Podiatrist

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks
Well despite having been diagnosed a couple of years ago as T2D, today was my first appointment with the podiatrist. It was brilliant. I probably had more information on diabetes management from her than anything I received from my doctor or the diabetes nurse.

As well as getting my feet sorted I learned that my dry skin, callouses and other conditions were all diabetes related! While it all came as a shock, it was also a relief as she gave me clear ways of managing the problems.

All I can say is that if you are ever offered an appointment with a podiatrist grab it with both hands. If you get the same quality care as I received you won't be disappointed!!

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

D

Deleted member 308541

I have gained a lot of good info from the podiatrist I go to as well, I get five free visits a year under a health care plan.

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All I can say is that if you are ever offered an appointment with a podiatrist grab it with both hands. If you get the same quality care as I received you won't be disappointed!!

Couldn't agree more @Welshman1952 Always found them to be very professional and knowledgeable people.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my area, referrals to podiatry have been discontinued, except for those physically unable to look after themselves, or with concerning issues with their feet.

On the upside, there is a private practice, locally, offering free checks to people with diabetes, although any subsequent treatment is chargeable. They will also make urgent referrals (there's a system in place), where necessary.

For those in similar situations, of not having NHS podiatry routinely available, it could be worth checking around locally.

I'm glad you got real benefit from your visit, @Welshman1952 .

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I was referred to a podiatrist who did tests and diagnose my neuropathy.
I went for my second appointment with the podiatrist and all she did was looked over my feet for any cuts etc. That took all of 2 minutes, she didn't, t even touch my feet. Because 8f where I go to see the podiatrist, I need to get a taxi there and back, £22. To me that does not warrant me spending that amount just to have someone to just glance over my feet. I did mention the nerve pain and she replied, see your Dr. I had an appointment for this coming Monday but have cancelled it.
I pay for a foot care health professional to visit me at home for every 2 months, she knows about my diabetes and neuropathy and quite frankly, she does a more in depth work on my feer

Reactions: ringi and Freema