1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Plantar Orthotics needed!

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by bonerp, Sep 29, 2017.

1. bonerp

bonerp · Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Since fracturing my third metatarsal a few years back (nothing heroic - I jumped off a climbing frame and it cracked - 40 years old and should have known better!), I've suffered heel pain on and off.

Have used various insoles including having a bulky set made by the NHS that don't really fit in normal shoes unless I buy something with velcro which just isn't going to happen!

So can you recommend any orthotics that you've found were good? Too many of mine have soft/flexible arches and I've been advised to get ridged supports as the flexible ones don't support a 15 stone / 6ft 1 frame.

My ankles drop inwards and I have a high arch which has pretty much collapsed thanks to a stretched plantar.

I have ordered a pair of corefit self moulding insoles....anyone have good experience of these?

thanks in advance

2. Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty · Well-Known Member

My ex wife suffered from plantar issues. She found a range of shoes called Vionic. They offer excellent support and are not too dowdy looking. She absolutely swears by them. Might be worth some investigation for you :)

3. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had a couple of bouts of plantar fasciitis, caused by walking on hard surfaces for a long time, hence the common name 'policeman's heel'. The first time it lasted over a year, the second time about a month. The solution is complete rest, just keep off it! My commiserations; it is very painful.

4. bonerp

thanks I currently have a pair of Telic but as they are rubber they seems to break easily which is a shame as they are excellent. Will take a look ty

5. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do you do the exercises? I have had this a couple of times and its painful, but the exercises certainly helped.

6. bonerp

Yeah but I'm not sure the stretching is helping as it's been getting worse.
    I've received a pair of corefit orthotics so will see how I get on with those. Doc says the tissues need to rest and recover. The support will provide that.

7. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I see. You have my sympathy cos it really hurts. I used to find walking after being in the car for a while was the worst. Good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook