1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Phinney and Volek start new online health practise

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by bulkbiker, Mar 8, 2017.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you checked out any of Zoe Harcombe's work on that issue?
    The video I posted from Low Carb Breckenridge had a pretty damning indictment of the diet-heart hypothesis.. but maybe a mere PHD isn't qualified enough to satisfy your exacting standards..
    I would repost the link for you but you probably wouldn't watch it anyway...oh yes also the Ex-president of the World Heart Federation said much the same..but hey what does he know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@bulkbiker I'd appreciate a reposting of Zoe Harcombe, Ph.D.'s lecture. I thought it was within this topic, but appears not. I think it belongs here too. I believe it's the best overview to date of the evidence. And it really helped that she made her points very concisely and at a slower pace. Still struggled to keep up, but it was doable. I really need to start a library of my favorite lectures. I'd put this one in my top ten. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bulkbiker

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Winnie53

Wow, I am really impressed with the tight control you're maintaining. I remember reading about the puer tea here on the forum. It's interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share your methods, experiences, and results. I've recommitted to doing the ketogenic diet for the purpose of losing more weight. Curious as to whether or not it improve my glucose levels. Time will tell.

Will share your blog post with my diabetes group. I enjoy your writing style. :)

5. Winnie53

Thank you bulkbiker. It's an excellent lecture. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You said your diet caused your diabetes, I don't think you'd sell many pills.
    I reckon my lifestyle caused mine.

7. douglas99

Yes, I'm a fan of pu'er tea. Still contains caffeine though, so I tend not to drink it at night.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Winnie53 Glad that you enjoyed my blog post. Hopefully some of them will find something useful from it...

• Like Like x 1
  9. kokhongw

Maybe if the pill says "to be taken with roast pork belly only and no exercise" there may be takers...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #89 kokhongw, Mar 21, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. douglas99

Sadly, it would probably be amazingly popular.
    Particularly if it came with a free couch and tv.
    Like I said, that's what got me to T2.

11. serenity648

serenity648 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me to. I have ME and exercise is just not going to happen, but my Blood sugar levels have been good for months since also ate less carbs and more fats.

• Like Like x 1
  12. serenity648

serenity648 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sincerely Douglas, why do you refuse to believe people when they say they have problems with their HCP's, or that they control their diabetes through diet only? or anything else which conflicts with your personal experience? You have said elsewhere that you have only your surgery checkups, so you have no way of knowing what the current or weekly state of your diabetes is, or your spikes.

And I find your comment about couches and TV's insulting. People on here, who are commenting, are not being lazy or, by that inference, bringing their diabetes on themselves.

13. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good to see they're getting some mainstream (The Doctors) coverage:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. kokhongw

They are having really promising results.
    http://blog.virtahealth.com/type-2-diabetes-can-be-reversed/

I found it interesting that Sami Inkinen is a Triathlon world champion who developed prediabetes...so he couldn't really eat less and move more...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #94 kokhongw, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. kokhongw

Virta has just released a series of success stories with the program...here is one of them...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Winnie53

Wow @kokhongw I clicked on the YouTube icon and listened to all the testimonials. Your timing couldn't have been more perfect.

An old acquaintance called tonight. She'd been in the hospital for a week with a life threatening infection. She's very lucky to have survived. Nothing she was telling me made sense until she shared that they were injecting her with insulin in the hospital. I pressed her for a number. She said they'd mentioned today that her most recent glucose level was 179 mg/dL, which is a bit concerning given that she hasn't resumed eating yet. She's still sleeping a lot. Going to send her a link to these testimonials. We're going to get together this weekend to discuss what she can do to begin managing her diabetes.

What I love about these videos is that anyone can get the support they need to do what these people have accomplished, right here, and the best part? It's free. :)

• Like Like x 1
    #96 Winnie53, May 31, 2017 at 3:44 AM
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  17. kokhongw

@Winnie53 Wish your friend speedy recovery!

Yes, what Virta's team is doing is largely similar to what has often been shared here.

Hopefully their model will prove to be scalable and that the success we have experienced and seen here is not simply anecdotal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, this is an awesome venture. I hope it works (and why wouldn't it) and that the World takes notice and discovers that drugs aren't the answer, but proper nutrition, and the death-knell of the lies about our current nutritional guidelines.

Sami Inkinen, and his wife Meredith, are legends in doing Keto. Rowing across the Pacific from California to Hawaii on high-fat no/low carb food. Amazing.

@bulkbiker, your sig says you went from 143kg to an amazing 103kg doing low carb. Were you on Insulin when you did this, and if so how were you able to lose the fat and take insulin? I'm struggling to lose the fat even though I've been in ketosis for about 2 months.

19. bulkbiker

No I wasn't on anything after 3 weeks spent on the loo with metformin. Just did extreme low carb (ketogenic diet) combined with intermittent then extended fasting. Currently weight sits at 96.7 kg with the ultimate aim to get to 89kg (14 st).
    These days I try to eat one meal a day( usually dinner) with tea and coffee during the day. Have a crappy cold this week but seem to have broken another plateau and am my lightest in 35 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow. Awesome. I just need to cut more.
    Currently my breakfast to lunch is bulletproof coffee. Lunch is along the lines of a simple leafy salad with a little ham. And dinner is usual fare, meat and veg.

I still need to take insulin though, which is where my problem lies.

Sorry this went off topic.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook