Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries, I stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potato a year ago, against all the advice that I had received up to that point, although to be fair to my present GPs, they never said much, just exceptionally pleased with the result. No more Gliclazide/Januvia/Atorvastatin, I'm saving the NHS a fortune LOL. My experience with the dieting world is that there is so much advice to choose from, a lot of it conflicting. With a resting BMR of 1900 cals most dieticians will advise against going lower than 1400, the traditional 3500 cals less per week. The nutritionists at the Bariatric Surgery unit in High Wycombe wouldn't want me to eat as much as 1200 (not going to have surgery anyway) and the endocrinologist I saw suggested going as low as 800, so my 1000 cals isn't too far off the minimum suggested but certainly lower than most of the advice, which had never worked anyway. I'll get there eventually although this plateau is getting tedious.
According to Zoe Harcombe, the 3500 calories to lose a pound is made up nonsense and nobody can point to the research that proves it:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/06/the-calorie-theory-prove-it-or-lose-it/

And another post about it:
http://healthinsightuk.org/2014/06/17/calories-in-calories-out-the-zombie-theory-that-wont-die/

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

According to Zoe Harcombe, the 3500 calories to lose a pound is made up nonsense and nobody can point to the research that proves it:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/06/the-calorie-theory-prove-it-or-lose-it/

And another post about it:
http://healthinsightuk.org/2014/06/17/calories-in-calories-out-the-zombie-theory-that-wont-die/
A bit like water consumption, essential obviously, but how much? We are the only species with an instruction manual. 3500 cals = one pound? No, that's the traditional thinking, and calories in doesn't equal calories out.
I'm pleased to say that I know people who have done very well following things like Weight Watchers, but I always feel that it's to the organisation's advantage that we don't successfully lose weight.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased to say that I know people who have done very well following things like Weight Watchers, but I always feel that it's to the organisation's advantage that we don't successfully lose weight.
Of course it is. Although there are some people who achieve and maintain their weight loss goals with slimming clubs there are many more who fail and that only lowers self esteem and keeps the slimming club revolving doors spinning.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Keep going Schandichic! I began to lose weight on January 26th this year and as of this morning have gone from 17 st 7 lbs to 11st 11 lbs. No carbs and about 700 calories a day. I am just about to go today to give bloods so will let you know. Day 3 on new statins as cholesterol without them last time went from 4 to 5.3. No side effects yet but last time it took a week or two for them to do their worst. I am not hopeful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I am! I still want to get into the fat face dress! Christmas?! Lol!

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Ha ha! I meant not hopeful about the statins - I have every faith that you will get into the Fat Face dress by Christmas!

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had no problems with Statins.

In 2004 though my total cholesterol was 5.3 I was put on Statins because my homocysteine was elevated. However, I was also running low on B12. Turns out that the B12 was low because of medication I was taking for my refulx, so I received B12 injections and everything has been fine since.

I went down to 20mg of Stations in January 2012 but increased it up to 40mg about 6 months ago due to bad eating habits.

Now that I am eating better I am going to have the dosage lowered again because my cholesterol is well controlled and on a low carb diet will be even more so.

Whether Station are increasing my blood sugar - well I doubt it.

In 2004 my fasting sugar as 5.2. In 2012 5.8 and 5.5 and in 2014 5 & 5.6.

So I'm inclined to think that Statins have little if virtually no impact on my fasting blood glucose levels.

Palerider

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic, and getting old.
I have the same issues I am now on rosuvastatin the pain is a little better but I still find it hard to walk any great distance. Imam booked in to see the podiatrist to make sure all is ok in that area then it's a trip to the doctor to see where to go next. I need to sort stuff out and exercise as I am getting well overweight.

Macular1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheerful people
Started Simvastin in Feb, Only after talking to a friend did I realise the problems they were causing. I had put them down to My newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes.

Leg pains and loss of control. Panic attacks, Sleep loss. Weakness.Numbness in fingers.

Stop taking them about 2 months ago and now just starting to feel normal.

nicki257

Hi I was diagnosed with non Arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy last August. Basically a stroke of the optic nerve in my right eye which has left me with 50% vision loss. They do not know the actual cause but it can be related to high bp ( I was all ready on meds for that), high cholesterol or diabetes. Or you could be pre disposed to have this due to lack of space at the back of the eye. I had lots of tests and at the time my cholesterol was the higher range of normal so I was put on statins to try and prevent having the same problem with my left eye. I am on 20 mg of Simvastatin which I take at night and the only side affect I seem to have is a dry mouth.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
@nicki257 this sounds awful! Is there any possibility that your sight in your right eye will improve over time?

I was on Simvastatin, and my cholesterol came down to 4 after 2 months. However, I was taken off them as I had excruciating pains in my hips and legs at night. Two months later and my cholesterol was 5.4, despite significant weight loss and an incredibly restricted and healthy diet. I was then put on Atorvastatin a month ago - and this seems OK for me. No pain at all, and I can do my 5k every day. The GP told me there were different kinds of statins, and we can have adverse reactions to some and not others - Lipitor, Lescol, Lipostat, Crestor, Zocor . And that we can also be fine for some time then find we are having adverse symptoms.

I can't say I really understand why my cholesterol is high as it is nothing to do with food intake - so I suppose for me it must be genetic. But, she wants my level to be 4, and I think on balance that since I am not having side effects at the moment I'll continue with the Atorvaststin for the time being. I was somewhat alarmed to read that one of the side effects was to raise the BS levels though - isn't that somewhat defeating the purpose? But I SO hate taking drugs, and seem to take quite a lot at the moment (though none for my diabetes!)

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So far, I haven't had any problems and I am one medicine for cholesterol and one strictly for high triglycerides:
Crestor for cholesterol
Tricor for trig's

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Keep going Schandichic! I began to lose weight on January 26th this year and as of this morning have gone from 17 st 7 lbs to 11st 11 lbs. No carbs and about 700 calories a day. I am just about to go today to give bloods so will let you know. Day 3 on new statins as cholesterol without them last time went from 4 to 5.3. No side effects yet but last time it took a week or two for them to do their worst. I am not hopeful.

What food do you eat? How do you go zero carb?

Loving life

Rickman70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have only been on simastatin and metformin for 2.5 months and the aches/pains i am getting are terrible. i told the gp as the leaflet with the drugs advised me to, she told me to persevere......r the aches/pains permanent? sorry if ive repeated a question but the thread was so long. i was onky diagnosed in june, metformin gives me bad diarrhoea and the statin makes me ache all over...perhaps i'm just unlucky :-( whinge over. i have had problrms at work, i have to go back soon and i really feel like rubbish. thank u for reading x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The statins didn't give you the weight loss. Doc should not be telling you to "persevere" through painful side effects. She should at least give you alternative statins. There are more she hasn't tried. Insist. And if she can't find you a pain-free statin, discuss coming off them.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And ask her for time release Metformin, Metformin SR, to stop the diarrhoea.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I came off all the statins one by one in a short space of time ... lchf seems to have done the job .....

Reactions: 6 people