over into type 2 diabetes perhaps 8 to 10 years earlier, need to figure that out again. Did you have any indication that you had diabetes prior to your A1c of 11%?

How much weight did you lose and do you have a normal BMI now?

Do you have glucose spikes that exceed 140 mg/dl? How often and how do you deal with them if you don't engage in physical exercise?

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 - speaking of Dr Kraft, the Diabetes Summit interview is fascinating, especially the evidence from autopsies on Vietnam casualties and younger people with evidence of atherosclerosis years before frank CVD disease becomes evident as MI etc. Makes me even more convinced of the dangers of hyperinsulinemia.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 I was 46 when diagnosed, just about 2 yrs back. And had all the typical symptoms of T2D, extreme thirst, frequent urination, exhaustion, numbness hands and feets, night perspiration, heart palpitation, persistent ulcers, brain fog, skin thickening and darken around the knuckles etc..

Typical day
Breakfast - eggs and cheese
Lunck - roast pork belly or fish/veg
Dinner - roast pork belly or ribeye steak.

When I fast, I typically skip dinner or breakfast. I will eat lunch. So it would be more than 16 hours.

Pre-meal is usually below 6 mmol
Post-meal around 6 mmol, unless I have rice/noodles with the roast pork belly. Then it can spike up to 8 mmol or higher. I keep this to about once a week...on the weekends.

I generally believe in the flawed logic that Jenny Ruhl, Dr Bernstein and Dr Joseph Kraft has regarding normal glucose level and elevated insulin levels...and try to use that as my guide.

When it does goes up higher...I drink raw puer tea which will help bring it back down to 5 mmol or less.
https://myhba1c.wordpress.com/2016/05/23/raw-puer-tea-for-glucose-control/

Weight has remained fairly constant around 74-76 kg. So it is not due to weight loss either.

Fasting BG has been stable around 5.5mmol, closer to 4.5mmol only on extended multiday fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum