Please help

Kirstyb813

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I am newly diagnosed and I am so confused. I have Type 2
I had a blood test in my NHS heath check and my reading was 20
I then had a fasting blood test and the reading was 78
I am not to sure what these mean but I know that it is too high.
I had a telephone call with my Doctor and he has put me on tablets and a referral to the Type 2 Diabetes Group Education but my appointment is not until 8th MARCH 2018.
My doctor has told me to loss weight and exercise more but I am not sure what to do ???????
I am just feeling so cross
thanks for your help

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I had a telephone call with my Doctor and he has put me on tablets and a referral to the Type 2 Diabetes Group Education but my appointment is not until 8th MARCH 2018.
My doctor has told me to loss weight and exercise more but I am not sure what to do ???????
thanks for your help
Hello, @Kirstyb813 and welcome.

It is a shock to be diagnosed, but you have come to the right place.
I am tagging @daisy1 who provides info to new members. There is also some information in the signature at the end of my post. Have a read, ask questions. Lots of people here will offer help and advice.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kirsty,
Please don't worry , yes its a shock to be diagnosed, but it you follow the healthy eating guidelines in here,- look at the low carb program, then it likely that you will b able to join many of the rest of us with a health future :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome! I'm over four months from diagnosis. Once I was over the initial shock, I saw it as the proverbial kick up the bum to get healthier. I was started on Metformin and tolerate it well now after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style with self monitoring. It's worked for me, to date I've lost over three and a half stone and got my HbA1c blood test result down to a non diabetic level, all due to the advise I got here.
Read, read and read again posts on this forum and ask any questions you have. There’s a wealth of info and advice to be found here, with determination you can control this.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Try to Relax and breath, you are in good company. Diagnosis is a shock to all of us but you can now learn all about the condition so that you can make informed decisions about your own well being. First piece of advice is to read around the forum and ask questions. Secondly, get yourself a blood glucose meter, it will teach you about how your body reacts to different foods, it's a great piece of kit. And lastly, you must take the initiative and take control. Good luck.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Kirstyb813 .. and welcome
I was diagnosed T2 in early Feb and, like you and many others, I was a bit shell-shocked with little information and no real idea of what was happening to me. That said, you have certainly made a good move coming here .. since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

The key point to take on board now is that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @Pipp has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the valuable information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you are given one by your Doc or Nursie (unlikely), it is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
thanks for your help

Hi and welcome,

First of all, don't panic. You are in the right place for all the help and support you need.

Next, you need to learn what all these tests and numbers mean. The first thing to do is contact your surgery and ask for a print out of your blood test results. These will tell you a lot, and anything you don't understand, just ask. These print outs are important because from now on you will be having regular blood tests and you need to understand what they mean, and whether or not you are improving. (If you are in England you could also ask if your surgery puts test results on line as they are supposed to do, and how to register for this)

It looks like the reading of 20 on your NHS health check was your blood glucose level at the time the test was done (a snapshot if you like) and it would be 20mmol/l. This is high.
The fasting blood test of 78 would be what is called an HbA1c test and is the test that is used to diagnose diabetes. It will be 78mmol/mol. It is a clever test that averages your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. It is the same as having an average blood sugar level of 12.2mmol/l over that 2 to 3 month period.

These are the ranges for the HbA1c test

Under 42mmol/mol = non-diabetic
42 to 47mmol/mol = pre-diabetic
48mmol/mol or more = diabetic

Have a good read round, and ask any questions you like.

Reactions: Butterfly1960

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kirstyb813

Hello Kirsty and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone here will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kirstyb813 and welcome. Being diagnosed will no doubt have come as a shock as it was to most of us, however you'll soon recover from that and then you'll be able to relax a bit and start learning to manage the condition. Don't panic there's no great rush! A first step is to learn about your own diabetes and Daisy will pop up with some very useful information fairly soon. Another good source of information in a very easily understood format is the book Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan, I found it useful as an initial primer on diabetes and quite handy to dip into since my first reading.
Once you've gained a basic understanding of the condition you'll be in a better position to decide how you wish to move forward and act to manage your own diabetes - and it is important to realise that you can manage and improve the state of your blood glucose levels. As has been suggested already, testing your own blood glucose levels is considered important by many folk. Self testing will provide you with very useful data about how your lifestyle and any associated changes you make influence your blood sugars. And very importantly will provide you with positive feedback and let you see the progress you are making.
Best wishes - Dave

stayingalive

While you're absorbing all the information, just add in an extra walk every day, preferably after a meal/meals. It makes a huge difference to blood sugar, and I've heard a lot of other people with diabetes say so too. Any exercise is good of course, its just that walking is low impact on the knees etc and gets you out, and costs nothing (although you might need a raincoat!). Good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With any luck by the time you go to be 'educated' you will have suppressed all symptoms of diabetes and got normal readings again.
Be prepared for some rather indignant educators. My doctor hasn't spoken to me since diagnosis. I was able to lower my blood glucose levels so much that I would not be considered diabetic without knowledge of previous results.
I have stopped eating high carb foods, and in the process lost weight without trying. I feel a lot better.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
thanks for your help

Hi Kirsty.

