Please sign my petition - it could make your life easier!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have made it clear that you think this is not a good idea, but saying 'anyone' can see that implies everyone has the same opinions as you. Also, you are a Type 2 diabetic so I'm sorry, but you can't even begin to comprehend what Type 1s have to go through with carb counting and injecting. Surely anyone can see that.
Actually I do know as my son is T1. He works away from home all the week so stays at hotels and the like so during that time his meals have to be eaten out dining with business contacts or alone but he manages alright . I just do not think that what you are asking for is workable as others have pointed out there would so many problems and implications for all eateries to be able to do that and even if they did how often would they keep it up to date meals cooked fresh by chefs will vary from day to day in the carbs so would you trust what it said.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Maybe if we name restaurants that do on here...you always these days have an opportunity to do an online survey and you could put chose this restaurant today as I was told you showed carb count which as a diabetic is vital to me. For those that don't you say I was disappointed that you don't show carb info and as its vital for me as a diabetic then I won't be dining with you again until this information is available as many of your rivals already provide this. When I review on Google or trip advisor you can also add showed carb info or didn't or was inaccurate.
very simple. Wetherspoons do. It is safe to go to Wetherspoons. A local family run cafe do me a cheese omelette and cosmo suggest stuff and cook me something to order. Full stop. Take a picnic if I cannot go to those places. So sorry carbs are so very very much more difficult to calculate than calories, nuts and gluten free and certain members on this site have such a major problem understanding that people in different circumstances to them have different needs. BTW the survey mentions the needs of T2 at the end.
I really do not want to waste neurons on the sort of places that find it too difficult to calculate the carbs and at the sametime cannot do a cheese omelette. Presumably they are also exempt from identifying all aspects of the food ingredients on the menu and that is why the casual staff go into such a panic if asked anything as soon as they realise the chef is, at best, not going to take any notice of them. Try getting items served in an order not approved by the kitchen staff.
Roll on the day when the big restaurant chains ensure every diabetic can get medication meanwhile my choice is very easy. Worsen my condition until I have to take drugs or take control of what I eat myself.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So we already have 3 chains that do this so it does seem that this is available if you check before you go out just as I have to do with the gluten. I won't say it isn't annoying to have to put the effort in however at least with carbs you need an amount. With gluten I often find whole chains that think one salad is good enough for a gluten free menu and then try to add croutons...

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Guys,

Please sign this petition about carb info being displayed at all restaurants and cafes in the United Kingdom to help diabetics with carb counting.

http://bit.ly/2wEWUae
That's a really good idea - Back in June I was at the Ottawa Canada airport and grabbed a snack once I got thru security at Tim Hortons. They had a carb count of all of their food items and it was quite fascinating to see just how many carbs some of these seemingly "not bad" items had. Unfortunately in Canada this falls under provincial/state jurisdiction so not all regions of the country are obligated to do it however - I made a mental note of some of the items and there's only a couple of things I can safely eat from that coffee shop franchise.
Considering the obesity rates in the western world I really think it's vital that all places do it. Give a person the knowledge to make an informed choice - some actually will.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I do know as my son is T1. He works away from home all the week so stays at hotels and the like so during that time his meals have to be eaten out dining with business contacts or alone but he manages alright . I just do not think that what you are asking for is workable as others have pointed out there would so many problems and implications for all eateries to be able to do that and even if they did how often would they keep it up to date meals cooked fresh by chefs will vary from day to day in the carbs so would you trust what it said.
Your son is fortunate enough to be able to manage his blood sugars when he eats out, which is pleasing to hear. However, every Type 1 is an individual, therefore has different obstacles. For instance, I have been Type 1 for 21 years and struggle to keep my blood sugars within the target range, especially when eating out, therefore this information would be invaluable to someone like me. Also, parents would benefit from it if they have a young diabetic child. As for the issue of carbs related to portions, don't you think that as a consumer we should get what we pay for. For instance, I wouldn't expect to pay the same amount for a portion of chips that varies from one day to the next. I have experienced differences in portion size, but this should not happen in an ideal world. Maybe it would be easier to implement this idea in larger chains as others have mentioned, but it is not impossible.