Possibility of errors while using test strips

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Can we trust 100% on the readings obtained through sugar level tests using strips? What are the factors those can influence the correct number? For example, if the time gap in between placing a strip on to the device and putting blood on the strip is high , are we supposed to get error? Or may be using expired ( within limited period say months) strips ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well they are not a precision instrument by any means, they say that bg meters can be out by as much as +/- 15%, I can't see how a delay in putting blood on the test strips would effect the readings, if anything the meter will just switch itself off. Not washing hands before the test is the most obvious factor that will result in a false bg reading.

Reactions: 4 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I was thinking of the effect of air, dust on blood sample (?) ..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was thinking of the effect of air, dust on blood sample (?) ..

Those factors would have been taken into consideration when they designed the bg strips and meters, under normal conditions both wouldn't effect the accuracy of the result.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@Kaha I've found 2 things that help increase accuracy; 1 wash your hands before each test with soap and water. 2 make sure your hands are absolutely dry because sometimes a little bit of water on the hands can dilute the sample and give a low reading

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The capacity for error in a reading where blood is kept too long in the air before putting it on the test strip is surprisingly high. The meter cannot tell you there is a problem, but the reading cannot be trusted. The user manual that comes with the meter will tell you how long it is acceptable to subject blood to air for the purpose of BG testing. I read the Accuchek Mobile manual a long time ago and I can't remember the figure they gave, but I do remember being surprised at the level of inaccuracy introduced if you keep blood on your finger for more then a few seconds before putting it on the test strip. Your manual will tell you!

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
thanks all . that is how i thought it would be

Reactions: 2 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another way to imprve accuracy is to wipe away the first drop of blood and squeeze another one out to test. This is especially important if you are unable to wash or swab your fingers.

Reactions: 2 people