Pigs and Pancreas.

C

catherinecherub

A genetically modified strain of pigs are to be used for research into diagnosis and therapy for Type 2 diabetics.
"The pig is a particularly suitable model because it's metabolism and psychology closely resembles our own".
"Up until a few decades ago, this disease which remains incurable, was largely confined to the elderly but it has since become more prevelant amongst young adults, adolescents and even children".

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 022610.php

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Catherine :)

I think you must have a mine full of ‘discussion starters’ and they are all wildly different!

This one really took my eye and I am particularly tickled by the ‘psychology’ aspect of these particular gm pigs. :shock:

In the article they do say "The physiology of the pig is actually very similar to that of humans" so perhaps it isn’t psychology after all – which I find very disappointing! :D :roll:

All joking aside, any research to help with diabetes is welcome. :D

C

catherinecherub

My mistake, :oops:
Psychology. The science of human and animal behaviour.
Physiology. The biological study of the functions of living organisms and their parts.

To err is human, to forgive divine. Alexander Pope.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Sorry Catherine but it was too hard to resist! It happens to us all so no apologies are necessary. :D

pleonism

no i think she was right, pigs are phychologically smarter than alot of humans that I know...lol.

interesting thoughts tho

pleo