Please help ..How many carbs per meal lchf diet are you eating?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in the eating window you advocate, what are the benefits? I have never been a creature of habit and mostly eat twice a day (it was the grazing that I was doing before dx that imo led to my problems). I eat mid morning and early/mid evening but never by the clock.

From Dr Fung really. When we eat we create an insulin response.. by eating within a limited window we don't create the response so often. For a poor exhausted Type 2 body with insulin resistance the less insulin response you can trigger the better. So only eating once or twice a day and eating very low carb means that your insulin response is less. Less fat is stored and your body uses its reserves to function. That's why the eat three carb based meals per day with snacks in between is such appalling advice for Type 2's. Eating one or two meals a day within a limited 6-8 hour window lets your body use some of its fat to run itself hence also assisting weight loss. That's why I credit intermittent fasting alongside ULCHF as the reason I have my Type 2 under control.

Reactions: meandmaboy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in the eating window you advocate, what are the benefits? I have never been a creature of habit and mostly eat twice a day (it was the grazing that I was doing before dx that imo led to my problems). I eat mid morning and early/mid evening but never by the clock.

I eat in a 6 hour window by default. I stopped eating food at breakfast late last year, just a coffee with cream within 10 minutes of getting up.

Evening meals are around a 7pm start, then next meal is lunch the next day at about 1-15 or thereabouts. I usually have a cup of tea mid morning. I noticed an immediate benefit as my pre-lunch levels dropped significantly and have continued at this level since. I also saw a good drop in a mid morning level ( 2 hours after my coffee) and still do. It works for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Bluetit1802 and @bulkbiker I will have a go at this as my issues with hunger seems to have subsided a lot (with perseverance).

A cup of tea stops my hunger - and I do drink a lot of water throughout the day. (This helps with the exercise having to visit the loo more frequently!!) But as I've never been a grazer and rarely snacked, I don't honestly feel hungry most of the time. It must be much more difficult for you.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A cuof tea stops my hunger - and I do drink a lot of water throughout the day. (This helps with the exercise having to visit the loo more frequently!!) But as I've never been a grazer and rarely snacked, I don't honestly feel hungry most of the time. It must be much more difficult for you.
I was talking it over this morning. Lately I have thought 'oh Im hungry' but when I have really thought about it I wasn't hungry at all, I wanted to graze. This was a bit of an epiphany and has made it so much easier to ignore. It was hunger at first but I suspect that my body was screaming for the carbs I was addicted to.
Things are getting easier as time passes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was talking it over this morning. Lately I have thought 'oh Im hungry' but when I have really thought about it I wasn't hungry at all, I wanted to graze. This was a bit of an epiphany and has made it so much easier to ignore. It was hunger at first but I suspect that my body was screaming for the carbs I was addicted to.
Things are getting easier as time passes.

Yes, it is a habit. Watching TV in the evenings and reaching for some crisps or making a slice of toast or two is just habit. But it's hard to conquer habits, too!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
To answer the OPs question, I am aiming for <50g carbs per day and generally do that easily even reaching 20g per day on occasion and I hope to achieve roughly 25g per day long term.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From Dr Fung really. When we eat we create an insulin response.. by eating within a limited window we don't create the response so often. For a poor exhausted Type 2 body with insulin resistance the less insulin response you can trigger the better. So only eating once or twice a day and eating very low carb means that your insulin response is less. Less fat is stored and your body uses its reserves to function. That's why the eat three carb based meals per day with snacks in between is such appalling advice for Type 2's. Eating one or two meals a day within a limited 6-8 hour window lets your body use some of its fat to run itself hence also assisting weight loss. That's why I credit intermittent fasting alongside ULCHF as the reason I have my Type 2 under control.
So in your opinion, or Dr Fung, is there any reason an insulin dependent person should not eat 4-5 small meals a day using small doses of insulin? When I first started insulin I was eating 3 larger meals a day and took shed loads more insulin but I was always hungry and yo yoing. Eating smaller vlc meals allows me to take much less insulin daily and I'm not hungry.
Tried fasting twice ( did wonders when I was type 2, 5 hour window) but now it doesn't work. The first time was intentional to see when insulin started coming in and lowering me. It never happened until I ate after 1. Just injected more than a days worth within that time. Second time was last week for fasting blood work. Took insulin, went and had it done, ( less than an hour including travel) and popped way up.
Back to the question. Do you see anything wrong with a T1 eating more often if it allows less total insulin per day??? I seem to need insulin every 2-3 hours even if I do t eat as I have no basal left