As others have said, a diabetes diagnosis can be both a surprise and also a shock. I was diagnosed in a broadly similar way to you, so I empathise with you.

For most T2s diet is important to how we manage our diabetes, but I think it's useful to do that, based on your own experience, as we are all different in terms of how specific foods or way of eating impacts us and our blood sugars.

For me, at diagnosis, the best thing I did was to buy a blood glucose testing meter, so that I could receive immediate feedback on what was happening to my numbers as I went along, rather than be reliant on trusting what helped anyone else. An often coined phrase for this is "eating to your meter".

If your Doctor hasn't provided you with testing kit (and most T2s aren't), then I see AM1874 has already posted some suggestions for for very competitively priced ones in his post. If you are comparing prices, then please give a fair amount of weight to the cost of strips, as they are the consumables and the costs can tot up in the early days and weeks.

In terms of exercise, even small changes can be really helpful, like parking further from the supermarket entrance, or getting off the bus a stop earlier than usual. It doesn't have to be joining a gym and going every day.

Good luck with it all. It's a steep learning curve, but it isn't insurmountable.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi,
thanks for your help

Hi. Lots of very good advice above.

What worked for me...
Using a meter to test my blood sugar any time I want;
Keeping a record of what I ate...and when...and what my readings were before and after eating;
Avoiding high carb foods particularly bread, cereal, spuds and pasta.
I don't take meds for it; I manage my blood sugar pretty well purely through diet.
Absolutely achievable. Good luck.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. It really is the pits, isn't it? I was diagnosed on 29th june this year. My course, which apparently will tell me all I need to know, is in February. I didnt want to wait that long!

Have agood read of this site. Have alook at peoples signatures and you will see that lots of us had numbers like you in the beginning. Above all, dont panic and remember that you can do something about this for.yourself.

Keep in touch.

Reactions: Guzzler

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
thanks for your help
Good morning @Kirstyb813 :)
I too was diagnosed in March this year type 2:nailbiting: :(
I was in shock and denial at 1st o_O:rolleyes:
Luckily for me, at my local surgery, my Diabetes Nurse is also Diabetic (20+ years):angelic::nurse:
It was she who pulled me together, told me to control my carbohydrates (under 100g per day) and join the forum :joyful:
I'm so grateful to her! :nurse::angelic: I've found the forum and the Low Carb program to be very beneficial :happy:
I know it's a lot to take in at 1st.... but stick at it, as best as you can, and things will improve for you! :):cat:
I've read thru the other posts from other members.... yes, I agree with all they say :cool:
Unfortunately our NHS is under a lot of strain, so as Type 2s we don't qualify for the free Blood Glucose testing kits:meh:
but they are easily and quite cheaply available :) I found mine (SD Codefree ) on Amazon, and to save a little bit, I buy test strips and lancets in bulk (£20.99 for 3 x 50 packs of test strips) :cat: shop around for the best deals!:greedy::wideyed:
Wishing you all the best :cat:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Welcome! I'm over four months from diagnosis. Once I was over the initial shock, I saw it as the proverbial kick up the bum to get healthier. I was started on Metformin and tolerate it well now after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style with self monitoring. It's worked for me, to date I've lost over three and a half stone and got my HbA1c blood test result down to a non diabetic level, all due to the advise I got here.
Read, read and read again posts on this forum and ask any questions you have. There’s a wealth of info and advice to be found here, with determination you can control this.

Hi @Rachox . I've obviously seen a few of your posts/replies so far and related to them...but I just looked at your signature and the progress you have made in HbA1c results over just a handful of months and wanted you to know how impressive I think that is. Well done.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Good morning @Kirstyb813 :)
I too was diagnosed in March this year type 2:nailbiting: :(
I was in shock and denial at 1st o_O:rolleyes:
Luckily for me, at my local surgery, my Diabetes Nurse is also Diabetic (20+ years):angelic::nurse:
It was she who pulled me together, told me to control my carbohydrates (under 100g per day) and join the forum :joyful:
I'm so grateful to her! :nurse::angelic: I've found the forum and the Low Carb program to be very beneficial :happy:
I know it's a lot to take in at 1st.... but stick at it, as best as you can, and things will improve for you! :):cat:
I've read thru the other posts from other members.... yes, I agree with all they say :cool:
Unfortunately our NHS is under a lot of strain, so as Type 2s we don't qualify for the free Blood Glucose testing kits:meh:
but they are easily and quite cheaply available :) I found mine (SD Codefree ) on Amazon, and to save a little bit, I buy test strips and lancets in bulk (£20.99 for 3 x 50 packs of test strips) :cat: shop around for the best deals!:greedy::wideyed:
Wishing you all the best :cat:

Hi. Nice post. I just wanted to say that I am always cheered by your hieroglyphic style. :hilarious:

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome, lots of good advice above, take your time, have a read around, ask as many questions as you want and do what's best for you. X

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rachox . I've obviously seen a few of your posts/replies so far and related to them...but I just looked at your signature and the progress you have made in HbA1c results over just a handful of months and wanted you to know how impressive I think that is. Well done.
Thank you so much for your kind comment, yes I’m pretty chuffed myself :happy: