Please help me - antidepressants and diabates meds

sparklystuff

I'm 24 and have had diabetes since about february this year. I was already on citalopram, an antidepressant for depression/anxiety and have been doing well.

However I've been taking metformin 2 x 500mg for my diabetes type 2 and I've had the stomch side effects, diahhrea each day since starting. I'm feeling depressed and anxious again for no reason and I wonder if it's because the constant diahhrea is having an effect on my antidepressants being absorbed, and also other nurtrients/vitamins etc??

My diabetes isn't good at the moment, right now it's 10.4mnol. I'm going to make an app with my nurse tomorrow but would like any feedback as I can't find anything on the net regarding metformin induced diahhrea affecting other meds etc.

Sarah x

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sarah,
Sorry to hear that you are suffering from depression, it is not a nice place to be.

With regard to the metformin, there is a slow release one available that peeps here seem to find does not cause the diarrhea that you are experiencing. It maybe the way forward for you.
You mention a valid point about your lack of nutrients and absorption of your other medication being attributable to the diarrhea and how it maybe affecting your overall health.There are lots of people who find that stress causes diarrhoea so it could be a vicious circle.
Hope this helps and am sure others will offer their advice.

C

catherinecherub

Just had another thought Sarah. :wink:
You do not say how long you have been on Citalopram or if it is working for you now. It takes as long as 6 weeks to get into your system before it works. I hope it is still working for you and you need to discuss with a professional if you feel that it isn't anymore..
Depending on your answer, you could ask to be changed to another as sometimes, repeat sometimes, antidepressants can cause high blood sugars. This type of medication is not something you can mess about with yourself so you need to discuss it.
Your Dr. may have decided that the benefits of the Citalopram far outweigh the rise in blood sugars for you at this time.

sparklystuff

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I also feel very tired, my skin and hair etc don't feel lush like they did so I've been taking multi vitamins and berroca etc. I know they say it's extremely bad when girls use laxatives to lose weight, and having a constant bad stomach is like the same thing.

I'll book an appointment with my nurse/gp tomorrow with my concerns, I have been on citalopram for about 2 years and found I felt nearly completely normal most of the time. I'm certain my depression/anxiety is biological/chemical rather than caused by 'real' problems/worries as I am very content with my life, I have everything I could wish for yet at times like this it's terryfying and a big depression with no reason to feel it

Thank you xx