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi not wishing to be picky but with the discount code 10 boxes of strips cost £58.98 once you get to the checkout providing you have ticked the no vat box.
Hi @bulkbiker ..
Thanks for picking that up .. the correct codes and costs for the SD Codefree test strips are ..
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

S

serenity648

Hi @bulkbiker ..
Thanks for picking that up .. the correct codes and costs for the SD Codefree test strips are ..
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
I know I am being thick, please bear with me: where do you put the code when ordering? I click on the produce, click on how many strips I want, then it goes straight to the order form for me to checkout.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So in your opinion, or Dr Fung, is there any reason an insulin dependent person should not eat 4-5 small meals a day using small doses of insulin? When I first started insulin I was eating 3 larger meals a day and took shed loads more insulin but I was always hungry and yo yoing. Eating smaller vlc meals allows me to take much less insulin daily and I'm not hungry.
Tried fasting twice ( did wonders when I was type 2, 5 hour window) but now it doesn't work. The first time was intentional to see when insulin started coming in and lowering me. It never happened until I ate after 1. Just injected more than a days worth within that time. Second time was last week for fasting blood work. Took insulin, went and had it done, ( less than an hour including travel) and popped way up.
Back to the question. Do you see anything wrong with a T1 eating more often if it allows less total insulin per day??? I seem to need insulin every 2-3 hours even if I do t eat as I have no basal left
I wouldn't want to give any opinion there as I really have no idea where Dr Fung would stand and I have absolutely no experience of insulin use. I found that intermittent fasting helped me a lot and will probably continue to skip breakfast forever.
Sorry not to be able to help but I just don't know. I'll have a read around some other forums I'm on and see if I can find anything for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I am being thick, please bear with me: where do you put the code when ordering? I click on the produce, click on how many strips I want, then it goes straight to the order form for me to checkout.
There's a box for discount code once you have the strips in your basket. Click on the basket and you should get this window

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 20.47.08.png

copy the discount code into the coupon code box.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops then hit apply and when you get to the payment page you'll find the discount has been applied.
Hope that helps.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't want to give any opinion there as I really have no idea where Dr Fung would stand and I have absolutely no experience of insulin use. I found that intermittent fasting helped me a lot and will probably continue to skip breakfast forever.
Sorry not to be able to help but I just don't know. I'll have a read around some other forums I'm on and see if I can find anything for you.
Thanks. I didn't know if there was anything in the book. I would Imagine the diet that requires the least amount of insulin would be the better. IMO, low levels of insulin are just important, if not more, than low bs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I didn't know if there was anything in the book. I would Imagine the diet that requires the least amount of insulin would be the better. IMO, low levels of insulin are just important, if not more, than low bs.
It's a while since I read either of his books.. about time for a re-read I guess.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a while since I read either of his books.. about time for a re-read I guess.
Don't bother on my account but thank you so much. Other than this nasty virus bs and small insulin doses are working out. I was more curious. I wish I could fast sometimes. Though I do love food.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Oops then hit apply and when you get to the payment page you'll find the discount has been applied.
Hope that helps.
Thanks @bulkbiker ..
I was still copying the image from the payment page when you posted the same thing .. and @serenity648, I'm glad it worked for you

S

serenity648

Unfortunately the webpage to checkout seems frozen. The page wont go onto payment, so I will try again on Tuesday.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the webpage to checkout seems frozen. The page wont go onto payment, so I will try again on Tuesday.
You could always try ordering by phone (although I guess no-one there until Tuesday)..I think they were quite helpful when I phoned them although can't remember what it was about...