Popcorn kernels

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know which grocery stores might sell popcorn kernels to make your own at home in a popper:?: All I have been able to find is pre buttered, sweetened or salted microwave popcorn. I know it has to be sold somewhere but I'm just not finding it.

Thank you :D

donnamum

Tesco sell them in the organic section. Asda have them near dried fruit and cake making stuff.

Happy popping. :D

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
thanks for the recomendation on where to look in Tesco. I had asked in my local ASDA but was told all they sell is microwavable or already popped popcorn, which doesn't help when you want to make your own healthier version using plain unpopped kernals. Oh well the search continues. :D
Have a great weekend.

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
:D I got my popping corn and a popper. I had to go to Holland and Barrets for the popcorn, Tesco metro doesn't stoke it. I got a good bargain on the popper, it was £20 marked down to £9.99. I got the last one from Comet.

LesleyB

Try Julian Graves, big tesco stores should stock it too

I used to have a popcorn machine, it was great for hot popcorn.

I read something about corn being being high in carbs though, is this true?

RoseLin

Dislikes
Rules without logical explanations, blind faith, bigotry and dogma... Also stupidity, rudeness and selfishness...Also keeping animals as pets
I believe popcorn is almost pure starch, (grind corn up and you have cornflour), which is not great on a low carb regime. But... given that it swells so much when popped, and has so little weight to a bowlful, if you dont eat huge quantities it can a good friend if you need a snack, far better than succumbing to chocolate biscuits or chips, in my opinion :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Useful to know where the popcorn aisle is in the supermarket - if only to make sure you avoid it! Disaster area if you want to keep your blood sugars in control!

All the best,

fergus

Sweet3x

RoseLin said:
I believe popcorn is almost pure starch, (grind corn up and you have cornflour), which is not great on a low carb regime. But... given that it swells so much when popped, and has so little weight to a bowlful, if you dont eat huge quantities it can a good friend if you need a snack, far better than succumbing to chocolate biscuits or chips, in my opinion :)

I was told that salted popcorn was great since you can eat huge quantities of it, before it starts to contain significant amounts of carbohydrate. Obviously, you have to count it, but a large bowl has less carbs than a couple of biscuits or packet of crisps, so for a snack it's ideal.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Cheap popcorn can be found in healthfood stores like Brewmax. Most towns have a small shop somewhere that sells nuts and stuff in bulk.

Yell can tell you where your local store is - it's way cheaper than Tesco.

ally5555

i just looked at my analysis package as I couldnt remember the carb content - plain pop corn has about 50g carbs in a 100g of popcorn! That must be quite alot of popcorn but it is very easily consumed I think. Think one also has to be cautious with too many nuts - one of my clients couldnt budge a few pounds was eating around 1400 calories worth a day - i think 2 snacks a day of nuts is enough - a handful. he has since dec the nuts lost the last 5 pounds!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I've just had a tooth pulled and so can't eat my usual snack of nuts,will be interesting to see if I lose any weight. I hope so!! :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Take care Sue, and it's maybe time to cut back on the McGowans toffee, eh? Or, Coo Candy as it's known in these parts.

All the best,

fergus