Please help ..How many carbs per meal lchf diet are you eating?

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So in your opinion, or Dr Fung, is there any reason an insulin dependent person should not eat 4-5 small meals a day using small doses of insulin? When I first started insulin I was eating 3 larger meals a day and took shed loads more insulin but I was always hungry and yo yoing. Eating smaller vlc meals allows me to take much less insulin daily and I'm not hungry.
Tried fasting twice ( did wonders when I was type 2, 5 hour window) but now it doesn't work. The first time was intentional to see when insulin started coming in and lowering me. It never happened until I ate after 1. Just injected more than a days worth within that time. Second time was last week for fasting blood work. Took insulin, went and had it done, ( less than an hour including travel) and popped way up.
Back to the question. Do you see anything wrong with a T1 eating more often if it allows less total insulin per day??? I seem to need insulin every 2-3 hours even if I do t eat as I have no basal left
Highly recommend you read Richard Bernstein-Diabetes Solution- he is T1 - a pioneer of personal BG testing and covers this topic in the book reference effective ways for T1 to keep insulin levels low - you are very correct in stating its as important ( if not more ) than controlling BG levels - in fact, the reason to keep BG low, is because it keeps insulin levels low, insulin is the villain in most metabolic challenges.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I
Highly recommend you read Richard Bernstein-Diabetes Solution- he is T1 - a pioneer of personal BG testing and covers this topic in the book reference effective ways for T1 to keep insulin levels low - you are very correct in stating its as important ( if not more ) than controlling BG levels - in fact, the reason to keep BG low, is because it keeps insulin levels low, insulin is the villain in most metabolic challenges.
thanks. I read it when I was type 2 and skipped the type 1 part as it didn't apply. Then when I became LADA I read the type 1 part. I very much follow the 'laws of small numbers'. I'm never too far off from my goals.

I prefer his book well over think like a pancreas. Dr Ron Rosedale ( the Rosedale diet book) is similar in keeping insulin and lepton levels low. This is where I first heard of MODERATING protein which was a key to keeping my insulin/ bs low.

Reactions: kimlala

kimlala

From Dr Fung really. When we eat we create an insulin response.. by eating within a limited window we don't create the response so often. For a poor exhausted Type 2 body with insulin resistance the less insulin response you can trigger the better. So only eating once or twice a day and eating very low carb means that your insulin response is less. Less fat is stored and your body uses its reserves to function. That's why the eat three carb based meals per day with snacks in between is such appalling advice for Type 2's. Eating one or two meals a day within a limited 6-8 hour window lets your body use some of its fat to run itself hence also assisting weight loss. That's why I credit intermittent fasting alongside ULCHF as the reason I have my Type 2 under control.
I also find eating 1-2 meals a day helps keep my insulin intake low (I am a Type 1). Dr. Fung provides excellent info. on his site. Another interesting researcher in fasting is, Valter Longo.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also find eating 1-2 meals a day helps keep my insulin intake low (I am a Type 1). Dr. Fung provides excellent info. on his site. Another interesting researcher in fasting is, Valter Longo.
Don't you rise in the morning without eating worse than if you do eat?

kimlala

Highly recommend you read Richard Bernstein-Diabetes Solution- he is T1 - a pioneer of personal BG testing and covers this topic in the book reference effective ways for T1 to keep insulin levels low - you are very correct in stating its as important ( if not more ) than controlling BG levels - in fact, the reason to keep BG low, is because it keeps insulin levels low, insulin is the villain in most metabolic challenges.[/QUOTE
I

thanks. I read it when I was type 2 and skipped the type 1 part as it didn't apply. Then when I became LADA I read the type 1 part. I very much follow the 'laws of small numbers'. I'm never too far off from my goals.

I prefer his book well over think like a pancreas. Dr Ron Rosedale ( the Rosedale diet book) is similar in keeping insulin and lepton levels low. This is where I first heard of MODERATING protein which was a key to keeping my insulin/ bs low.
Dr. Bernstein's book changed my life. Simply stated and easy to follow.
Don't you rise in the morning without eating worse than if you do eat?
I have been working on catching DP, and have had success with it taking 5 units of Levemir, and blousing 1 unit of Novolog (usually around 4:30 am). However, this is just the time I get up. I never eat in mornings (my whole life) just coffee and cream. Also, I run in the morning and eating something before work-out makes me sick to my stomach. When I am done working-out, I am usually at a 78.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I have been working on catching DP, and have had success with it taking 5 units of Levemir, and blousing 1 unit of Novolog (usually around 4:30 am). However, this is just the time I get up. I never eat in mornings (my whole life) just coffee and cream. Also, I run in the morning and eating something before work-out makes me sick to my stomach. When I am done working-out, I am usually at a 78.

Hi. Interesting thread here. I find if I don't eat something first thing in the morning my blood sugar levels keep rising.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Interesting thread here. I find if I don't eat something first thing in the morning my blood sugar levels keep rising.

Mine used to, but cream in a coffee within 10 minutes of getting up stopped it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did try waking up at 5:30 and taking a bolus and it did stop the DP but then I had a hard time gettting back to sleep. Now IF I wake up around then I'll test and decide but I'm not setting another alarm!!! Lol. At least I know the rise is only a few hours and I bring it down when I eat.
If I don't eat and still take insulin it does absolutely nothing. I have to eat. I could easily skip lunch but I don't because I like it and I don't want to lose weight. I don't eat a lot to begin with.
You're up much too early girl!!!

Reactions: Chook

joanne147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did try waking up at 5:30 and taking a bolus and it did stop the DP but then I had a hard time gettting back to sleep. Now IF I wake up around then I'll test and decide but I'm not setting another alarm!!! Lol. At least I know the rise is only a few hours and I bring it down when I eat.
If I don't eat and still take insulin it does absolutely nothing. I have to eat. I could easily skip lunch but I don't because I like it and I don't want to lose weight. I don't eat a lot to begin with.
You're up much too early girl!!!
Hi have read all your posts thanks so much for replying to me really appreciate it Jo:)

joanne147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi kimlala. Thanks for all your posts ..I used to run in my 20's still miss it.. I have been putting of exercise for so long..thanks for the inspiration Jo:)

Reactions: hankjam

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found this all very helpful and interesting! My problem with diet is that I'm vegetarian and I've never liked fat! I was buying low fat cheese - should I be buying full fat? Also, porridge. That's how I start my day and is what the DN said was okay. What about milk? I buy semi-skimmed milk and use 50/50 milk and water for the porridge. Still trying to get my carbs down but have some processed food in the freezer from before I was diagnosed and I'm loathe to just bin it!! I love eggs so am eating eggs happily (scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes is good). The DN said to eat fruits that grow in this country like apples, pears, berries. Does that mean I shouldn't eat pears and apples grown overseas? Sorry for the list of questions! I hope someone can help!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this all very helpful and interesting! My problem with diet is that I'm vegetarian and I've never liked fat! I was buying low fat cheese - should I be buying full fat? Also, porridge. That's how I start my day and is what the DN said was okay. What about milk? I buy semi-skimmed milk and use 50/50 milk and water for the porridge. Still trying to get my carbs down but have some processed food in the freezer from before I was diagnosed and I'm loathe to just bin it!! I love eggs so am eating eggs happily (scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes is good). The DN said to eat fruits that grow in this country like apples, pears, berries. Does that mean I shouldn't eat pears and apples grown overseas? Sorry for the list of questions! I hope someone can help!

You will have to use your meter to tell you what you can eat - everyone is different. Most of us can't manage porridge. Milk is difficult. The DN means any fruits that grow naturally in this country - so pears and apples are something you can try. What are difficult are tropical fruits like bananas, grapes, oranges and so on. Personally, I wouldn't touch any low fat product. I eat cheese, butter, full fat yogurts etc. I do have a dash of skimmed milk in tea as I hate it creamy.

Use your meter and test, test, test. Experiment. It is all trial and error.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Rereading these threads has helped reinforce the lessons that I have learned so far. Eating to your meter will throw up some really surprising results sometimes, low carb foods for one person will be fine but for another person will show a spike. We are on a learning curve and your glucose tear is a useful tool in that learning. Start with the basics, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. As time goes on you can experiment with, for instance, new potatoes, high protein/low carb breads and one fruit that *for me* is fine in small measure is apricot. Things get easier as time passes and the pleasing thing for me was finding new foods that I had never had before (I was actually just curious about Brie the other day so I got some and found it quite nice).
Your body and your meter will educate your food choices, that is how I look at it. Enjoy.

Reactions: serenity648

joanne147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone thanks for all your detailed and kind advice. I was with my DN who told me in no uncertain terms that I should follow low fat diet. I told her about lchf diet and was told that I am on the course for amputation and blindness, she left the room spoke to a doctor came back in and apologised for being abrupt and repeated that I needed a balanced diet with carbohydrates fruit veg and that to much protein would damage my kidneys ..she then asked me where I got my info and I told her about this forum her response was its your life. I was there for repeat bloods was able to not cry until out of surgery but I couldn't believe how blinkered vision this nurse has. It however has had the opposite affect in that I went straight away bought a soup maker and have been making amazing cream of mushroom soup and following lchf diet that you all advise. I hope when I go back my bloods are down so I can prove to her that this works. It's took me a week to post this as I still upset but if it helps me stick to lchf then it's been good. Just wanted to share in case others come across negativity. Jo:)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@joanne147 what a negative approach your DN has but, unfortunately, she is not alone. You need to do what is best for you wrt to your health and diabetes management and, as many on this forum can testify, you can have a balanced diet whilst low carbing and eating full, instead of low, fat foods.

Reactions: DavidK59

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@joanne147 - What a horrible thing to have happened. She sounds such a bully. Have you thought about writing a letter to the Practice Manager or phoning him to complain?

*Big hug coming your way*

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What an awful DN. Trust me they are not all like that. Mine purses her lips and stays non commital but I know what she is thinking. I smile knowing I'm a lot slimmer than her too.
Have a look at this link
https://instagram.com/p/BZLTCwdAQ62/
He's a lovely GP in Bristol and so supportive of our way of eating. Young and knowledgable.
X

Reactions: Freema